User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why are people more interested in psychopaths and sociopaths than empaths?

Why do you think that people are more interested in psychopaths or sociopaths than empaths? Why does emoting, feeling and sensitivity get such a bad reputation while reason, thinking and cold indifference are highly thought of? Why is health and strength associated with the later and illness and weakness with the former?

Do you think that the internet culture favours high cognitive empathy and low affective empathy?
    Likes Frosty, Norexan, Galena liked this post

I'm too sad for pants. Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think I've noticed something like low affective/high cognitive psychopathy getting romanticized/idealized among the younger people who seem to believe such a thing can exist with strong, almost zen-like ethical parameters keeping the baser impulses (e.g. retaliating in anger over minor ego blows) in check. This belief *seems* to follow from a fictional trend of characters that make it seem like such a thing is possible. But as far as real life experience and everything I've read about low affective/high cognitive goes, I wouldn't trust such a person to anything outside of doing what's in their own best interest.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

INFJ 5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari -or- disagree with my type?
    Likes Frosty, Lark liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Why do you think that people are more interested in psychopaths or sociopaths than empaths?
    Perhaps because psychopaths and sociopaths cause more problems than empaths. We don't need to focus the same kind of attention on the latter.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

I think this is a generalization. Now for entertainment purposes on film there are those who follow psychotic killer films with enthusiasm. I personally am of the sound conviction that as a balance both reason and empathy should be trained and instilled in us at a young age. I admire an empathetic person. it is a gift. Whereas a sociopath is a disease.
    Likes Lark liked this post

phallus impudicus

Because they are the minority and that is mysterious and intriguing.
    Likes Kas, Connoisseur liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

The answer is in your post OP.
    Likes Lark liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I think I've noticed something like low affective/high cognitive psychopathy getting romanticized/idealized among the younger people who seem to believe such a thing can exist with strong, almost zen-like ethical parameters keeping the baser impulses (e.g. retaliating in anger over minor ego blows) in check. This belief *seems* to follow from a fictional trend of characters that make it seem like such a thing is possible. But as far as real life experience and everything I've read about low affective/high cognitive goes, I wouldn't trust such a person to anything outside of doing what's in their own best interest.
    Which fictional characters do you imagine conform to that? What are their sources? I know that the author who created Hannibal Lector said most of the fans of his creation had a totally unrealistic and out of touch impression of the character when they protested that his later books featuring the guy "reduced him to a mere psychological case", he said his entire point all along was that he was a mere "psychological case" and people were meant to be fans of the empath, the cop in Red Dragon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Perhaps because psychopaths and sociopaths cause more problems than empaths. We don't need to focus the same kind of attention on the latter.
    They are interesting because they cause problems?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Why do you think that people are more interested in psychopaths or sociopaths than empaths? Why does emoting, feeling and sensitivity get such a bad reputation while reason, thinking and cold indifference are highly thought of? Why is health and strength associated with the later and illness and weakness with the former?

Do you think that the internet culture favours high cognitive empathy and low affective empathy?

I see people trying to fix psychopaths and sociopaths and not empaths...I don't understand your connections at all between "interesting" "thinking" "psychopath" "healthy". Psychopath and psociopath is a referred in DSM-V as "anti-social personality disorder". I am not aware of "empath" being in DSM-V.

People are always interested in WTF people...it sells almost as good as sex sells.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Because they are the minority and that is mysterious and intriguing.
    Could you imagine a world where they were not the minority
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

ok...lets paint 2 pictures.

A room full of "sociopaths"...who is the last one standing

A room full of "empaths"...who feels first?

I mean, common, which is more interesting to watch.
    Im out, its been fun