• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metaphors Potentially Shaping the Perception of Others?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Literally just found this article on my browser and I will admit I didn't read it all, I didn't need to, I gathered what I needed from it.

But the general idea that metaphors can be used as a way to shape how people perceive things, by the use of words we choose or metaphors we select to paint certain things under a particular shade of some sort. I can't claim this sort of tact myself as my use of metaphor tends to be more for the use of proximity of relativity to the intended concept, rather than for the purpose of shaping how someone perceives the information I am giving, but I do still find this concept highly interesting.

What do you guys think of this notion? Whether you control the metaphors you use or not, do you think they indeed shape others' perceptions of the information you are handing to them?

Metaphors shape our thoughts in ways we don't even realize — Quartz

Well shit.

Half of what comes out of my mouth is metaphorical. I’m a master manipulator Dreamer! I always decorate language because it’s more fun that way. I usually try making my motions as smooth and fluid as possible simply for amusement as well. All the while I’m inadvertently warping public perception. Damn I’m evil!

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well shit.

Half of what comes out of my mouth is metaphorical. I’m a master manipulator Dreamer! I always decorate language because it’s more fun that way. I usually try making my motions as smooth and fluid as possible simply for amusement as well. All the while I’m inadvertently warping public perception. Damn I’m evil!

No, SERIOUSLY Pops, I was thinking this as well (that you’re a manipulator AF...:newwink:) Love how I twisted that plot line? Haha. No but really, that’s much of why this article appealed to me, because I was accused of being a manipulator on a couple occasions in my life, each time causing me much confusion. But, I think a large part might have to do with metaphor use, and perhaps, just a guess here, that the translation of my message isn’t always as clear as I think it may be. Meaning, the intent behind my words, behind the metaphors, isn’t always as clear as I assume it to be. And looking at it that way, I truly can see what some people may say as being “manipulative”. In that sense then, I’d be hard pressed to say no one is a manipulator at least on some level, if the definition of manipulation here at least, is having poor translation between the intent of your words, and the perception of those words spoken, as understood by someone else.

No, SERIOUSLY Pops, I was thinking this as well (that you’re a manipulator AF...:newwink:) Love how I twisted that plot line? Haha. No but really, that’s much of why this article appealed to me, because I was accused of being a manipulator on a couple occasions in my life, each time causing me much confusion. But, I think a large part might have to do with metaphor use, and perhaps, just a guess here, that the translation of my message isn’t always as clear as I think it may be. Meaning, the intent behind my words, behind the metaphors, isn’t always as clear as I assume it to be. And looking at it that way, I truly can see what some people may say as being “manipulative”. In that sense then, I’d be hard pressed to say no one is a manipulator at least on some level, if the definition of manipulation here at least, is having poor translation between the intent of your words, and the perception of those words spoken, as understood by someone else.

Yes I may be unwittingly manipulative with my metaphors which I’ve heard INFPs can have a fondness for. Aha!
Of course everyone is manipulative to some extent. If you’re trying to persuade someone to do anything you are in a way manipulating them.

As for the way I speak in general I wonder if sometimes what I think is clearly being stated is in fact layered in personal verbal stylings that make it very much unclear instead. Hmmm.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was an interesting read, thank you for posting it.

I think it makes a lot of sense. I've had a few people accuse me of being manipulative and I remember feeling really taken aback. I think what I think and you can think whatever you want. Doesn't mean I am going to sugar coat my interpretation and hand it to you wrapped in the seaweed of the heavens and sprinkled with the tears of starfish. (Or am I? dun dun DUN)

I have an INFJ bff with whom I will run over things I am going to say if I need to confront an issue and so often she's like, what is your motive here? And I think, I just wanna get these words out SPLAT on the wall. And she's like, oh, I thought you were going for X because of how you phrase Y. And I think, no really I am just saying a lot of words and they possibly mean things but it's more about just getting those words out there and then sitting back and seeing what happens and most likely being surprised at the results.

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That was a really interesting article. I often use metaphors for debating but never in this way. When I use metaphors, I either tell a story or create a situation. I knew words could influence, but never on this scale.

I think this can be a useful tool to convince someone or for advertising, but it also shows how fallacious language can be. If one single word can affect the thinking and opinion of a person, what will happen if you accidentally use the wrong one? This also shows that what we think a person thinks isn’t necessary what he/she really thinks.

Max Frisch, a famous swiss author, was very skeptical about communication and language. He thought that even if you know your interlocutor since your childhood, you couldn’t exactly know what they meant. Particularly in complex philosophical topics. The information that we receive are influenced by our believes, our experiences, the environment, the verbal communication and of course the words.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Literally, the opposite of metaphorically.

Metaphors are a spectacular way to communicate many things without saying a lot. They paint pictures- which are allegedly worth 1000 words a piece. I consider them as a kind of programming tool for expression: type the shortcut for a "picture," let it load in the persons mind, from which point they can download the 1000 words that make it up: from just a few select words you can generate many many more.

Literalists- like Ni Te types- who do all the work of manually entering those 1000 words (or as many as they are able before exhausting their audience) annoy me a bit in large data transfers.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always found that the use of metaphors tends to endear a person to others... I used all kinds of metaphors while speaking when I worked in sales because it made me appear like less of a threat... someone who you could trust because they're an ordinary folk as opposed to an outsider, plus, funny metaphors made people laugh, which also puts you in their favor

even now, as someone who hasn't sold a thing for years, I'm still in the habit of using metaphors when speaking, and they still seem to have an endearing effect on people still... at least I'm assuming so since people tell me that they enjoy my descriptions and the way that I speak

it hadn't occurred to me that they were manipulative in another manner as well, though I'm not surprised... a lot of things color how we view things

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"To me metaphors, analogy's and parables are powerful teaching tolls. They are akin to the great wisdom sayings in the sense they fire the imagination. However they are only a stepping stone to find the inner truth's of the statement or metaphor. They are not to be taken literally. They are inspired reflections of men and women who seek to cast a light unto the earth and their fellow human beings. To me the great quotes and magical metaphors are a key to our own inner wisdom. They are the spark so to speak.

Words are so hard to come by that adequately express a profound truth. This is where metaphors, analogies and parables come into play. When a person who is inspired to put into words either a great quote to capture the essence of an idea or inspired to put into words a metaphor, they are teaching tools meant to inspire future generations to carry the torch to the next plateau of wisdom. When one gets in a state of flow and is connected, it is like magic, to this divine spark of universal consciousness. Then the words flow like a magical and mystical stream from the unconscious depths of our soul on to the surface, to capture a profound truth that can help inspire future generations."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Literally just found this article on my browser and I will admit I didn't read it all, I didn't need to, I gathered what I needed from it.

But the general idea that metaphors can be used as a way to shape how people perceive things, by the use of words we choose or metaphors we select to paint certain things under a particular shade of some sort. I can't claim this sort of tact myself as my use of metaphor tends to be more for the use of proximity of relativity to the intended concept, rather than for the purpose of shaping how someone perceives the information I am giving, but I do still find this concept highly interesting.

What do you guys think of this notion? Whether you control the metaphors you use or not, do you think they indeed shape others' perceptions of the information you are handing to them?
Yet another reason to make sure everyone is well-versed in critical thinking skills, so they can cut through all the spin to the facts of the matter. As with many things, one needs the right tool for the job. Metaphors, and more broadly symbols, are fantastic shorthand for baskets of related ideas. They are key, for instance, in creating sacred space in many religious traditions. As with artwork, however, they do best in the subjective and even aesthetic realm. They are imprecise tools for addressing objective concerns, as the article clearly demonstrates.