• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you think about?

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think about much. I'm over 50 and am not going to accomplish much more in life than I've already accomplished. And I achieved most of my adventurous goals when I was younger, so I don't have any projects on the near or far horizon.

So I fill up spare time with puttering, reading, music, TV, and chattering with the wife. I spent a lot of my younger years stuck in my head, trying to anticipate disasters or delve into the nature of things. But these days I've got my niche in life sewn up and nothing's really going to be changed by brooding over things. So I crank up the music and putter around the house instead.

I'm content to live in the moment. If something's bugging me, I go to the gym and work out, or pour a drink and turn on the music and practice a new dance step, or whatever. No need to brood about things. Life is good. Thinking is overrated. :)

FL

Booooooooooo:steam: Never say that in the company of an INTP.

I often tell my friend's --:rofl1: who am I kidding I dont have friend's -- that I'm in a perpetual state of apocolyptic fantasy.

Coincidently enough I often end up brooding about the birth of the universe, evolution of species, human history, the concept of god and the effect it's had -- and still has -- on human consciousness.

Interesting and influential experiences i've had cough cough psychedellics cough cough.

The book's I'm reading, have read and have yet to read.

Music, cinema and art -- my own and other's.

How things work, how they're put together etc...

In two words 'existential brooding'........oh and sex.

Last edited:
R

RDF

Booooooooooo:steam: Never say that in the company of an INTP.

Don't worry. I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm just reflecting my age and station in life.

Part of it has to do with my being an INFP. We INFPs are always trying to remake ourselves. I've been in a new stage of life for a few years now, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

A big part of it is reaching middle age and seeing things fall into place: marriage, job, house, locking in a pension. Then you figure out how not to let the little daily irritations get to you. And around that time you finally figure out how to turn off the "thinking/brooding" switch and just enjoy the people and the routines and the life around you.

It's not for everyone. Some might say I'm setting my sights too low. But for an INFP, it's good enough to merit a little bragging. :cool:

FL

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think about many different things... in fact I feel I'm getting to be too introspective lately. I wish I can just let go like you do FL, but there's just way too many problems all interconnected to one another. I think of one solution, and then I couldn't help but think about how it will affect another one, then see parts that wouldn't work well... and I'm back to square one. :doh:

Anyways, the major one I have currently is this: I know I need to change myself, the question is how?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Quite often, like today, I do think "I've no idea what I'm doing, so please don't follow me!"

People still do, though :doh:

R

RDF

I think about many different things... in fact I feel I'm getting to be too introspective lately. I wish I can just let go like you do FL, but there's just way too many problems all interconnected to one another. I think of one solution, and then I couldn't help but think about how it will affect another one, then see parts that wouldn't work well... and I'm back to square one. :doh:

Anyways, the major one I have currently is this: I know I need to change myself, the question is how?

Hi Nightning,

Good to see you again. Seems like I haven't seen you much recently.

Like I said, I'm not looking to convert anyone. And the thread isn't really about whether we need to change our way of thinking or how to do that.

But what the heck. If this leads to a derailment of the thread, the mods can perhaps split it off and fashion a new thread out of it.

You're right, there are a couple of steps to progress through in order to start changing things in our lives. We have a fixed architecture to our ways of thinking, and we have devices for defending that architecture. When our architecture is threatened with new, unexpected input, we experience that threat as distress. And the distress has to be dealt with before we can input new ideas and undertake change. When I described my own changes, I left out that step: dealing with the distress that accompanies new ways of thinking and change.

You said: ...There's just way too many problems all interconnected to one another. I think of one solution, and then I couldn't help but think about how it will affect another one, then see parts that wouldn't work well... and I'm back to square one.

That, of course, is your Ni. Introverted iNtuition structures your values and thoughts as an interconnected network or framework. If you want to input a new value, the entire network has to be shifted around and reshaped. If new information and values come at you too fast, then your internal network and everything contained in it feels threatened simultaneously and you start using your Fe as a barrier to keep out new information. When that happens, the new information "feels" wrong or threatening.

At least, that's how I understand it works.

Just for contrast, the INFP's Fi works kind of the opposite. Values float around individually and separately, and there's not a real sense of connection from one to the next. But if a new idea threatens one of the values, then that value can grow in importance to the point where I perceive the attack on that value as an attack on me personally (the traditional INFP defensiveness). And if I use my Ne as a barrier to keep out new information, I end up getting haunted by a sense of impending doom. My Ne gives new information an added sense of threat.

So it's true that one needs to break down their defensive structure and learn how to deal with the distress of new or intruding ideas or information. In my case as an INFP, I handled some situations by simply taking a step back (figuratively or literally) and looking at the situation dispassionately and using a little T. Or if I made an obvious error and people laughed at me, then I learned to laugh with them instead of getting defensive. I quit holding myself to such a high standard and decided that it was acceptable to be a screw-up, if that's what it took to break out of my rut. And in the case of my Ne and the sense of impending doom, I simply learned to tune that out and treat it as self-generated static. A false signal.

So yes, that's the first step: Learn to deal with the distress of new ideas and new ways of seeing things. Learn that when a situation makes you feel distressed, it doesn't necessarily mean that the situation is dangerous to you. It may just be that your internal network of values is being challenged and you need to open up even more and welcome the challenge. Watch how other people handle a situation that would shake you up. If they accept the situation without any particular distress, then try it yourself. Shake off the distress signals, toughen up your skin, and try some new things.

It's only the first step, of course. But if you get in the habit of staying open to new things and/or looking at old things from new angles, solutions to problems will start coming easier to you.

Try out the following link. It says much the same things I mentioned above, but at more length. Instead of preserving your Ni internal network from shocks, do some work to open it up to new input and toughen it up a bit so that it can take in new information quicker and more boldly.

INFJ Personal Growth

FL

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm very rarely thinking about what I'm doing. It all just comes automatically. I even sometimes deliberately try not to, like when you suddenly stop to think about breathing, you find you can't do something properly that usually comes naturally. A lot of the time, I'm purposely not thinking anything, so that whatever I come across, I meet with an open mind and can make the most of it.

It's weird - almost everyone I know would say I was a deep, thinking person, and I guess I do 'think' some deep stuff. But most of the time I feel like I'm really just making it up as I go along. I guess I am thinking, I always feel like my brain's on the go, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what I was thinking about. I don't think I even know. It's like it has a um... mind of its own? haha..

Ja.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
School topics & issues.

Bills and other shit I should have taken care of looong ago but am now having to deal with because we live in a fascist free-market system and some multi-billion dollar company cannot afford to subsidize me.

The gamut of biological impulses and their associated thoughts.

"Work blows."
"I hate work."
"I so need a new job."
"Goddamnit! What am I doing here?"

Who/what/where I'll be 30 years from now.

The various ways in which humanity could conceivably wiped out.

The fact that there is a thin film of stuff separating me from the vastness of empty space.

Biking, places to bike. Skateboarding, places I've skated.

Areas I want to check out for fossils...

(just a few)

heart

heart on fire
I think a lot about patterns in History and the mass forces that fuel the events of history. I think about how the forces of environment and geography have affected humanity and shaped our development.

I think about individualism vs. collectivism. I think about how can one be sure that they have true independent thought or are they conforming even unconsciously to what others impose on them.

I often feel torn between my wanting to connect with others and wanting to be alone.

I think about cats. ;)

I think about biology and the interconnectedness of everything. I think about planets spinning around distant stars and what kinds of life are there and how is its composition different than what Earth life is.

I spend some time trying to understand things by catagorizing them into opposites, like Yin-Yang, left brain, right brain, etc. What can each item's opposite tell me about it?

I think about why is the world the way it is. What are the true laws of the universe and how does it differ from what humanity now believes are the laws of how the universe works. What comes after this? What came before? Can we ever know? How can we be sure once we know?

What kinds of existience are there besides the one we know as this universe? Why are we here" Why is biology flawed, why is there sickness?

Is the mineral world really "dead" or is it simply a different form of being that we are too narrow in our view as yet to understand.

Do the organs in my body have consciousness, are they each a small being living within me as I live within the Earth? Maybe even the cells have being, not on the level with us, but at a much lower level. If so, do they feel as helpless to the way I treat my body as I feel to the forces of nature or society?

What will it feel like to be totally spirit? Are we surrounded by forces that could be called "elemental spirits?" If so, does the Earth itself have a spirit? If so how does the Earth feel? What does the Earth think? Is the Earth dying? If the Earth passes on and it has an elemental spirit, will it pass on to another form of exisitence and if so, will we follow it?

What was it like to be a cave person? What would it be like to be that pitted against the elements alone, that independent compared to the way we are now.

Were the Gnostics right, is there a true God and a demiruge who created the world as an error. If so, what would have been the correct path?

Then I think that I can never really find the answers to these questions and I feel depressed about it for awhile and then I rerturn to searching for answers. That's a never ending loop, so I am never bored!

Arandur

MBTI Type
INTJ
People: how they work, why they work that way, why certain people do certain things, etc., all the time... argh it drives me nuts. :17425:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Things I've thought about recently:

-the most efficient way to do an experiment at work
-worrying about a potential medical issue
-deciding whether to bike home
-planning a party/wondering if I should call it off
-wondering how much I have to keep ties with family for politeness' sake
-thinking about whether I can afford to not get a part-time job in the fall when I go back to school
-looking at my future career as it's planned now, and seeing what changes I can make
-missing my forest by my old house
-what to cook for dinner
-similar things

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Btw this:
Bills and other shit I should have taken care of looong ago
reminded me that my visa bill's due today. Once again I am reminded at the last possible minute.

Llenyd

MBTI Type
INTP
Music that I've listened to recently.

Game Theory. I haven't really studied any of the supporting math, but the scenarios fascinate me.

Two fictional universes -one fantasy, one sci-fi. Both were born out of semi-coherent dreams. I flesh out storyline, characters, history, etc. But I'm a terrible writer, so the stories will likely never come to fruition.

Methofelis

MBTI Type
INTP
Medical abnormalities, graphite pencils, my attempts at empathy, bills, dog food, music, and what I can eat today that will not cause me ill.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
hhhmmm can you believe that my mind has periods of blankness... where it appears empty, well on a thought level yet when it's blank that is usually when my emotions are heightened. Does that make sense.

I often catch myself thinking about the what ifs of life.... then I think about the feelings I have and why.......

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Are there any topics or thoughts that you notice your mind continually returns to? What is the nature of these thoughts? Do you like thinking these thoughts, or would you rather think about something else? Do you have any control over these thoughts?

If you consciousness had legs and a lifetime supply of frequent flyer miles where would it go?

God, religion, mankind's behaviour and need for god, natural instincts, the supernatural, and round and round and round.

Everything seems to lead back to those thoughts, even random thoughts on sex could send me off on a tangent back to those things.

I would rather not think or dwell on it anymore, yet I still end up dwelling on it. No control over when they come, but I can shake them off consciously until the next time it creeps up on me.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I oftne think about art... theres hardly a time when I'm not thinking about music. I'm very philosophical, so I often think of things about... the nature of things (holy god, I'm David Suzuki :O :p). I often think about what my... purpose or meaning or whatever is, and how much I've developed as a person.

I often think of potential situations... its quite odd, really... I'll think about an argument i can see myself getting into, or just a general conversation, and I'll imagine it the whole way through, even assuming the personality of the people I imagine I'm interacting with.

I have some thoughts that are like the things above, but instead of being argumentive they are romantic... like me meeting some girl some palce and it ending up being a perfect meeting and all that jazz. I really like those ones.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well I would say:

Computers/Technology

Finding myself

People I care about

Injustices and cruelties of reality.

People I hate.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think about (in no particular order):

*am I doing the right thing/s with my time and my life? Is there something better I could/should be doing?

*exercising (and then not doing it)
*being hungry, how there is not food in the house I want to eat or want to cook and wishing I had something to eat I wanted
*eating healthy
*being in a romantic relationship
*whether I am making good choices
*my daughter and if I am giving her what she needs
*what my daughter will be like when she grows up -what she will do for work, if she will have children, where she will live, etc.
*money -making it, spending it, having it, not having it
*debts - being worried them
*work
*school starting soon and being nervous about going to classes, writing papers, being with people younger than me, my major (what I will do with my degree after school)
*Paying bills
*my car
*returning phone calls
*my family and friends
*God and spirituality, meditation
*being happy, being a good friend, being generous toward others
*global warming