User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Default Do you have an internal or an external locus of control?

"Do you have an internal or external locus of control? Which would you prefer? What are the pro's and con's with each orientation?

'The difference between an external locus of control and a person with an internal locus of control'

"There are people with an internal locus of control not driven by the opinions of other people. An internal locus, one takes a stoic self responsibility no matter what life throws at them. There is also an external locus of control where unfortunately those person's put to much emphasis on the opinions, likes and dislikes of others.

The externally influenced individual is too much at the mercy of what happens to them in life and are more prone to blame others and life for their own feelings. In psychology circles we are trained to take ownership of personal feelings such as to state: 'I think,' or 'I feel' statements. Now two external things which bother me are trophy hunting and Mr. Donald Trump. Both are anti-ethical to what I believe. I do not believe in judgment or name calling especially swear words.

“We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.” Carl Jung

We must seek to understand. If there is any immorality in things then we take proactive action and strive to make things better. To judge alone accomplishes nothing rather it shows your own lack of understanding. Moreover, it shows a lack of emotional maturity and spiritual growth.

(1) One you accomplish nothing.

(2) You are preaching to the choir of your constituency.

Rather state the facts and let them speak for themselves. This is to take the road of Reason and inner morality. To take the lesser road reminds me of the sheer ignorance I witnessed from the Obama haters. If you use an attacking language that is an emotionally subjective generalization than you succumb to the 'haters' whether Obama or Trump.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.” Benjamin Franklin

"Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated." Coretta Scott King

Now I will take ownership and reveal my personal feelings about Mr. Trump. I do not like the man and personally abhor him. Nonetheless i will not succumb to calling him names. That would be a reflection of me and my lack of emotional maturity and spiritual growth.

I ask myself, "What can I reasonably do?"

(1) Point out objective facts without projections of emotionally subjective language. Let the truth speak for itself.

(2) When the time comes vote the man out of office and other than pointing out objective fact ignore the man to the best of my ability as I see him as a negative force.
    Life is a test, always seek the high path of Reason and Agape compassion rather than succumb to base emotion laden judgments.
    Last edited by lightsun; 04-02-2018 at 05:06 AM.

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Inner referendum.

Those with an external compass tend to be prone to suffocating validation seeking, at the mercy of every outter change, hence why they are more likely to follow new trends because others are doing the same.

On the other hand, those of us with an internal compass tend to be detached from details of reality we deem as obstructing, value our freedom to the point we can purge anything looming in the shadows to take it away, and we're very obstinate.
    Likes lightsun liked this post

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

Wow, I wish I could say I had a 100% internal locus of control. I do not though because I have many weaknesses.
    There is a very thin line that separates genius from madness and it is a red line that is razor sharp.
    Be careful what you expose yourself to because it could very well ruin you.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I have a strong amount of both. Honestly, I cannot say I know which one dominates because of how powerful both the internal and the external have been in their own specific moments, and on a close enough timescale where I cannot say that it was just a matter of phases. In a situation, basically I will decide on where the greater influence rests and then really drive that home whichever it is. My orientation is just deciding hard, and that is fluid with the situation. If anything, I'm just a control freak.

Very external

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrophagus View Post
    Inner referendum.

Those with an external compass tend to be prone to suffocating validation seeking, at the mercy of every outter change, hence why they are more likely to follow new trends because others are doing the same.

On the other hand, those of us with an internal compass tend to be detached from details of reality we deem as obstructing, value our freedom to the point we can purge anything looming in the shadows to take it away, and we're very obstinate.
    Sacrophagus wrote, (all quotes are Sacrophagus followed by my reply). (1) "....external compass tend to be prone ...suffocating validation seeking, at the mercy of every outer change...."

A person can have a healthy external locus of control if they have self esteem. If they are stoic in nature they can prevail over difficulties.

(2) "...they are more likely to follow new trends because others are doing the same."

This is a generalyzed statement but yes I would think they would be more prone to do what the popular person is doing.

(3) "...internal compass tend...be detached from details of reality we deem as obstructing, value our freedom to the point we can purge anything looming in the shadows to take it away, and we're very obstinate."

I would not use the word detatched so much as guided by an inner compass point whether it is popular or not. We are on a journey of self and in discovering and making our own happiness.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

It's more impressive to say that you've got an internal locus of control, so I'll roll with that.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Well since one is framed in this OP as more beneficial than the other (read: 'better') then it must be internal locus of control.

Although I would say neither exists in separation from the other. Otherwise, what is the internal locus responding to exactly?

I think this would be better seen as a spectrum, in which individuals can become (in the extreme forms) isolated from what arises uninfluenced due to too many internal illusions & on the other hand, completely dependant on what arises as others dictate it.

I'm too sad for pants. Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post

Although I would say neither exists in separation from the other. Otherwise, what is the internal locus responding to exactly?

I think this would be better seen as a spectrum, in which individuals can become (in the extreme forms) isolated from what arises uninfluenced due to too many internal illusions & completely dependant on what arises as others dictate it.
    I think this is precisely correct. I think it's a noble endeavor to cultivate as much of an internal locus of control as possible, but even individuals whom practically make this endeavor their full time job (e.g. Buddhist monks) continue to find things - after a lifetime of cultivating this skill - in the external environment which they get stuck on.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

INFJ 5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari -or- disagree with my type?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP

The amount of respect I have for someone is inversely proportionate to how external their locus of control is.

Mine is at least 90% internal.