123 Last

Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default What is “Freedom” for you?

Freedom is one of those concepts I find myself returning to more often than others, one can associate with finding an inner happiness and satisfaction. It can be rather elusive for me because I feel I am able to define it, but in a hundred different ways. Freedom could mean, an inner peace, a freedom from pain. Freedom could relate to a financial freedom, not necessarily being wealthy, but having the sense that you are not tied down by debt, or at least, the emotional burden of debt. Freedom could mean finding your sense of independence, finding that first apartment away from home, or going off to university. Freedom could also mean having no obligation to others, or really, feeling like you aren’t obligated to others, and the times you assist and care for others, doesn’t feel like an obligation or burden.

It’s a bit odd then, that I feel like I can label it and visualize the essence of what the feeling of freedom truly means, as found in any of its forms, however, I also feel like it’s something I can never quite obtain, because there IS always another way to look at it, and how to grasp and further understand the the concept, by feeling that variety.

This post may come off “bloggish” or as if I’m seeking some advise, but it’s really more of the context of where this question comes from. I’m not interested in strict definitions of the term, but interested in what it personally means to you, and if it’s something you also find yourself constantly seeking, how would you describe the experience?
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes The Cat, Snow as White, lightsun, Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

For me at this point in my life, freedom means making my own decisions and taking sole responsibility for my life instead of relying on others to dictate what my choices should be.
    Likes Dreamer, anticlimatic, The Cat liked this post

Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix31 View Post
    For me at this point in my life, freedom means making my own decisions and taking sole responsibility for my life instead of relying on others to dictate what my choices should be.

Ah yes, I actually think what you’ve said here may be a large aspect for me as well, and I don’t presume many people would typically associate “freedom” with personal responsibility, but I very much do relate and see the connection. It’s kind of like, if you’ve wronged someone, or you messed up in a way that could’ve negatively impacted you down the road, taking responsibility for that, owning up to it, in a way, resolves you of the sort of regret that could build over time, thereby holding you in its clutch, whether we wish to accept that or not, and that truly is very much a sense of freedom, but limiting the things that may hold onto us as we age and mature.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

Living autonomously, without any sort of authoritarian entity which exists to infringe upon my desire to chart the course of my life based on my own goals and values.

I don't think if you live in a governed nation that you're every truly free -- Absolute freedom is anarchy. Yet, in developed nations, we sacrifice a degree of freedom for order and security.

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Having agency.
    Likes anticlimatic liked this post

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

It's not something I think about much, which probably means I have too much freedom

I think it's not possible to talk about freedom without talking about restraints. Without restraints, I don't actually view that as freedom because then there is no direction, no aim, no goal. In order to have freedom, you need to have a structure to adhere to and the option of choice. Sorry I can't help but breaking down what freedom is, even though the OP is asking how we identify freedom and the lack of it in our lives.

It's difficult for me to come up with personal examples to draw from... I have little structure that is imposed on me as opposed to from me and I suppose this gives a certain kind of freedom, but I think if I had a bit more direction for my life it would help me with my approach to life in general.

I think the most restricting kind of freedom and the restriction to be avoided, is the restriction of emotions. People gunna feel how they gunna feel. Still, a lot of the time people think certain emotions are "bad" to have/experience, which is not healthy at all.
    There is a very thin line that separates genius from madness and it is a red line that is razor sharp.
    Be careful what you expose yourself to because it could very well ruin you.

Permabanned

We have discovered that power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So we limit power through liberal democracy and human rights to maximise freedom.
    Likes Avocado liked this post

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    It's not something I think about much, which probably means I have too much freedom I think it's not possible to talk about freedom without talking about restraints. Without restraints, I don't actually view that as freedom because then there is no direction, no aim, no goal. In order to have freedom, you need to have a structure to adhere to and the option of choice. Sorry I can't help but breaking down what freedom is, even though the OP is asking how we identify freedom and the lack of it in our lives. It's difficult for me to come up with person examples to draw from... I have little structure that is imposed on me as opposed to from me and I suppose this gives a certain kind of freedom, but I think have a bit more direction for my life it would help me with my approach to life in general. I think the most restricting kind of freedom and the restriction to be avoided, is the restriction of emotions. People gunna feel how they gunna feel. Still, a lot of the time people think certain emotions are "bad" to have/experience, which is not healthy at all.
    The mark of emotional intelligence is emotional restraint.

Honestly, I cringe when I hear that word and have for years as it's long been a dog whistle and scape-goat for conservatives.

Freedom is in fact dependent on restrictions. The more "freedoms" socieity has, the less free we are as individuals.

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The mark of emotional intelligence is emotional restraint.
    No, it's restraint in how you control your behaviors, not how you restrain the emotion itself.
    There is a very thin line that separates genius from madness and it is a red line that is razor sharp.
    Be careful what you expose yourself to because it could very well ruin you.