• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You're too close minded (an attempt at a serious disscussion)

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
what does this mean to you?

is it a good thing or a bad thing?

do you think you're more closed minded or open minded?

have you ever been accused of being too open minded?

in your mind is this type related? if so how?
Like any good shame tactic, calling somebody closed minded has the virtue of being insulting while remaining vague. Typically, the person who says it has taken no greater effort to understand the other side's argument than the target of their attack. But they go on the attack anyway as a last ditch effort to change the other person's mind.

Honestly, why should I change my mind? I believe what I believe because I've studied the matters I care about with a sufficient degree of detail to be confident in my opinion. If someone tells me I'm closed minded, I usually reply by thanking them. Fucks them up every time.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am rather open minded, when unchecked it's to the point of naivety, but I don't express that at all, so I mostly come across as a stuborn and arrogant know-it-all.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I consider myself extremely open minded, but just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I cannot see things your way. It honestly pains me to argue with people who have good intention, and well aimed beliefs, but are too short sighted to see all the realistic consequences certain beliefs will create. No matter how well intentioned they are. I play the long game with my beliefs, and I see certain patterns in everything that are bound to repeat. Im not naive enough to think I can stop it though. That's an endless battle.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
People think I am because I will state my opinion and refuse to argue over it.

The truth is I just don't care enough to argue-most of the time. I find arguing opinions to be a juvenile exercise in futility. Like, it's an opinion. I don't care if someone agrees or disagrees. It doesn't matter. If it is a topic that I do feel strongly about, that I think does have an objective truth I'll give them any information they may be missing and they can do with it what they will.

I used to enjoy debating with people. Until I was hit with an Epiphany. I was debating someone on a historical forum. ONE guy was dissenting with the rest of us. We all kept telling him " We KNOW that isn't what happened. It ALREADY happened there is no room for argument." and he just kept digging in. Not even with something like " Well, you know history was written with by the victors" or any sort of criticism of perspective. Just kept shaking his head screaming "NOPE!! NOPE! NOPE!"

And it occurred to me that 'fact' really depends on the person and I don't have the time or patience to waste on that shit.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what does this mean to you?
Typically, when people say such a thing, it's related to seeing things in a black and white manner, not being able to consider the possibilities, or being unable to change your initial impression of something even after more information is provided to place that something in a "positive light."

is it a good thing or a bad thing?
If never heard such a phrase used in a positive light. In some sense, being close minded probably goes along with being more decisive or opinionated, which has it's benefits, but more often than not close mindedness is considered a flaw.

do you think you're more closed minded or open minded?
Depends on the context. I'm very wishy washy and very rarely have strong impressions of things in this sense, so I'm typically fairly open minded and actually intrigued to hear points of views which lie outside of my own. Even experience wise, I enjoy trying new things and enjoy considering scenarios and people very much unlike myself. I'm very slow to judgement in this respect.
HOWEVER
There are some things I'm fairly closed minded about, sometimes in terms of principle, other times in terms of what I understand and do not. I'd think I'm more open minded than average, but not to an extreme.

have you ever been accused of being too open minded?
No. I have some counter views that I enjoy considering, however I rarely share the contents of my mind with others.

in your mind is this type related? if so how?
Ehh there's probably small correlations. In the big 5, it's definitely related to the openness facet, for obvious reasons. More agreeable individuals may be slightly more open as well if sympathy or empathy is considered a facet of agreeableness.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I prefer to think of the term in a neutral sense.

Open = able to be built upon, without firm boundaries.

Closed = bounded, not able to be added to.

So a person who is close-minded might be someone who says something "as it is", rather than a guess-in-flux.