First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I can completely shut off my feelings with some things, but it is not a default mode. I am empathetic but its a very logical process, so I hesitate to label myself.
    Likes Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have some empathy, but I don't claim it is consistent. Most people feel really complex and at times alien to me, so I don't think I quickly know what people feel, how they see the world, or how they think. When I invest a lot of time in someone, they can resonate with me in a way related to empathy. I also have huge respect for personal boundaries, so I wouldn't want to invade or assume into others, but I think that is consistent with a lot of people's desire. I care about empathy and understanding people, but it gives me a sick feeling to "be an empath" because I think the claim is irrelevant - only someone else can say if you've been empathetic or not, and I'm not always. I'm not a sociopath at all, but I can disconnect pretty quickly when rejected.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL

I'd like to be more of an empath than I am.
    Likes Stell, Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

I have quite a bit of empathy, but not anymore than a lot of other people do. One of the many doctors my parents took me to as a child said I lacked empathy, but I was in a very dark place then and literally no one else has ever said that about me (to my knowledge). Then again, I've seen so many doctors that I literally have conflicting diagnoses in my medical record.

It is common practice to confuse sympathy and empathy.

Both are very old words from the Ancient Greek. Sympathy means to feel with, and empathy means to understand another's feelings.

So sympathy means to feel the same as, while empathy means to understand another's feelings without feeling them oneself.

Sympathy is natural, we all feel sympathy, we all have mirror neurons, and find it natural to mirror the feelings of another.

On the other hand empathy is unnatural, and with practice empathy can be taught and learnt.

And empathy is uniquely helpful, in situations such as a hospital, where we need to help a patient, and we can't do this if we feel the same as the patient.

Sympathy is seductive, there is no need to learn empathy, and we do like to think of ourselves as sympathetic people, don't we?

So empaths are simply the sympathetic dressed in New Age clothes. We are flattered by our sympathy.
    Likes Frosty, xenaprincess, LucieCat liked this post

MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is common practice to confuse sympathy and empathy.

Both are very old words from the Ancient Greek. Sympathy means to feel with, and empathy means to understand another's feelings.

So sympathy means to feel the same as, while empathy means to understand another's feelings without feeling them oneself.

Sympathy is natural, we all feel sympathy, we all have mirror neurons, and find it natural to mirror the feelings of another.

On the other hand empathy is unnatural, and with practice empathy can be taught and learnt.

And empathy is uniquely helpful, in situations such as a hospital, where we need to help a patient, and we can't do this if we feel the same as the patient.

Sympathy is seductive, there is no need to learn empathy, and we do like to think of ourselves as sympathetic people, don't we?

So empaths are simply the sympathetic dressed in New Age clothes. We are flattered by our sympathy.
    I thought it was exactly the opposite, in that mirror neurons have you feeling as the other person feels whereas sympathy is more situational and distant..?
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    yupp

i have too many mirror neurons if someone laughs i laugh even though i don't know why they're laughing same thing with crying and puking.

MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I'm normal, but via upbringing and coping and all I learned how to read decently, though not in a mirror neuron-y sort of way. Still habitually and through the gut, though I'm sure it didn't come out of the box when I was born or anything. It's just something that I wind up paying attention to.

A 'good friend' of mine is absolutely empathetic: really feeling what another feels, having their stuff rub off onto her at least a little bit. Freakishly accurate. Can be a disadvantage when someone else is anxious, or the overall vibe is anxious. We'd gotten into conflicts if I'm feeling negative, though, as if I need to control how I feel (rather than just feeling but dealing with it healthily.) But very useful when she can take it in and then 'snap out of it' or otherwise separate herself so that she can make decisions from an outside perspective. It helps make her a good caretaker, as nurse and as mom, because she gains experiential knowledge, a holistic understanding of an individual. A patient becomes less of a clipboard and checklist and more of an individual with their own needs.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Did 9/11 View Post
    I thought it was exactly the opposite, in that mirror neurons have you feeling as the other person feels whereas sympathy is more situational and distant..?
    You would be correct.

Or simpler terms-
    Sympathy: I'm so sorry you're in pain.
    Empathy: I feel your pain.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've the capacity to be deeply empathetic, so I clicked "empath" to acknowledge that part of myself. I also clicked "normal person," as simply calling myself an empath just sounds pretentious as hell, especially in our current social climate. Also, having a decent amount of empathy doesn't make one any less of a normal person, imo.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.