First 12345 Last

Eternally Burnt Out RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    613 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for a good portion of my life. I think the key to handling poor mental health is having proper outlets. For me, I draw frequently (which helps to maintain focus and get out ideas which clog my mental space) and exercise (which is a great way to release anger and the energy/restlessness associated with anxiety and stress. Self analysis also helps on occasion, because if you can figure out some of the triggers for more worse depressive states or anxiety, you can work to minimize or avoid triggers. When I get particularly down or begin drowning in intrusive thoughts, sometimes I also find it helpful to go to sleep or just lay down in bed so I can restart the next day. Therapy also helped during the brief period of time I had access to one.

Also, as difficult as it sounds, pushing yourself to be active and talk to people (not necessarily about your depression/anxiety, I don't really do that at least) is really helpful. For some people, depression can lead to self-induced social isolation and, even for your most extreme introverts, this typically isn't healthy. By forcing yourself to do work, you feel less guilty for accomplishing the supposed nothing and by socializing, you are able to keep yourself from falling into inertia. This can prevent social phobias/human based exhaustion from getting worse. Also, some level of distraction doesn't hurt as long as you don't go to extremes and completely ignore your emotions (like I have unfortunately lol).

I have a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms too that I'm still not sure how to mitigate, but being self aware (only in the sense of these mechanisms of course) can be helpful in minimizing them.

I don't personally have PTSD (or at least I hope I don't), but my mother did. For her, it was especially helpful to have an outlet/some person she was able to talk through her memories with. She also suffered from bad anxiety and depression, and I often found that her symptoms were mitigated when she spoke about her fears and paranoia and had someone to help her bounce around ideas and solve problems. This helped to prevent closing her mindset into a box and think through problems and fears semi-rationally (ie. Life is bad and can only get worse, what if I do this and then it has all these improbable consequences, all my abuse is my fault ect).
    Last edited by RadicalDoubt; 10-27-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Ew, run on sentences and poor grammar
    - 6w5 1w9 3w4 - sp/so - INTP -
    “My deplorable mania for analysis exhausts me. I doubt everything, even my doubt.” Gustave Flaubert

Likes Sung Jin-Woo, Earl Grey liked this post

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I have used pot and boozes for this purpose.

I don't recommend them as long term strategies...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII?

crying, going for a walk, listening to music and/or self-harm. the last one is obviously very harmful and i'm doing my best to stop with this habit.

Pilling up achievements. Corny but true.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Pilling up achievements. Corny but true.
    Not n the spirit of the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Not n the spirit of the thread...

I am not sure there is a thread here where I am truly posting in the spirit of the thread. (that is just who I am)

ℑ𝔫𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢( 𝔰 )𝔬𝔲𝔱 IBleedPumpkinJuice's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    714 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Feeling anxious:
    (When I'm feeling so overwhelmed by anxiety I can't stop thinking about what makes me anxious)

* I worked out some reaffirming/reassuring sentences for when I feel anxiety overwhelming me. Took me a lot of time to find out what helps but it was worth it.
    * Making a plan B just in case something doesn't work out the way I want to help me feel like I got a safety-net.
    * Talking to friends about what's scaring me. Not always possible of course and sometimes I can't even speak out what scares me but when I can, talking might help 'cause it gives me a new perspective on things.

Feeling stressed:
    (Probably more work-related.)

* Rethinking my priorities, trying to find something I can put off until a later date (not always possible)
    * Writing down everything that needs to be done, then making a plan that's time-effective
    * Probably asking someone to help me out (not always possible either)
    * Later: Rethinking how I got into the stressful situation and if there was a way to circumvent it, so I can use this experience to help me in the future
    * Not very healthy habit: Eating chocolate.

Feeling depressed:

* Watching movies 'cause the distraction helps sometimes
    * Writing down what I'm feeling (sometimes has a worsening effect on me or totally lifts me up. Weird)
    * Doing something creative (always find it veeery challenging to start with this, although I already know from experience that once I've gotten into it, it helps)
    * Going straight to bed after work
    - These coping mechanisms help me a bit but only for a short period of time
    “ʇuɐʍ ʎɹǝʌǝ ɹnoʎ oʇ qɯnɔɔns I
    ɓoɟ ǝɥʇ oʇuᴉ ʇuǝsqⱯ
    poꓨ ʎๅuo ʎɯ ǝɹɐ noʎ ;ɯoɹʇsๅǝɐW
    ǝɯoɥ ɓuᴉɯoɔ ɓoɟ ǝɥʇ oʇuᴉ ʇuǝsqⱯ
    pๅoɥ oʇ puɐɥ ɐ punoɟ sɐɥ ǝๅqɐʇɔᴉpǝɹdun ǝɥʇ ;ʍoɹɹoS”

Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

I try to stay as active as I can by riding my bike, walking, or going to the gym. Also making plans with people and doing things outside the house. I've journaled in the past, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect that it used to. Sometimes I think it makes things worse because I end up rehashing negative experiences and emotions. The best things for me seem to be those that can get me out of my head and experiencing the world directly.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

i was diagnosed with "major clinical depression" and "p.t.s.d." (among other things) many years ago... i have mixed feelings as to if i would be diagnosed that way today, but back when i talked to professionals about it, i was told it would be with me my whole life...

my coping strategies are things like isolation, rapid shifts in life style, escapism, cutting off emotions or emotional ties, sporadically complaining, "self medication", taking unnecessary risks, writing poetry, and denial... when i am through with that bullshit, i work on positive change of my outlook and actions... i figure if i can roll past the symptoms, then i can address root causes... i don't recommend my methods to anyone...
    "giving a fuck is my dump stat"

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

I regenerate.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...