Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Something I hear often my apply to you; " You're so judgemental! But your judgements have never been wrong and I greatly rely on them!"
    Yes, that does apply to me .
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Context matters. Relative to politics, at present, slammed shut since I don't like what I see with the current Admin. Relative to people, at meet and greet, primarily open until they evidence patterns of behaviour that set off warnings. Relative to discussion/debate about new topics, relatively wide open even though I question things that don't make sense.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Generally speaking, I am open and if you give me a POV with logical, sensible (no not what one thinks is logical and sensible to them, what actually is), I'll listen. I've changed political views as well as personal views I once had due to these compelling arguments. To me being close minded comes directly from fear of the unknown and a mental block to any new data. People can choose to be lead by fear or not, up to them entirely, however these tend to be the least logical people so a compelling argument based on fact isn't going to work for them, it has to appeal to their emotional, reactionary personality.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes prplchknz, Snow as White, lightsun liked this post

I think it depends on the topic.

I would say that there's some topics I'm not worried about being close minded about and think there ought to me much, much more close mindedness about, but there are others which I would be less keen on being described as close minded about. Most of the time people who've said I'm close minded about something have drastically under estimated the amount of thinking I've done before I've actually arrived at an opinion ABOUT ANYTHING, often its a lot more than they themselves have done.

To me both can and are used as vague generalisations used to label people, shut them down, or conversely entice them into some kind of discussion by provoking them to protest "I'm not close minded" or "I am open minded".
    Likes prplchknz, Yuu, cascadeco, lightsun liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Generally speaking, I am open and if you give me a POV with logical, sensible (no not what one thinks is logical and sensible to them, what actually is), I'll listen. I've changed political views as well as personal views I once had due to these compelling arguments. To me being close minded comes directly from fear of the unknown and a mental block to any new data. People can choose to be lead by fear or not, up to them entirely, however these tend to be the least logical people so a compelling argument based on fact isn't going to work for them, it has to appeal to their emotional, reactionary personality.
    It can be the bolded but it can also be certainty about social and economic policies, relative to most destructive and least destructive. Even if someone logically lays out social and economic policies, if they're destructive to most and beneficial to very few even if I'm one of the few, I can't accept that.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm very open minded to understanding what the world and people are. I'm more close minded as to what I want see and be within it.
    ▵▵▵
    Likes Luminous liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    yupp

I'm not sure if I'm open minded or close minded, I'm open to either possibility. So many people will huff at the idea that they might be close minded, though I do agree 9 out of 10 times someone saying your closed minded is just away to tear you down. but that being said i could be either way.
    Likes bechimo, Snow as White liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm open minded or close minded, I'm open to either possibility. So many people will huff at the idea that they might be close minded, though I do agree 9 out of 10 times someone saying your closed minded is just away to tear you down. but that being said i could be either way.
    Often, it's moreso 'you're close minded to what I believe in' which makes me chuckle since unintended irony can be quite funny.
    Likes cascadeco, Snow as White, jamain liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

While I definitely understand and can relate to how frustrating it can be to be interacting with someone who is incredibly black and white, won't budge on anything, is very much in their own bubble, etc etc, at the same time I don't actually think being super open-minded is an incredibly glamorous desirable thing either. I mean at the opposite extreme you have someone who is so bendable that they almost have no identity or personal values/opinions at all. Sure this can make for interesting discussions but at the same time this person can also be targeted by those who want to take advantage of that malleability (/ negative spin), or they have difficulties making any decisions due to their 'openness'.

Anyway, I'm probably kinda in the middle. I can be insanely stubborn, because I do have strong values when it comes to some things (for example: nature/environmental stewardship/ not exploiting the land), and I really am not interested in 'exploring' the opposite side. Or I have my own beliefs around more philosophical/life views and perspectives, and while I can certainly listen to others and appreciate other viewpoints, I'm probably not gonna shift a whole lot since I've put lots of thought into why I believe what I believe, etc; but nor am I out trying to convince others either in some debate (I'm not a debate person). So, yeah. At one point in life, when I was younger, I think I thought it was a super negative thing to NOT be open-minded... but I'm kinda shifting as I get older and I am o.k. with being stubborn and set in some of my opinions and such.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes prplchknz, Luminous, lightsun liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Could I ask what you are talking about here in the part I highlighted? I'm just interested.

Also, as a matter of interest, how does telling people that they are [I]lead by fear[I] or that they are responding to appeal to their emotional, reactionary personality work in terms of bringing them around to your own way of thinking?

I'll give you an example of being extremely close minded that I'm very much a fan of as an example of when it does not come from fear of the unknown, I meet people occasionally, it once happened on this site a long time ago on this site, I think it was Elfboy who posted repeatedly about it, who try to argue that there ought to be no age of conscent in terms of sexual behaviour, or that the age of conscent should be as young as 12 or 14, now I'm outrageously comfortable with being very closeminded on this topic and that sexual behaviour should not be encouraged at such a young age, not with peers, not with the creepy old men involved in some sort of disgusting cash transaction which I imagine this scenario is much more likely to involve.

There's a bunch of reasons for this, I could simply defer to the law of the land, public policy in my country or professional practice of the public authorities but in the main its because of a seriously long winded ethical and moral philosophical consideration that no one should be anothers means to an end, that the categorical imperative of respecting anothers right to self-determination is justified when managing the risk of significant harm is at stake. Also considerations about maturation, appropriate intergenerational relationships, the incidence of and social policing of exploitative personality types, societal norms with respect of sadism, cruelty etc. play their part too but in the main I'm very much fine with being close minded about that. In fact I dont even discuss it much these days. That same sort of rationale I'd apply to most other topics that I consider in the same category, euthanasia, people trafficking, assisted suicide, some sorts of late term abortions, slavery revivals, ethno-nationalisms etc.

Some days I just think taboos have served a very good role for a very long time and probably did not emerge over night or because someone was a jerk in the past and the pas is full of jerks whereas the present has some kind of superior knowledge, just because.

I'm aware of just how far the whole open mindedness argument took sketchy, shady movements such as the NAMBLA group into left wing camps such as the ACLU, communist fringe groups in the US and in the UK groups like Liberty (its the equivalent of the ACLU), there was a raft of arrests of individuals for sex offences within various gay rights or gay welfare groups at one time in the UK, and I dont mean a bunch of minor call operators or something either, but real discussion of this by liberals is difficult and generally just avoided. Which is a shame, if people are going to, rightly, attack older institutions for their handling of these sorts of things its unwise to start out by repeating their errors in the practices of your new social movements.

Anyway, point's made and I'm not trying to label anyone or make anyone feel bad. I also acknowledge its not a fun topic and no I dont spend all my time every day focused upon such sinister and depressing topic matter.