• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Push - Netflix Special on Social Compliance to Extremes

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm not really personally emotionally invested in rousseau, it's just that he's very influential, and people refer to his work a lot.

Without even checking I can tell that Rousseau was a big influence on Marx, another despicable man - who impregnated and then threw his maid on the street to avoid embarassement and was a parasite and a terrible father and man his whole life.
Is it really surprising that these two men are at the root of the most murderous political philosophy to ever have been born?

In my view marx and to a lesser extent rousseau should be considered as avatars of immorality and evil amongst the likes of Hitler, Lenin, Staline or Ted Bundy.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Without even checking I can tell that Rousseau was a big influence on Marx, another despicable man - who impregnated and then threw his maid on the street to avoid embarassement and was a parasite and a terrible father and man his whole life.
Is it really surprising that these two men are at the root of the most murderous political philosophy to ever have been born?

In my view marx and to a lesser extent rousseau should be considered as avatars of immorality and evil amongst the likes of Hitler, or Ted Bundy.

Uh, thanks for the imput.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
It'd be interesting to see the political break-up of these subjects. I'm particularly interested in how libertarians would behave under these circumstances since we are the most rational types; I don't think I'd respond to peer pressure or stupid demands from authority, but I'd definitely push the buttons if I thought it was funny.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Othello anyone? This show is made for Iago.

Sounds interesting but without watching the show I would say yes.

Ingrid in grids

I've heard a lot of buzz about this, but I've put off watching it because the premise combined with its format doesn't quite sit right with me. I think I will give it a go, though.

I think in general people underestimate their susceptibility to manipulation and coercion.

If you're interested in these themes, there's another Netflix documentary series called The Confession Tapes, which I'd recommend. The series looks at cases in which people have given false confessions to murder, and looks at the circumstances under which they were given, almost always involving coercive interrogation tactics by police. It's pretty alarming stuff. It's also really sad that in most of the cases, the only evidence supporting their guilt was their confession tape. Even when a jury is presented with solid reasons for why they gave the false confession, along with other evidence making their involvement in the crime seem implausible, they will often stick with a guilty verdict, due to their own inability to understand how anyone could be driven to give a false confession. Tldr; don't answer questions, demand a lawyer.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm just going to quote this one because the rest are quite on point, but I don't care to differentiate between 'weak' and 'bad', when the end results are the same. Is this part about be, because of what I specifically wrote earlier in the thread?

I had not read any of the comments in this thread when I posted, so no, Definitely not about you or singling anyone out really my post was entirely about how we are all part of this. We all have an impression that "I would never.." but push comes to shove, most of us already Have and likely would again. All I'm saying is, it is easy as hell to Say you would do something, but different to do something. And perhaps it is less useful to make a judgment call than it is to try to think of all the scenarios that would freeze you up and use it as a mental exercise, rather than dismissing it with what you believe the you-inside-of-you would do.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I’ll watch this when I get home tomorrow but this looks intriguing on many levels. I wonder just how flexible an average human being’s empathy may shift depending on circumstances and rewards such as social bravado. Thank you, [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION], I’ll write a more in depth review this week. :)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It'd be interesting to see the political break-up of these subjects. I'm particularly interested in how libertarians would behave under these circumstances since we are the most rational types; I don't think I'd respond to peer pressure or stupid demands from authority, but I'd definitely push the buttons if I thought it was funny.

That'd be my rationale afterwards. "I murdered that guy ironically"

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I’ll watch this when I get home tomorrow but this looks intriguing on many levels. I wonder just how flexible an average human being’s empathy may shift depending on circumstances and rewards such as social bravado. Thank you, [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION], I’ll write a more in depth review this week. :)

It's been 10 days Nørsky. What u think?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION]

A million apologies for not getting back to you on this sooner. :hug: So I just finished watching it and, aside from that first guy who's made the right decision.. I was sorely disappointed in the other ones and it scares me how easily we're all socially conditioned to just follow the leader without any moments of pause to think of other alternatives. Or to push back against someone or a group berating you into doing something horribly wrong just to save their skins. It really helps put certain things in my life into perspective and I'm going to try harder to not just lie back and believe everything I see or hear.. I'm going to ask questions and challenge authority if something is amiss.

Thank you for bringing this documentary to my attention.. it's pretty gripping!

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION]

A million apologies for not getting back to you on this sooner. :hug: So I just finished watching it and, aside from that first guy who's made the right decision.. I was sorely disappointed in the other ones and it scares me how easily we're all socially conditioned to just follow the leader without any moments of pause to think of other alternatives. Or to push back against someone or a group berating you into doing something horribly wrong just to save their skins. It really helps put certain things in my life into perspective and I'm going to try harder to not just lie back and believe everything I see or hear.. I'm going to ask questions and challenge authority if something is amiss.

Thank you for bringing this documentary to my attention.. it's pretty gripping!

It is pretty gripping. You actually get to see them mess stuff up which is pretty sad. One of them was even violently compliant which is scary as well ;( be especially careful when you’re with a group of friends. It’s very easy just to coast it and do wrong. It’s so easy to rationalize wrong as a group. And knowing conforming to peer pressure is what brings friends.. well friends.. tricky line huh? :|

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm looking for a spoiler review because this is fascinating for the same reason that actually watching the stuff play out would probably make me too angry to finish.