• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth Order and Personality

As an only child I was always pegged as too serious but if you’re like me and spent a lot of time alone you develop a very distinct individuality and viewpoint and your two major sources of company are adults so being serious for my age made sense.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm the middle child. My brother is five years older and sister a couple years younger. I seem to have characteristics of a firstborn or only child. The middle child characteristics don't fit at all. Maybe it's because the five year difference which is a lot. I would say my older brother and sister got more attention though. For sure my sister was spoiled by my dad. Maybe intjs are so independent, they don't fit the mold.

skimpit

I kind of match with the last-born. I am that - the last-born, that is.

My sister is definitely the more responsible one, but she's done a lot of things that would make her seem not so. She says she's an open book but in reality she hides things under the label of "I'm an adult, and I don't have to tell you everything about me". My mom says I've earned the not knowing, because I tell other people our family business. I used to, but I don't know if I really had a good sense of when to tell people things and when not to. At the time I would say things, it would make sense to be honest because I'd want my friends to know about me and give me advice, but I was always shamed for doing so if I told my mom I said something she deemed inappropriate to utter outside the house.

To this day I'm not sure I know what to tell and what not to, so I'm kind of glad I don't have any real friends to spill it to, and no one online who will listen to my rants.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, only childs are very often mature, but also seek a lot of attention.

The third one is looking for fusion, or looking for exclusive attention (depending on scares).
They can, if unbalanced sexually look for a kind of abusive/toxic threesome (be the lover because they didn't have the right attention of the father/mother etc)

The second one has very often some scares of abandonment or rejection depending here again of their own story and "emotional shadows"

The first one like me is more prone to have problems with authority, arrogance, or control in general (depending here again of childhood).
At their best they are good advisers, independant. Hard-to-please with themselves and/or others.

We always look for what we didn't get or we look for a balance anyway unconsciously.
For example I had been desired very much by my parents. I have suffered in my life of not feeling desired enough by my partners (sx subtype) so I was changing partners all the time, until I decided to work on myself.
The look we received (interpreted of course by the ego) on our actions can make us evolve or regress...

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Middle Child

"The middle child often feels left out and a sense of, 'Well, I'm not the oldest. I'm not the youngest. Who am I?'" says therapist Meri Wallace. This sort of hierarchical floundering leads middle children to make their mark among their peers, since parental attention is usually devoted to the beloved firstborn or baby of the family.

In general, middle children tend to possess the following characteristics:

People-pleasers
Somewhat rebellious
Thrives on friendships
Has large social circle
Peacemaker *sometimes*

I suck at friendships lol

I relate far more with the only child but as said it is the one with all the expectations - which is how my family is with me.

Tengri

I'm the oldest of 5 and can relate to aspects of being the eldest and an only child, especially being dully (and duly) conscientious and perfectionistic. My sister is competitive and rebellious and my brother is irresponsible, fun-loving, and irreverent. My other two siblings are almost a generation younger, so they have their own dynamic, though probably more like only children, even if my sister, brother, and I helped raise them, too. Birth order has definitely influenced aspects of my personality, though I really didn't like being saddled with the extra responsibility of being an example or living up to high expectations set by my family. Adulthood cured much of that, thankfully. I do appreciate that I'm very close to my siblings and parents because of it, so it wasn't a complete hassle.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My family is too complicated to fit into this.

I was 2nd born, but then my older sister ran away and I then took on the role as first born. But I act more like the Only child.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Firstborn

As the leader of the pack, firstborns often tend to be:

Reliable
Conscientious
Structured
Cautious
Controlling
Achievers
Firstborns bask in their parents' presence, which may explain why they sometimes act like mini-adults. Firstborns are diligent and want to be the best at everything they do. They excel at winning the hearts of their elders.

I mean, these are pretty vague traits, but I do relate to all of them to some extent. Except acting like a mini-adult, since I'm often told I'm immature.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Only child, I didn't really fit into these traits until my teenage years. I was not very conscientious, I was kind of immature and annoying and bratty. Brainy, but not that diligent. The only ounce of maturity I had was my introspective nature-I was throwing tantrums till I was like 13. I do have a stepsister, but she didn't come in until I was 15. We are the same age, but she's played more of the younger sister role in my family and me the older sister. I'm not sure if it was thanks to her or simply getting older that I developed those traits, but I'm glad I did.