• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Depression, anxiety, stress, anger P.T.S.D. What are your coping mechanisms?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for a good portion of my life. I think the key to handling poor mental health is having proper outlets. For me, I draw frequently (which helps to maintain focus and get out ideas which clog my mental space) and exercise (which is a great way to release anger and the energy/restlessness associated with anxiety and stress. Self analysis also helps on occasion, because if you can figure out some of the triggers for more worse depressive states or anxiety, you can work to minimize or avoid triggers. When I get particularly down or begin drowning in intrusive thoughts, sometimes I also find it helpful to go to sleep or just lay down in bed so I can restart the next day. Therapy also helped during the brief period of time I had access to one.

Also, as difficult as it sounds, pushing yourself to be active and talk to people (not necessarily about your depression/anxiety, I don't really do that at least) is really helpful. For some people, depression can lead to self-induced social isolation and, even for your most extreme introverts, this typically isn't healthy. By forcing yourself to do work, you feel less guilty for accomplishing the supposed nothing and by socializing, you are able to keep yourself from falling into inertia. This can prevent social phobias/human based exhaustion from getting worse. Also, some level of distraction doesn't hurt as long as you don't go to extremes and completely ignore your emotions (like I have unfortunately lol).

I have a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms too that I'm still not sure how to mitigate, but being self aware (only in the sense of these mechanisms of course) can be helpful in minimizing them.

I don't personally have PTSD (or at least I hope I don't), but my mother did. For her, it was especially helpful to have an outlet/some person she was able to talk through her memories with. She also suffered from bad anxiety and depression, and I often found that her symptoms were mitigated when she spoke about her fears and paranoia and had someone to help her bounce around ideas and solve problems. This helped to prevent closing her mindset into a box and think through problems and fears semi-rationally (ie. Life is bad and can only get worse, what if I do this and then it has all these improbable consequences, all my abuse is my fault ect).

Last edited:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I have used pot and boozes for this purpose.

I don't recommend them as long term strategies...

tired

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
crying, going for a walk, listening to music and/or self-harm. the last one is obviously very harmful and i'm doing my best to stop with this habit.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Feeling anxious:
(When I'm feeling so overwhelmed by anxiety I can't stop thinking about what makes me anxious)

* I worked out some reaffirming/reassuring sentences for when I feel anxiety overwhelming me. Took me a lot of time to find out what helps but it was worth it.
* Making a plan B just in case something doesn't work out the way I want to help me feel like I got a safety-net.
* Talking to friends about what's scaring me. Not always possible of course and sometimes I can't even speak out what scares me but when I can, talking might help 'cause it gives me a new perspective on things.

Feeling stressed:
(Probably more work-related.)

* Rethinking my priorities, trying to find something I can put off until a later date (not always possible)
* Writing down everything that needs to be done, then making a plan that's time-effective
* Probably asking someone to help me out (not always possible either)
* Later: Rethinking how I got into the stressful situation and if there was a way to circumvent it, so I can use this experience to help me in the future
* Not very healthy habit: Eating chocolate.

Feeling depressed:

* Watching movies 'cause the distraction helps sometimes
* Writing down what I'm feeling (sometimes has a worsening effect on me or totally lifts me up. Weird)
* Doing something creative (always find it veeery challenging to start with this, although I already know from experience that once I've gotten into it, it helps)
* Going straight to bed after work
- These coping mechanisms help me a bit but only for a short period of time

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I try to stay as active as I can by riding my bike, walking, or going to the gym. Also making plans with people and doing things outside the house. I've journaled in the past, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect that it used to. Sometimes I think it makes things worse because I end up rehashing negative experiences and emotions. The best things for me seem to be those that can get me out of my head and experiencing the world directly.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was diagnosed with "major clinical depression" and "p.t.s.d." (among other things) many years ago... i have mixed feelings as to if i would be diagnosed that way today, but back when i talked to professionals about it, i was told it would be with me my whole life...

my coping strategies are things like isolation, rapid shifts in life style, escapism, cutting off emotions or emotional ties, sporadically complaining, "self medication", taking unnecessary risks, writing poetry, and denial... when i am through with that bullshit, i work on positive change of my outlook and actions... i figure if i can roll past the symptoms, then i can address root causes... i don't recommend my methods to anyone...

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I regenerate.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anger and stress are in the same zip code with PTSD and depression? And they are all just intense emotions? I must be doing something wrong.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Anger and stress are in the same zip code with PTSD and depression? And they are all just intense emotions? I must be doing something wrong.

I took the question simply as "What do you do when you feel bad ?" or perhaps "What do you do to not feel bad ?".

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Re-edit:

Problem Solving During Times Of Emotional Distress

"In times of stress or feeling any overt negative emotional difficulty I try focusing on three main focal points to help get out of an emotional difficulty and possibly getting out of a triggered response. How do I deal when facing a conflict? When and if I become triggered I try riding the storm of emotion out. I say, "And this too shall pass." Maybe, tomorrow I will have a more pleasant day. It is rolling with the punches. I always am hoping always for the best.

(1) I try handling a difficult crises or topics I find repellent with a realistic and pragmatic stance. I ask myself what I reasonably can do? Problems however do not solve themselves. It takes a willing heart, focus and determination in order to enact societal change. If it is within my power then I will act accordingly to correct an injustice. Barring this course of action, I then if applicable I will alert a higher authority who has some power over the situation such as a teacher, parent, boss, legal recourse, or the police. I seek to problem solve and not cast blame nor castigate the other person.

(2) I refocus on what I can do to take back a measure of control. I do what I can do at the moment even if it's not what I initially intended. This gives one a measure and sense of accomplishment. Doing this can help recharge one's batteries and increase clarity of mind. Thus we are less likely to do something irrational and most certainly not in our best interests. Walking away from the situation for awhile can give you time for a solution to become more readily apparent.

(3) If this course of action does not bear fruit then I do not dwell or ruminate on what I can't change.

I don't dwell, ruminate or go in a circular defeated pattern like a snake trying to devour its own head. A new fresh perspective is needed. To ruminate is as to sink into a quagmire of quicksand derived from our own thinking and thus become prey to self induced suffering produced by our own thoughts. We allow our thoughts in effect to become our enemy. Not trying to exercise cognitive restraint is a by product of an undisciplined mind. It shows a lack of emotional, spiritual as well psychological health. What's more it shows a lack of maturity and development." LightSun

Mole

Permabanned
Do you suffer from any intense emotion such as depression, anxiety, stress, anger P.T.S.D., etc. What are your symptoms? What are your coping mechanisms?

I was accused the other day of being anxious and constricting my veins, when things go wrong, they blame the patient, in fact I have OE (Over Excitability) where I have a high response to stimulae, both internal and external.

This is both good and bad. In some circumstances I have 100% recall, it's wonderful for writing, but sometimes it is too much for people and I have to throttle back. Those with OE are a small subset, probably no more than 2%, and understandably the 98% are not interested in the emotional needs of the OE.

So my coping mechanisms are intellectualisation, sex and romance, reading and eating, and long distance running and dancing, and sharing myself with others.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes, esoecially recently I have been feeling incredibly depressed.Just do whatever I can to keep my head above he swamp and keep moving forward.

I am good at it. Too good at it, I think. I wonder if knowing when to quit is some sort of evolutionary trait, or perhaps some gene that I am missing.

I’ve been in situations that would make anyone else( smarter people?) Crumble and I just don’t.

I realize that sounds like sounds like bragging, and I am proud of my tenacity-to an extent. I do think that there is a limit, a point at which refusing to give up and give in is just stupid ( like there is a lesson I should be learning, or maybe even growing as an individual) but I don’t.
I just dust myself and ram right into the same brick wall with faith that even if we both crumble I can put myself back together easier than it will.

I think it is because something that I find to be an absolute truth is that the only time things truly cannot improve is once I’m dead. That’s probably why I’ve never been suicidal.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was 14, mostly anxiety. I do drown out my feelings a lot with music, plus I do like to dance, and exercise does really help. I get a bunch of pent up energy even when I'm happy, so I have to pace around a lot to calm myself down. Also, I always bring my headphones to school, not just because of music, but because I deal with a lot of sensory overload. Something as simple as looking at memes helps, plus bingewatching a good series. I try to talk to my friends-however, it depends on how I feel. If I'm angry I'm more likely to isolate myself. If sad or anxious, I'm more likely to talk, albeit on the internet and to a few select people. I do enjoy a good cup of tea-ashgawandha is a good one for anxiety.

Lark

In relation to these types of things in particular do you think that there are benefits to be derived from therapy which can not be discovered from the careful study of the training texts and knowledge base of the therapists?

Also, do you think, if you've any experience with therapists, that the relationship with the therapist is as important or more important than the theory or knowledge base they may possess or school of thought they might belong to?

Finally, why would a relationship have a curative property or assist in coping? Or developing an independent coping mechanisms?

Lark

Been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was 14, mostly anxiety. I do drown out my feelings a lot with music, plus I do like to dance, and exercise does really help. I get a bunch of pent up energy even when I'm happy, so I have to pace around a lot to calm myself down. Also, I always bring my headphones to school, not just because of music, but because I deal with a lot of sensory overload. Something as simple as looking at memes helps, plus bingewatching a good series. I try to talk to my friends-however, it depends on how I feel. If I'm angry I'm more likely to isolate myself. If sad or anxious, I'm more likely to talk, albeit on the internet and to a few select people. I do enjoy a good cup of tea-ashgawandha is a good one for anxiety.

Is the anxiety and depression brought on my emotional flooding or what is the trigger? If you know the trigger does it determine or influence the coping mechanism?

Also do you think that affect/emotion precedes or is a priori to thinking or vice versa? Like emotion determines your thinking and then the thinking determines your feeling? Or is it just a matter that thinking determines how you feel and if you spot it in time and change it up you wont feel bad in the first place?

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is the anxiety and depression brought on my emotional flooding or what is the trigger? If you know the trigger does it determine or influence the coping mechanism?

Also do you think that affect/emotion precedes or is a priori to thinking or vice versa? Like emotion determines your thinking and then the thinking determines your feeling? Or is it just a matter that thinking determines how you feel and if you spot it in time and change it up you wont feel bad in the first place?

I've discovered it's mostly from stress(school), loneliness, bad memories and life feeling dull. It mostly influences the coping mechanism, like if I'm stressed I try to do something relaxing like drink tea or bingwatch YouTube or Netflix. I got extremely stressed this semester and tbh couldn't tell if it was anxiety and/ or depression coming back for awhile. Tiredness, sensory overload, boredom, frustration, anxiousness in the middle of the night. Weirdly enough though, I isolate myself even when feeling lonely. Though when I was first diagnosed I couldn't pinpoint a cause. My anxiety was about so many random things, which is why it's called generalized anxiety I guess. I think in the beginning stages thinking determines how I feel, but it the worse stages emotions determine my thinking.

Lark

I've discovered it's mostly from stress(school), loneliness, bad memories and life feeling dull. It mostly influences the coping mechanism, like if I'm stressed I try to do something relaxing like drink tea or bingwatch YouTube or Netflix. I got extremely stressed this semester and tbh couldn't tell if it was anxiety and/ or depression coming back for awhile. Tiredness, sensory overload, boredom, frustration, anxiousness in the middle of the night. Weirdly enough though, I isolate myself even when feeling lonely. Though when I was first diagnosed I couldn't pinpoint a cause. My anxiety was about so many random things, which is why it's called generalized anxiety I guess. I think in the beginning stages thinking determines how I feel, but it the worse stages emotions determine my thinking.

I've experienced the GAD stuff too, I thought it was PTSD at first but its unlikely to be linked to a single incident at this point so its what they'd call complex trauma.

The symptoms in my case are episodic rather than consistent or constant, if that makes sense, I know that the CBT people think its all thinking and controlling your thoughts will eliminate any feelings etc. but I think that's optimistic. The psycho-analytical idea about affect/emotion happening first, thoughts following afterwards, often rationalizing rather than reasoning, makes more sense to me. Although I dont think that psycho-analysis' idea that insight is sufficient to dispel symptoms is entirely right either.