First 1234 Last

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I’m not entirely sure I even know what my armor is tbh, I feel I use a sleuth of defenses, but I must have an armor of some kind since other people’s words or actions tend not to have great affect over me, unless words come from select people I’ve allowed in my walls, I can be very easy to penetrate at that point. But ya, getting there, isn’t so easy...
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx

IDK what my armor is...

Probably has something to do with being "right" I would imagine. Pointing out things to people that they wouldn't otherwise know and just generally being "knowledgeable" even if I don't actually know much about anything.

The hard part about this is in coming to grips with your shortcomings and actually being honest with yourself... It's hard to observe the self - what are the primordial motivations for doing what I do? Very hard question to answer. And the thing is, if you don't know what motivates yourself, you sure as hell are not going to know what motivates others.

Good topic.
    There is a very thin line that separates genius from madness and it is a red line that is razor sharp.
    Be careful what you expose yourself to because it could very well ruin you.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Being able to detach/compartmentalize, I guess.
    Making fun of myself, sometimes? Humor in general can be armor/a coping mechanism, but depending on the manner in which it’s utilized, I don’t think it’s necessarily an unhealthy one. Sometimes, all you can do is laugh.

If I’m worried about something imminent/serious (not social nonsense, but a health issue, or something happening to a loved one - anything significant along those lines), I occasionally info-hoard to soothe myself and feel like I’m actually able to do something about it. Or that I may be able to do something at some point, at least. Or it offers me reassurance that I am doing or have done all I can. Takes some of the edge off that blind fear and sense of helplessness, perhaps.

Sunglasses are also pretty nice armor.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

Also formality does wonders to keep people at a distance in a socially acceptable way.
    This is my go-to.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    954 so/sp

Sarcasm and detachment. Often times people think of me as this cold, apathetic robot, yet don't realize that even though I may not show my cards, I feel things quite deeply. Throw in a little self-deprecating humor as well, as my self-esteem issues often cause me to greatly doubt my own abilities and capacity.

I don't handle accepting compliments very well, as I typically dismiss them as people either telling me what they think I want as opposed to expressing a genuine sentiment -- There is a big difference.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I use "charmour" to navigate difficult people. If I am threatened/intimidated by someone I win them over, make them laugh, disarm them.

If they are more of a long-term threat (someone I am "stuck" with who makes my life difficult), I go a bit further with disarming them. I befriend them, play to their ego, get to know them intimately, and prove myself to be a very caring and thoughtful confidante. All the while I am working behind the scenes to have them removed, while being careful not to leave any "fingerprints" (no one should think any of it was my idea).
    A.) Sometimes you get rid of people by working the group around them (Ill often naively share damaging info about my target that I know will upset the person I'm sharing with in particular and then I intentionally offer a feeble defense of my targets crimes, feigning that: aw shucks, I always look for the good in people but I guess sometimes I wear these gosh darned rose coloured glasses! I guess Target X really is a jerk, and needs to go. You've convinced me!).

B.) Sometimes you get rid of people by convincing them they aren't happy here by pouncing on any sign of discontent and regularly getting them to dwell on it, by asking after their troubles sympathetically (Long distance relationships are really hard, it might makr more sense to move out there. I mean it all just depends on whether you prioritize money or your relationship higher. Whichever you choose, I'll understand. sad as it would be to lose ya, I just want you to be happy).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Also formality does wonders to keep people at a distance in a socially acceptable way.
    This. Just talking to people can be a little tiring so strict formality and adherence to office protocol are usually enough to fend off my co-workers when they want to chit-chat about something stupid. Work itself is often a pretty good excuse. When a group of people invite me to lunch with them, I can use my workload to get out of it. It can be used as a copout but at the same time it is true.
    Repeat after me: "Wocka, wocka, wocka". See? That wasn't so hard, now was it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by k9a4b View Post
    I just get angry and people get scared
    Cool, jail's a great career goal.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I never feel safe or calm.

So, there is no armour. I don't throw stones in a glass house; only got the frame.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Metis liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Transparency, paradoxically.

Also, fuck me, but I think this is one part of where my interest in dress and appearance came from. I felt much more vulnerable as a kid while my parents still picked my clothes.

In awkward situations, friendly politeness goes a long way, and displayed willingness to do something specific to improve the situation. It usually won't be necessary.

Lack of humor. Kids' bullying is often a shitty attempt at a laugh. Granted, taking onself seriously can invite more teasing to begin with, but if the attitude then can't be broken down, it gets boring and they move on. This defense has come up in a very interesting and impactful way recently, when I took a class in comedic acting with the intention to target and break the defense down but ended up learning that just owning it as funny can actually be more effective at this point, even a legitimate style for me in performance that I could be good at.

Lack of comprehension, when it comes to unwanted attention from strangers in public. They get nowhere if I can't hear them or have no idea what they're getting on about. Too dumb to fuck with.

ISFP
    4w5 1w2 7w6 sx/so
    Likes Lady Lazarus liked this post