• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Darren Brown's "psychological" magic

Lark

What do you think of the UK hypnotist and "magician" Darren Brown and his shows featuring psychological suggestion and manipulation as magic?

I have watched some of his stage magic and I liked it, most of the time it involves a trick of perspective, such as reminding everyone they gave him a card with details of themselves on it and then he'll recall at random from about five hundred a single person and they will be amazed he was able to memorise them all, well, that's not magic, memorising a single card, misdirecting everyone to believe the opposite is a nice trick though.

However, he's convinced/hypnotised someone into performing a mocked up assassination of Stephen Fry, convinced another he had committed murder and caused him to experience the guilt and engage in a confession believing he would then be arrested for the crime, convinced to push someone in the belief he was pushing them off a building to his death, performed a trick in which he had someone phone a random restaurant employee and have them leave the restaurant with what they believed at the time was some random woman's baby in a pushchair, carried out pavlovian compliance experiments on air and challenged in his books, not just the existence of God (he's a prominent athiest) but also the existence of a/the self and a/the human nature.

I'm inclined to think its less and less entertainment and more and more a sort of cruelty for amusement that the guy engages in but he's paid handsomely for doing so.