• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

First Attempts At Humor ( Children )

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Parents will be most resourceful here, perhaps. Or think back to when you were a child. Tell jokes that you once ( or current children ) thought/think funny.

They are often funny in a recursive sort of way by being ....not funny. Something like "Plan 9 From Outer Space" etc. but different. Sometimes they show originality ( "out of the mouths of babes " ) and sometimes the fact that the child thought that it was funny illustrates a phase they are going through, a new level of maturity.

A child was asked to complete this bromide. "Two heads are better than______" ??????

The child's answer - "None."

Remember long ago, if it was yourself, or, when kids try to tell dirty jokes for the first time ?

What about corney old jokes like "What's the biggest pencil in the world ?"
"Pennsylvania" Kids go through a stage where they really like stuff like this, and then they discard it. What is the next stage of humor for them ? How do they go about deciding to transition to the next level ?

Is it related to them being able to enjoy a game even more if they know there is a chance of losing it ? When they are especially young, sometimes they can't stand to lose, and so parents "playing" a game with them are challenged to make it more than just going through the motions, but yet still having to subvert it somehow.

Old people can be like this, too. I remember when I bartended at this one place, an old codger would often show up and ask me a riddle. I don't know if he just liked playing with me, or if he was truly that forgetful.

It was always the same riddle.

He'd ask - "Who's the king of corn?"

I'd say "You got me. Who is it, John ?"

"POP Corn !!" he'd say, and then laugh for a few minutes like it was hilarious.

He tipped well, and so I always went along with it to some degree. Sometimes someone else would "do the honors". It was like hearing a familiar pinball machine noise or something. Just part of the night noises.

An old street bum's joke to me one night - "Candy tastes good when you aint got no teef ! Ha Ha Ha "

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My son (fifth grade) thinks he's hilarious, but only recently has he started making some truly funny jokes.

Him: What do you call a Wii with one controller?
Victim: I don't know, what?
Him: A Mii!

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My son (fifth grade) thinks he's hilarious, but only recently has he started making some truly funny jokes.

haha! funny.. intelligent kid

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I can't remember specific jokes I made as a child. There were too many. But this is an interesting topic.

I know that I liked to do impressions of people - change my voice, the way I walked. And I think sometimes my jokes pissed my mom off. Again, I can't remember any particulars, but I vaguely remember times when I'd hit a sore spot inadvertently when I really meant no harm. I need to ask my mom about this.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My mom recently asked Thing 2 if he needed a clean diaper. He answered "No. You can't change me." That would have been funny in its own way, but then she asked "Why not?" And he replied, trying not to smile: "Because. It's changerous." Baby's first pun. :)

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mom recently asked Thing 2 if he needed a clean diaper. He answered "No. You can't change me." That would have been funny in its own way, but then she asked "Why not?" And he replied, trying not to smile: "Because. It's changerous." Baby's first pun. :)

Ivy, thats not just creative & intelligent, its super cute too :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've been funny since the maximum age of five, though I wasn't very adept at that point...

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
When I was two, I would roll around on the floor yelling "poopoo". The crowd went wild.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As far as I can remember, my humor was always a play on words and sometimes people's names. I always found myself liking corny jokes -- like the ones in Highlights magazines -- and James Bond-like puns. In high school, I began to enjoy sex jokes, but it wasn't the fact it revolved around sex, but the entendre -- I always found myself admiring innuendos (though not just sexual), and I use them, as well.

I was also a big fan of Jim Carrey humor growing up, as well. And my early exposure to The Three Stooges made me appreciate slapstick.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP

:)

:) Sounds very precocious !!

When I was two, I would roll around on the floor yelling "poopoo". The crowd went wild.

* considers putting in sig *