User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default You're too close minded (an attempt at a serious disscussion)

what does this mean to you?

is it a good thing or a bad thing?

do you think you're more closed minded or open minded?

have you ever been accused of being too open minded?

in your mind is this type related? if so how?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Also liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

close minded to me means not interested in the points of view of others... in extreme cases, willing to ignore data plainly in front of you... in favor of what you've already decided

most people are pretty close minded, especially when it comes to topics like politics and social mores and such

I've been told that I'm fairly open minded, but I suspect that's just because I see no point in arguing things with most people because they ARE close minded, so my silence on the issue is seen as open mindedness... I'm not (except for in the cases of art, literature and food) but I see no point in trying to force my views on others either because it's an exercise in futility
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes prplchknz, lightsun liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    what does this mean to you?

is it a good thing or a bad thing?

do you think you're more closed minded or open minded?

have you ever been accused of being too open minded?

in your mind is this type related? if so how?
    to me it means not rushing to judgement, or if you do, being able to walk back that judgement and reassess.

i tend to test extremely high on open minded for OCEAN. just had to take the test again for my psych class and I got 96%... i think there is some truth to that, but maybe not to that extreme?

i can be pretty judgemental on some things, but i also find that there are very few exceptions, including politics, where i am unable or unwanting to reevaluate my position. it may not be easy with some entrenched thoughts and viewpoints. but i like trying at least and pushing through.

i find a good mix of both open and close. being too close-minded gets on my nerves if it comes off as being closed minded to just be close minded? a recent example is i made an offhand remark in front of my stepmother that i felt bad for melania because of how tight security in the white house is, and how being in that position would be such a prison. and she just went offfffffffffffffff on me. and yeah, i get it boohoo a billionaire's wife feels trapped. but at the same time i'm thinking of how terrible i would find it. how suffocating. and how much i hate being trapped by physical circumstances. (which is a big reason why i've never wanted kids is because the whole pregnancy thing freaks me out with the fact that you are trapped in that moment with pain and you can't charm or word your way out, you're just stuck pushing a watermelon out of your lemon aperture. no thanks.)
    Likes prplchknz, Dreamer, lightsun, jamain liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Yeah Ive been told Im open minded. Which isnt always the best thing because... when you believe everything COULD be possible it is hard to dismiss ANYTHING. You can believe in the possibility of even things that are just really unlikely,

Hah. Which is a part of why I do not type myself. To many ‘what if’s
    Do one thing every day that scares you- Eleanor Roosevelt

Johari

Nohari
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

Too much of anything is bad whether it be closed or open mindedness.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so
    Likes prplchknz, Cellmold, chubber liked this post

Slightly Petulant Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Close minded is definitely a derogatory term. It means you’re unwilling to be open to differing opinions or concepts. Willfully ignorant. I also scored very high on openness on the OCEAN test (which is good because some of my other scores are abysmal). If I said I haven’t reconsidered several of my viewpoints over a lifetime of exposure to new experiences I’d be an epic liar. Some people mistake being mentally flexible for being weak. Lacking a strong but flexible framework from which to approach things- suffering from mental rigidity- is true weakness.

Now that being said, willingness to except differing opinions and concepts (open mindedness) doesn’t mean absolutely condoning others views for fear of appearing intolerant. You still might assess and judge the subject against your own opinions and beliefs and reject them. It’s the willingness to at least examine a position or concept and not just automatically dismiss it because it doesn’t fit your ideals. There are many things I disagree with or don’t mesh with my view but I attempt to understand them unless they are so morally reprehensible to me that they are fundamentally wrong according to my code. Even then I may understand something on a logical level but disregard it on moral grounds.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I suppose that I am very open-minded that it sort of doubles back around into closed-mindedness.

I never take articles or stories at face value. I assume they are always told from one perspective and cannot come to a conclusion without the other. I get extremely annoyed at others who don't. I always assume that the truth is neither this perspective or that but somewhere in between. Yet i realize that it is entirely possible it may in fact be one or the other but unless I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt I will never accept it.
    "It's a good day to die, Valhalla! Who wants some blue potato chips?"
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Te

It is usually relate when someone is unable to see another perspective. Stubbornness. Very common for people who have strong Si or weak Ni.
    True Neutral 8 1 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017
    === Challenger Perfectionist Motivator Inventor===

Some people tell me often that I am not normal and I don't know why?
    I am just ME.... Is it crime to be ME or what?
    Likes prplchknz, meowington liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Ha. People have claimed I am close minded for much of my life. But, the vast majority that do, hsve an agenda against me and are not qualified to judge that in me. The main thing is I am very decisive and stubborn. At tjis point if someone tells me I sm being close minded I just roll my eyes. It means nothing to me and I do not care.
    Likes Yuu, prplchknz, cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Ha. People have claimed I am close minded for much of my life. But, the vast majority that do, hsve an agenda against me and are not qualified to judge that in me. The main thing is I am very decisive and stubborn. At tjis point if someone tells me I sm being close minded I just roll my eyes. It means nothing to me and I do not care.
    Something I hear often may apply to you; " You're so judgemental! But your judgements have never been wrong and I greatly rely on them!"
    "It's a good day to die, Valhalla! Who wants some blue potato chips?"
    Likes Hard, Bush liked this post