• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nostalgia smacked me in the face!!!

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
Have any of you ever been smacked in the face by nostalgia? I know that sounds weird, but that's what happened to me recently.

Hey, this is Louise. I've written in this group before, but it's been a while. I am an "alter" or "part" in a system of a person who has DID, which stands for dissociative identity disorder. To learn more about that, you can read my previous post here...

https://www.typologycentral.com/for...pes-helped-bring-balance-own.html#post2966780

or my "internal sister" Leyna's introductory post of our system here...

https://www.typologycentral.com/for...1-hello-introduce-myselves-4.html#post2949762

Having gotten that out of the way, on to what I really wanted to write about today...

So, the other day I was in a small local bookstore that is around the corner from where we work. Some of the others had been to this bookstore fairly often in the past, but we hadn't been there in a while, and I don't think I, Louise, have ever been there before. I've been wanting to go there for a while. It seemed like it would be heaven for me. And it was!

You see, I used to be the head librarian of the library in our inner world. I say "used to be" because the library doesn't exist anymore. (Long story for another time...) And this was a very "old school" bookstore that feels more like a library, not like the big corporate Barnes & Noble type bookstores (Not that I don't enjoy going to those also...) Another thing about this bookstore that I knew I would LOVE is the fact that it has very very narrow aisles and low ceilings in the basement. Why would I love that, you ask? Well, I know this is going to sound weird, but I absolutely love being in small, cramped spaces. I do NOT like being outside or even in buildings that have huge rooms with really tall ceilings. I guess you could say I'm agoraphobic, although from what I've heard a lot of agoraphobic people are like that because they are afraid of "the outside world", people, society, etc., which I am not. For me it really is about the fact that large spaces make me feel unsafe, small spaces make me feel safe, regardless of how many or how few people are with me.

Anyway, so I was down in the basement of this AWESOME bookstore, and I turned a corner, and I saw... a whole section of books about space exploration!!! And it was, like, "BAM!!!!" Nostalgia just smacked me in the face. It immediately brought back childhood memories of how I was very fascinated with space exploration, and astronomy (not to be confused with astrology, which I have never been interested in.) I think the reason this took me by surprise so much is that until recently, I, and most of us, had assumed that most of our childhood memories were "Doug's" memories. That's because we are a bit of an unusual system in that we share almost all of our external memories, but have a LOT of amnesia of internal memories. That meant that when we were growing up, Doug remembered pretty much everything that went on, but he didn't realize how much of "his" memories weren't actually his own but other parts' memories. Well, now we are starting to figure out which memories belong to who, and sometimes it's very startling, because I didn't know that those certain memories belonged to me until I'm reminded of them.

I ended up not looking through that section, because I knew that if I did, I would end up spending too much time there, and we were on a time crunch. I will have to go back some time when we have more time to look around. I did buy a couple books by a couple of my favorite science fiction authors, Alfred Bester and Stanislaw Lem. Both of those authors are really good at telling stories that are simultaneously really intelligent AND really creative, which is a rare feat. It's like the left and right side of their brains are both working overtime, which is really cool. Another author like that is Kurt Vonnegut, I really like his stuff too.

Has anybody else had experiences like this, where you were really just startled by a sudden nostalgic moment of memories? Just curious to know if this kind of thing happens to non-DID people as well. Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be only one person in one body...

Take care! Thanks for reading! - Louise

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hey [MENTION=30038]The Grey Wizard[/MENTION], thanks for liking my post! Let me know what you think of it, please! Thanks! - Louise

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just did a group project on DID for my Psych of the Life Span class. :) [I wondered at the meta of doing this topic as a group project...:D]

As to your question, I definitely can get hit randomly by nostalgia. I was cleaning a closet a few weeks ago and found some really old video games from my childhood/teen years and felt this intense urge to play them again. Or my bf found my highschool yearbooks and wanted to hear about the people who wrote in them and it was just such an odd feeling. being almost immersed in the essence of that time period, but not.

I think what I find is when I am confronted by something from a long time ago in the past, when it's in a different era of life (childhood, teenager, etc) that it feels like it somehow happened to someone else. There is a thread of a path that connects me from this point to the beginning point, and the closer the thread is to me now, the thicker it looks. But so far back, I know we are connected, but it no longer has the immediacy. I used to be that child. I used to think those things. The house used to smell this way. It's a weird feeling. Sometimes I enjoy it for the sudden rush of pleasant memories. Other times I don't.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yes, it happened just the other day...but my short term memory is garbage so I have no story.

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, it happened just the other day...but my short term memory is garbage so I have no story.

Sure, I'll take some blue potato chips! And maybe a blue milk to go with it... But not the green milk that you have to milk yourself...No thanks, Luke!!!

LOL!

Louise

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
I just did a group project on DID for my Psych of the Life Span class. :) [I wondered at the meta of doing this topic as a group project...:D]

As to your question, I definitely can get hit randomly by nostalgia. I was cleaning a closet a few weeks ago and found some really old video games from my childhood/teen years and felt this intense urge to play them again. Or my bf found my highschool yearbooks and wanted to hear about the people who wrote in them and it was just such an odd feeling. being almost immersed in the essence of that time period, but not.

I think what I find is when I am confronted by something from a long time ago in the past, when it's in a different era of life (childhood, teenager, etc) that it feels like it somehow happened to someone else. There is a thread of a path that connects me from this point to the beginning point, and the closer the thread is to me now, the thicker it looks. But so far back, I know we are connected, but it no longer has the immediacy. I used to be that child. I used to think those things. The house used to smell this way. It's a weird feeling. Sometimes I enjoy it for the sudden rush of pleasant memories. Other times I don't.

You think THAT's meta...we used to be in a therapy support group with other DID systems...

But seriously, if you're interested to learn more about DID, we are happy to tell you of our experiences. Feel free to ask anything. If you happen to ask anything too personal, we will let you know, but we won't be offended.

Thanks for answering my question. Even though we thought that we were one person until the age of 18 (when Doug first "met" Leyna), we were really multiple since the age of four, so that makes us realize that we really have no idea what it's like to be only one person. So sometimes we are just as curious about you as you are about us. That's interesting that you say that nostalgia sometimes makes you feel like you are remembering someone else's memories. For me, it was just the opposite. The nostalgia reminded me that memories that I thought were someone else's (Doug's) were actually my own. And believe it or not, I think that felt just as odd, in a way. We have been in therapy for quite a while, but due to our amnesia of internal world memories growing up, I am just recently realizing how much of our childhood was actually me, Louise. Basically, the "Doug" of our childhood years was known as being an artist and an intellectual. Well, we're finding out now that the artist side was Doug, and the intellectual side was me. Not that Doug isn't intelligent too, of course. But I'm the one who was really passionate about learning, and was always checking books out of the library to learn new things, even if it was unrelated to what I was learning in school at the time. My little sister Mattie, who was my assistant librarian in the internal world library, is also quite the intellectual. She is more of an extroverted intellectual, whereas I am more of an introvert.

Anyway, I might have to go back to that bookstore sometime and buy a nice vintage 1980's oversized book about NASA, just for nostalgia's sake...

Thanks for chatting, and feel free to respond again with any questions or comments. Or if you want to leave comments on my other post or Leyna's post that I linked above, feel free to do that too.

Take care,

Louise Vincent

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sure, I'll take some blue potato chips! And maybe a blue milk to go with it... But not the green milk that you have to milk yourself...No thanks, Luke!!!

LOL!

Louise

I must be the only person who liked the green milk scene. It was so delightfully weird.

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
Gotta be honest-no idea what either of you are referencing.

It's a Star Wars thing. The "blue milk" is from Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode 4), when Luke is having dinner with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. The "green milk scene" is from Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode 8).

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
I must be the only person who liked the green milk scene. It was so delightfully weird.

Actually, I thought the same thing. Delightfully weird. I personally didn't mind the fact that there were several things in that movie that you wouldn't expect from Star Wars. It's called being creative. If Star Wars is not allowed to ever change, it will eventually stagnate and die, which would be a shame.

Louise

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's a Star Wars thing. The "blue milk" is from Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode 4), when Luke is having dinner with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. The "green milk scene" is from Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode 8).

Ah. Thanks for explaining-never seen it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, I thought the same thing. Delightfully weird. I personally didn't mind the fact that there were several things in that movie that you wouldn't expect from Star Wars. It's called being creative. If Star Wars is not allowed to ever change, it will eventually stagnate and die, which would be a shame.

I agree.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah. Thanks for explaining-never seen it.

db7.gif

It comes from a space walrus.

dougvincent1138

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmmm...I'm wondering...is it common for threads to get this far off track from the original post this quickly?

Not that I ever mind talking about Star Wars, of course...

Louise