Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Could you imagine a world where they were not the minority
    Likes Nomendei, Tater liked this post

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

I think it's because psychopathy and sociopathy speak to unconscious and conscious fears. Fear gets attention. People want to master what they fear either by understanding or becoming it. That, and I also blame Ayn Rand.

I will say that sociopaths are not objective - hugely not objective. Lack of emotion does not result in clarify of thought. I think true sociopaths are some of the most irrational examples of human beings. Their choices and behaviors are destructive, self-centered (which is the ultimate subjectivity by classical definition), and their perceptions of reality are hugely distorted. Our society shares their distortions: use logic and emotional detachment to get from point A to B, but never consider the larger consequences. It's how the world works right now, so look around and try to say its objective or rational in the slightest.

Edit: I'm using the traditional, behavioral based definition of sociopathy. There needs to be a different term for people like James Fallon who has the physical brain attributes. However, he describes himself taking exceptional risks in his life. I'm not interested in arguing semantics of the confusion of the term. It has multiple definitions and is messy. I'm talking about the decisions and behaviors that are valued in society that reflect the traditional definition based on the DSM V ("diagnosis assigned to individuals who habitually and pervasively disregard or violate the rights and considerations of others without remorse.")
    I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I mean I consider myself an empath (Which I think definitely a minority too).

If I were forced to go to a room were either it was full of sociopaths or full of empaths. I’m taking the latter for sure. We’d hug it out, achieve spiritual enlightenment, and then ascend ourselves into heaven/merge again with source energy/achieve nirvana/etc. all to just get back in time for dinner!

Here’s how it’d go with sociopaths:

Im a "mental" empath. I confuse the shit outta people because they dont generally know their own state of mind.

I actually scare people because of it
    Im out, its been fun

Sociopaths feel more ‘different’/exotic to people. Empaths- well, I also think that empaths are less well known to the public than psychopaths/sociopaths.

Plus yes, the medias love of the portrayal of the functional- not quite psychopathic psychopath.

Psychopaths also yeah, get more attention because the results of their actions are just on a different spectrum from what normal- people with average or above average empathy- empaths- I guess- expect or even can understand.

We cant quite understand it ourselves- so we pay it more and more attention TRYING to.

Plus, empaths imo- I think people are reluctant to self identify as that- which would really be the only other way it would be talked about- since it doesnt involve any extreme functional impairments and does cause extreme specific impcts that MAKE people look at it- anyways, in our culture of calling ANYONE who self identifies as something like that a ‘special snowflake’ or whatever- well- discussion of this just gets shut down.

So you get more discussion over sociopaths. And less over empaths

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Sociopaths feel more ‘different’/exotic to people. Empaths- well, I also think that empaths are less well known to the public than psychopaths/sociopaths.

Plus yes, the medias love of the portrayal of the functional- not quite psychopathic psychopath.

Psychopaths also yeah, get more attention because the results of their actions are just on a different spectrum from what normal- people with average or above average empathy- empaths- I guess- expect or even can understand.

We cant quite understand it ourselves- so we pay it more and more attention TRYING to.

Plus, empaths imo- I think people are reluctant to self identify as that- which would really be the only other way it would be talked about- since it doesnt involve any extreme functional impairments and does cause extreme specific impcts that MAKE people look at it- anyways, in our culture of calling ANYONE who self identifies as something like that a ‘special snowflake’ or whatever- well- discussion of this just gets shut down.

So you get more discussion over sociopaths. And less over empaths
    Well some don’t even believe such thing as an empath exists.

”you can’t know what I’m feeling. You don’t know me”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Im a "mental" empath. I confuse the shit outta people because they dont generally know their own state of mind.

I actually scare people because of it
    So you tell people what’s on their mind?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    None of these traits have anything to do with empathy. Risk-taking and fearlessness in sociopathy & psychopathy is a result of lack of long-term consequence cognition. In the real world, ppl like that either become v. successful or go to jail. Intelligence is also a quotient that has nothing to do with sociopathy or psychopathy. And protagonists in media usually exhibit empathy.
    I have to admit that I was wrong. Today I asked my psychiatrist about this question and he said that a study showed that psychopaths are below the average in intelligence. He explained that people find the Hannibal-like psychopath. If the character is a normal psychopath, he would certainly be disliked and seen as a jerk. And if you read my previous post with a stereotypical psychopath in mind, like most of the population has, I could be explained why. I also asked him why psychopaths are so popular and “admired”, and his answer was that the reasons are unknown, there are some theories but they are not official.
    I still think that empathy in an excessive proportion could have an effect on intelligence. I am not talking about empathy, but what is beyond. A person who shows too much empathy would be self-destructive.
    People are more twisted than people think.

http://kevan.org/jh/nomendei | http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Nomendei

Softserve Ice Cream Agent Washington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomendei View Post
    I still think that empathy in an excessive proportion could have an effect on intelligence. I am not talking about empathy, but what is beyond. A person who shows too much empathy would be self-destructive.
    Thank you for updating me.

I'm quoting this part because I'll respond to it more directly (I have nothing to add on the other parts). There are different kinds of empathy (I can't remember what now at the moment), but they are distinguished from one another. Eg. Someone has more empathy from another's feelings while being in the same room from nonverbal cues, vs. when someone "knows" what it is like to be in the other person's shoes from imagining that they are in the same situation.

You would be looking at pathology in the sense of excessive empathy (eg. In BPD individuals there are higher rates of affective empathy rather than cognitive empathy, plus a whole bunch of other traits). Pathology could be linked to intelligence and prognosis, but it depends on what. The main reason humans tend to have empathy (at least to some extent) is that humans are social creatures; i.e. meant to live in groups, like rats are. And of course there is such a thing as "too much". But there is also such a thing as "not enough" (i.e. in the case of psychopathy). Both are pathological, it's like saying "too much" or "too little" is better, when neither really is very good.

But then you have to look at other attributes as well. Like intelligence (i.e. are they aware that what they are doing could have negative effect, and what kind of negative effect? If they are aware, and choose to do something out of empathy, then it is qualitatively different from when they aren't aware, and do it blindly.
    There's no love in fear.
    - Tool

Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    - Richard Siken

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    So you tell people what’s on their mind?
    Yes, especially when they dont have the words to get it out or explain it. Or if they are in denial or confused. Most just see some detail...or the trees...not the state of mind. And its not mine because i am nothing like the person.scare shit out of our roommate. I answer unasked questions

I have this exacting nature to my words that explains things very intricately and accurate.
    Im out, its been fun

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Deviance is interesting.

Likes Atomic Fiend liked this post