User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Psychopaths

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Caffreynated View Post
    Honestly there are some traits in this list that I can relate to (like I'm a confident person and I've gotta admit I've got a reasonably high opinion of myself or I can be impulsive) but I never thought about killing anyone yet so I don't think I'm a psychopath lol
    So every psychopath is a murderer? Many of them carry on average lives...except the parasitic lifestyle in which they do things like manipulating pseudo-wives and daughters into forking over their money to pay their expenses since their extreme narcissism and other psychopathic traits make them unable to hold a job consistently or find any stability.

A lot of people do that: "I relate to a lot of things on this list." Often, that's used to discredit and discount that there are any valid diagnoses at all. It always turns out that they don't actually grasp the extremes that the list is talking about.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Blue View Post
    I think you are missing out some key elements here. Psychopathy has been glammed up repeatedly and is sometimes something teen boys aspire to without realising what it actually is.

Primary it is a learning disability and the majority of psychopaths are below average intelligence. This leaves a huge gulf between the expectation of what psychopaths are capable of and what they are actually capable of. The t.v hyped psychopath is really very few and far between. Much like the autistic savant.

Edit: That was just a general comment after looking at the traits of a psychopath. On a more personal level it sounds, from the info given, that she is highly unstable and manipulative. Sociopaths are much better at this than psychopaths though I understand there is some definition changes to these labels so it's hard to separate them. But also yeah, you had a lucky escape, maybe write the friend a letter/email if you are really concerned about them?
    I know this is over a year old- came to notice because it was quoted-but I have experience with this. Not only was he not very intelligence but while was in his early twenties, he very much had the sort of personality that reminded of those 15 yr old boys who like to glorify evil, but the kind of petty evil who could never aspire to be more than a minion of a real mastermind.

I once knew a socio/psychopath who was really not very intelligent at all. Figured himself some skrt of ‘mastermind’ but my God he was not. I was on to everything he did; when he lied to me, when he stole from me, when he thought he was being SO clever by contacted me pretending to someone else. When he texted my friends pretending to be he- while I was WITH her, when he secretly recorded me while I was alone. When the idiot had the balls-yet no brains- and say shit like “ People assume I’m a good person! But I’m really a total asshole!” And then, actually laugh maniacally. When a very rare copy of a game I owned went missing and he started bragging about the coly he just happened to find ect
    But not just those...crimes. His emotional manipulation really needed work. It was quite pitiful. Every time I got angry at him or called him on his bullshit he’d cry about how mean I was, how much I hurt him, show up sad in a corner with Cinnabon for everyone but refuse to join us because he was just ‘ too hurt’ and ‘ didn’t want to upset me’.

To be honest, I found him only as culpable for his actions as those who fell for it. It was transparent as window glass yet it seemed I was the only one who saw through it.
    “ Rise up and raise the iron roof off
    Now, Rise up and riot 'til the bomb drops
    Now, Rise up the time is right to sound off, so
    Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me (RISE UP!)”
    Likes EllevenSevenSounds liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NT

In general I find psychopaths to be incredibly stupid. Narcissists on the other hand can be quite bright.

For the most part though, psychopaths tends to be incredibly dumb.

I think many white collar psychopaths are actually sociopaths, so I exclude the CEO's of the world that fall into this category.

Cops on the other hand are incredibly low on the IQ spectrum, not being able to find any other line of work and all, and tend to be high on the psychopath spectrum.

phallus impudicus

Psychopathy or not, I think it's safe to conclude that she was afflicted with, in the very least, severe personality and mental health disturbances and was thus incapable of committing to a stable, loving relationship.

The one positive out of this is that once you know what this type of thing looks like, you can smell it a mile away. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you got out.
    Likes anticlimatic, Enigma liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Psychopaths don't have REAL emotions while sociopaths have childish emotions.
    Psychopaths usually are extremely smart people, they look like any other person in the room.
    Sociopaths on another hand usually are victim of their state of mind and cannot get on the top.

And YES you cannot be psychopath if you can feel remorse when you did something wrong.
    And YES you cannot become psychopath suddenly over night. You are born with lack of emotions.
    And YES many psychopaths are normal people around you and not all of them are criminals.
    Life Path 4. True Neutral 8 1 6 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

Blessed With A Curse Schrödinger's Name's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllevenSevenSounds View Post
    In general I find psychopaths to be incredibly stupid. Narcissists on the other hand can be quite bright.

For the most part though, psychopaths tends to be incredibly dumb.

I think many white collar psychopaths are actually sociopaths, so I exclude the CEO's of the world that fall into this category.

Cops on the other hand are incredibly low on the IQ spectrum, not being able to find any other line of work and all, and tend to be high on the psychopath spectrum.
    There's no correlation between being a psychopath and having a low IQ. (Or I might be misinterpreting 'stupid') And how are narcissists 'bright'? They are constantly influenced by their emotions. Define bright?

Sociopaths don't exist. That term doesn't have a firm definition. People don't get diagnosed with 'psychopathy' or 'sociopathy'.

Difference Between the Psychopath and So-Called Sociopath | Psychology Today

And, psychopaths do have emotions. They are just shallow and short lived. And anger is definitely an emotion too, some of them feel that a lot.
    Until You Decide What Happens, Everything Is Happening At Once

Likes Enigma liked this post

Psychopaths are highly skilled at imitating anger and other emotions even though they lack an internal experience of it...so, practically-speaking, a psychopath can change their performance from anger to charm in the blink of any eye depending on the goal. however, the core entity itself remains empty and calculative. This results from a deficit in empathy and conscience. This deficit is idiopathic. The sociopath behaves in similar ways as a psychopath but isn't really a psychopath. Rather, their behavior is the result of a disturbance in empathy and conscience. This disturbance is environmental. In the old days, they used to call the sociopath a pseudo-psychopath.

The Psychopath: Theory, Research, and Practice - Google Books
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    here for succint enneagram type descriptions
    here for 100+ FICTIONAL EXEMPLARS, here for STACKEMUP vs. R&H; here for the SUPREME ENNEAGRAM PRIMER.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NT

Quote Originally Posted by ThisName View Post
    There's no correlation between being a psychopath and having a low IQ. (Or I might be misinterpreting 'stupid') And how are narcissists 'bright'? They are constantly influenced by their emotions. Define bright?

Sociopaths don't exist. That term doesn't have a firm definition. People don't get diagnosed with 'psychopathy' or 'sociopathy'.

Difference Between the Psychopath and So-Called Sociopath | Psychology Today

And, psychopaths do have emotions. They are just shallow and short lived. And anger is definitely an emotion too, some of them feel that a lot.
    Sure there is. And sociopaths are people who display psychopathic tendencies but as a result of conditioning/environment, not a deformed brain.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NT

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb1 View Post
    Psychopaths are highly skilled at imitating anger and other emotions even though they lack an internal experience of it...so, practically-speaking, a psychopath can change their performance from anger to charm in the blink of any eye depending on the goal. however, the core entity itself remains empty and calculative. This results from a deficit in empathy and conscience. This deficit is idiopathic. The sociopath behaves in similar ways as a psychopath but isn't really a psychopath. Rather, their behavior is the result of a disturbance in empathy and conscience. This disturbance is environmental. In the old days, they used to call the sociopath a pseudo-psychopath.

The Psychopath: Theory, Research, and Practice - Google Books
    Egg-zactly.

The thing is though, each successive generation tends to show less empathy and psychopathic tendencies as a result of lower levels of socialization - meaning that that description alone may now actually apply to the majority of people.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisName View Post
    This ^
    I mean, when you pull up statistics and studies and the best anyone gives is "yuh-huh," or "because my experience" it's sort of hard to take anything else seriously. What, do you study them for a living? Has your experience conducted any real research? The experiences of the guys who have done so is more dependable, I'd say.