• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you an empath? Sociopath/Psychopath? Or ‘Normal Person’?

What do you define yourself as

• Total voters
You would be correct.

0e95c1b06db1a2d80fd825e30366c507.jpg

Or simpler terms-
Sympathy: I'm so sorry you're in pain.
Empathy: I feel your pain.
I qualify for the job then. Sort of. But I don’t feel their suffering. I just understand on a logical level how they are feeling how they arrived at that feeling and how well they’re probably coping with it. Yet it doesn’t necessarily instill actual caring in me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm between a normal person and an empath not fully either one

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I thought this was going to be one of those dumb quizzes.

I am disappoint. :mad:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I qualify for the job then. Sort of. But I don’t feel their suffering. I just understand on a logical level how they are feeling how they arrived at that feeling and how well they’re probably coping with it. Yet it doesn’t necessarily instill actual caring in me.
My perspective is similar. I don't feel their suffering, but what I focus on, on a logical level, is their actual situation and why it is a problem and not so much what they are feeling. I also allow for the fact that what might look like a problem (e.g. person lost their job), might actually be viewed by the person as a blessing (forced them to move on from a horrible work situation that they were too afraid to leave before.) So, my reasoning looks something like this: Person is having experience X; X usually is a problem because of A, B, and C; it might not be so bad in this case, though, because of mitigating factors P and Q.

My perspective is similar. I don't feel their suffering, but what I focus on, on a logical level, is their actual situation and why it is a problem and not so much what they are feeling. I also allow for the fact that what might look like a problem (e.g. person lost their job), might actually be viewed by the person as a blessing (forced them to move on from a horrible work situation that they were too afraid to leave before.) So, my reasoning looks something like this: Person is having experience X; X usually is a problem because of A, B, and C; it might not be so bad in this case, though, because of mitigating factors P and Q.

Yes it’s a very clinical process. Unless I do care about them personally. Then things can get mucked up with feelings.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes it’s a very clinical process. Unless I do care about them personally. Then things can get mucked up with feelings.
See, I will do this even if I care about them personally, perhaps especially so. If I care about them, I have a personal stake in the situation because I want to help them, and I can be more effective by taking a more detached approach .

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You would be correct.

Or simpler terms-
Thought I'd add the formal definitions from Merriam Webster for reference as well. There is more overlap than the current vernacular definitions online have been suggesting. The internet has been changing the definition of a lot of terms, and it is an interesting phenomenon.

Empathy: 1 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this
2 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

Sympathy: a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other
b : mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it
c : unity or harmony in action or effect
every part is in complete sympathy with the scheme as a whole —Edwin Benson
2 a : inclination to think or feel alike : emotional or intellectual accord in sympathy with their goals
b : feeling of loyalty : tendency to favor or support republican sympathies
3 a : the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another
b : the feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity have sympathy for the poor
4 : the correlation existing between bodies capable of communicating their vibrational energy to one another through some medium

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thought I'd add the formal definitions from Merriam Webster for reference as well. There is more overlap than the current vernacular definitions online have been suggesting. The internet has been changing the definition of a lot of terms, and it is an interesting phenomenon.

Empathy: 1 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this
2 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

Sympathy: a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other
b : mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it
c : unity or harmony in action or effect
every part is in complete sympathy with the scheme as a whole —Edwin Benson
2 a : inclination to think or feel alike : emotional or intellectual accord in sympathy with their goals
b : feeling of loyalty : tendency to favor or support republican sympathies
3 a : the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another
b : the feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity have sympathy for the poor
4 : the correlation existing between bodies capable of communicating their vibrational energy to one another through some medium

Yeah, this is much more helpful. Mine was really broad, and could be taken in the wrong sort of absolutes, in hindsight.
(And I was lazy/thought an either/or chart may be better digested, with the overlap going unsaid. Some things should not go unsaid.)

Wonder if a Venn diagram for empathy/sympathy/compassion exists.. :thinking:

Lark

You would be correct.

Or simpler terms-

I am a little unsure about some of these dichotomies though, like the last time I read a book which seemed to support them, one which was campaigning for compassion and against empathy, it seemed to be trying hard to rehabilitate the version of sympathy in Adam Smith's book on the topic as contrary modern understandings of empathy.

There is a ton of publishing from Smith's time which in interesting ways prefigures modern writing on it, his contention that imagination and the ability to imagine oneself in the position of others more or less fortunate than yourself and then later to consider all matters as an impartial, invisible other (which Rawls' later writing would describe as the veil of ignorance or hypothetical first position of anyone) all sound more like empathy to me than sympathy but I'm not sure that Smith would have had the same vocabulary.

It was all literary back then too, or moral philosophy, and the vocabulary was different reason, feeling, passions etc. and speculations about human nature at the heart of it all, only very slowly shedding the Negan like thinking of Hobbes. Hume's books asking if man was passionate or rational for instance, its philosophy not psychology but its not far removed from some pop psychology in what its searching out and better than most of it, there's literary works like "The Man of Feeling", considering people who tried to apply the thinking which I sort of approached reading with a "What the f**k is this now?" (as I do a lot of books, more than people realise).

Rousseau and, to a lesser extent Voltaire, were supposed to be the continential alternative to the anglo-saxon outlook, at least Rousseau really was, I read a US author, woman who wrote With Charity To None, a fond look at misanthropy, compare Rousseau to a sort of pre-hippy era "flower child" and I dont think she was wrong, although, again, the vocabulary was so different and you would need to do a bit of a work translation with historical context in mind to know it.

Then you realise that Freud, Jung et al were trying to do the same sort of thinking and using different terminology, some of it was defined better than others, some of it wasnt (did you know that prior to Freud's tripartite version of the unconscious Erasmus had one when he was writing about ideas like the Christian Knight? Language is different, obviously its not the same thing exactly, but there's something perennial they were aiming at) but a lot of this modern definition and dichotomy happens and they arent even aware of the precursory work.

See, I will do this even if I care about them personally, perhaps especially so. If I care about them, I have a personal stake in the situation because I want to help them, and I can be more effective by taking a more detached approach .

I wouldn’t expect anything less from you. I’m sure that’s reassuring to those that rely on you. I still rise to the task it just pains me that they’re suffering, so the mucked up part occurs internally. It doesn’t spill out into the situation.

Lark

Yeah, this is much more helpful. Mine was really broad, and could be taken in the wrong sort of absolutes, in hindsight.
(And I was lazy/thought an either/or chart may be better digested, with the overlap going unsaid. Some things should not go unsaid.)

Wonder if a Venn diagram for empathy/sympathy/compassion exists.. :thinking:

I think that there's a job of definition alright but I tend to think of sympathy as cognitive empathy, imagined and conceived feelings or experience of others, while empathy is affective empathy, it can be felt as well as imagined or conceived, equally doing bad things to others and knowing the same things are bad will cause an automatic bad feeling or attack of conscience, which will require rationalisations to quell and manage, the rationalisation could be denied, dismissed or repressed, ie unconscious, but it happens none the less unless there is no or low affective empathy for a variety of reasons, attachment style and contingent theory of mind, personality traitology etc.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I experienced a lot of pain trough my life so for me it is easy to get on someone's else shoes. Also I have high EQ. :)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I thought this was going to be one of those dumb quizzes.

I am disappoint. :mad:

I can find one for you my love-

And now one is added to the OP

á´…eparted

passages

This is similar to me, but I put on a lot of effort to show warmth. Some folks need that. It's actually easier for me in a crisis situation.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can empathize, but to give myself the title of "Empath" mmm, seems like a title only few can actually claim accurately.

This is exactly what went through my mind as well. For some reason. I don't believe it's entirely unreasonable for a person to be able to authentically come to this conclusion about themselves on their own (in fact, when done with integrity I dare say it's healthy)- but it seems like an awful lot of the people who confidently believe/claim themselves to be empathic are merely delusionally purporting it, and those folks are really annoying, so I'd find myself reluctant to make this claim. Even though it is an inherent priority for me and I do my best.

It's like nicknames. It just seems pompous to try coin a nickname for oneself.

Metis

I actively resist empathy, for the most part, because it's less likely to be productive, and more likely to result in the other person using me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i change my vote to just normal person because i'm more compassionate than empathic tbh

Mole

Permabanned
You would be correct.
Or simpler terms- Sympathy: I'm so sorry you're in pain. Empathy: I feel your pain.
When we have completed empathy training. We know it is the other way round.