• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Brain Activity Shows Bipolar Depression Harder to Gain Emotional Control

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Thought this was an interesting article, and i know there's a few people on here with bipolar so perhaps this is bad news to you or perhaps it may help you understand why some things are the way they are. Do you agree or disagree with the article, those who have bipolar? I know not everyone with bipolar is the same so you may relate or you may not
Or perhaps you yourself aren't bipolar but someone close to you is, what's your opinion of this article?
or rather your just part of the peanut gallery, do you have an opinion?
Hope & Harmony Headlines: Brain Activity Shows Bipolar Depression Harder to Gain Emotional Control | bpHope

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah, I relate.

Its frustrating because sometimes when I KNOW Im not depressed depressed... it can still be hard to completely control my impulses. Its like with medication Im going from like 40-60... and without it Im going from 0-100. 0 and 100 are both a ton worse than 40 or 60... but sometimes I just want to stay steady at 50.

I definitely spend more time depressed than manic/hypermanic- I have experienced I believe both of those two other states... but they tend to be sandwiched in between depressive episodes and just... sort of merge into a period I just generally consider ‘unhealthy’- a period of rapid cycling.

Its common though. From this one article...

One reason depression is more debilitating than mania is that it lasts longer; another is that it occurs more frequently: According to a 2002 study by Lewis L. Judd and colleagues at the University of California at San Diego published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, people with bipolar I experience depression three times as often as mania. For bipolar II, the ratio of time spent in depression versus mania is a whopping 40:1.

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About BIPOLAR DEPRESSION | bpHope

Hah. Im somewhere between 1/3rd of the time manic and 1/40th as compared to time depressed but yeah- I think sometimes people dont realize how BAD the depression can be. And how knowing that it is going to happen again and again and again... how defeating it can be. Like yoir article said, its ridiculously hard to fight your way out of because by the time one happens you are already... just so tired. So wanting to just be DONE with these episodes. And if theres a chemical component there... its not surprising. Its really hard to fight your way out of one of these episodes..

But yeah. Depression is hardest for me because it comes the most often. Like I told my therapist the last hypomanic episode I had... I really enjoyed it. Its a common thing really for those to be somewhat enjoyed- this feeling of elevated mood and ‘can do attitude’ but yeah- knowing that a depressive episodes just around the corner makes it very tough for me. Though I DO think Im getting better at dealing with them- just because now I understand what they are and have better coping skills.

Mixed episodes are the worst though. That and, like I said, rapid cycling... make me want to puke and die and puke and die and its just no fun. At ALL.

I think all states of mood can be really hard to control and like- do better from. Because its just SO overpoweting. Not to minimize major depressive disorder- because thats hard too... but I guess its more like with bipolar... its not going away no maytwr what- its written INTO you- and theres no getting rid of it. And that just... can be super depressing. Still tryin g- and doing better at I WILL SAY- coming to terms with that

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I relate.

Its frustrating because sometimes when I KNOW Im not depressed depressed... it can still be hard to completely control my impulses. Its like with medication Im going from like 40-60... and without it Im going from 0-100. 0 and 100 are both a ton worse than 40 or 60... but sometimes I just want to stay steady at 50.

I definitely spend more time depressed than manic/hypermanic- I have experienced I believe both of those two other states... but they tend to be sandwiched in between depressive episodes and just... sort of merge into a period I just generally consider ‘unhealthy’- a period of rapid cycling.

Its common though. From this one article...

One reason depression is more debilitating than mania is that it lasts longer; another is that it occurs more frequently: According to a 2002 study by Lewis L. Judd and colleagues at the University of California at San Diego published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, people with bipolar I experience depression three times as often as mania. For bipolar II, the ratio of time spent in depression versus mania is a whopping 40:1.

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About BIPOLAR DEPRESSION | bpHope

Hah. Im somewhere between 1/3rd of the time manic and 1/40th as compared to time depressed but yeah- I think sometimes people dont realize how BAD the depression can be. And how knowing that it is going to happen again and again and again... how defeating it can be. Like yoir article said, its ridiculously hard to fight your way out of because by the time one happens you are already... just so tired. So wanting to just be DONE with these episodes. And if theres a chemical component there... its not surprising. Its really hard to fight your way out of one of these episodes..

But yeah. Depression is hardest for me because it comes the most often. Like I told my therapist the last hypomanic episode I had... I really enjoyed it. Its a common thing really for those to be somewhat enjoyed- this feeling of elevated mood and ‘can do attitude’ but yeah- knowing that a depressive episodes just around the corner makes it very tough for me. Though I DO think Im getting better at dealing with them- just because now I understand what they are and have better coping skills.

Mixed episodes are the worst though. That and, like I said, rapid cycling... make me want to puke and die and puke and die and its just no fun. At ALL.

I think all states of mood can be really hard to control and like- do better from. Because its just SO overpoweting. Not to minimize major depressive disorder- because thats hard too... but I guess its more like with bipolar... its not going away no maytwr what- its written INTO you- and theres no getting rid of it. And that just... can be super depressing. Still tryin g- and doing better at I WILL SAY- coming to terms with that

Thanks, tbh I suspected you would relate based on what I know about you

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks, tbh I suspected you would relate based on what I know about you

Lol yeah. Its frustrating because sometimes I even doubt if I AM bipolar because I really do spend a whole bunch more time depressed or mixed than I do euphoric. I mean, I can be euphoric and depressed at the same time- which again, sorta a mixed episode thing there... but its nice to read about the depressive side like... being hard to get out from. Its, to be completely honest, sort of validating. Like I try really hard not to be depressed- sometimes to the point of almost desperately forcing myself NOT to be depressed... so it sort of makes sense its really... really a tough thing to get out from.

I knlw some people lean more on the high side than I do though, so if they wanted would be interested in hearing their perspectives.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Lol yeah. Its frustrating because sometimes I even doubt if I AM bipolar because I really do spend a whole bunch more time depressed or mixed than I do euphoric. I mean, I can be euphoric and depressed at the same time- which again, sorta a mixed episode thing there... but its nice to read about the depressive side like... being hard to get out from. Its, to be completely honest, sort of validating. Like I try really hard not to be depressed- sometimes to the point of almost desperately forcing myself NOT to be depressed... so it sort of makes sense its really... really a tough thing to get out from.

I knlw some people lean more on the high side than I do though, so if they wanted would be interested in hearing their perspectives.

Never really experienced mania but i agree depression is really hard to get out off, I was holding off commenting because I'm not bipolar, but someone who's dealt with severe depression yes I agree.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Never really experienced mania but i agree depression is really hard to get out off, I was holding off commenting because I'm not bipolar, but someone who's dealt with severe depression yes I agree.

Yep. Depression sucks too because like- you dont understand why you are feeling the way you do.

Like mild depressions similar to walking around with a cold that just never gets better. You feel AWFUL and so tired and SICK OF IT but then you also feel guilty because you are like ‘its not like its pneumonia or anything’ even though like- you ARE STILL SUFFERING. You feel awful and its not your fault and its BAD because you feel trapped in it. Effected enough that it makes everything harder- but guilty because it doesnt necessarily make things impossible. Plus, at that level you are still in a place enough where you care that you are being less productive than normal. Like the fact that you havent left the house in 3 days, or that you havent completed an assignment- those things still matter to you to the point where you sorta feel like a failure for not doing them. Where with like more severe depression you like- those things are really sort of afterthoughts. You are more focused on keeping yourself breathing and away from suicidal thoughts then whether or not you got a B or A on your last test. So if you are mildly depressed you get all this stuff around you falling apart and you actually still care so thats distressing.

What Im trying to say is.... depression for anyone... like no matter the level, sucks in my opinion in its own individual sucky way. Bipolar, major depressive disorder, schizoaffective- all sucks.

I wouldnt wish depression on my worst enemy. Its SO SO hard.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm actually one of those weirdos who's a lot more prone to the mania/mixed side of things (really prone to mixed actually... moreso than either of the others)... can't decide whether i hate to be up or down more actually... both are perfectly horrible in their own way

I can get the feeling of depression though... like sinking slowly in a way... just slipping down with nothing to even get a grip on in any way... I genuinely want to die even though I know intellectually that everything is actually fine and that there are things to look forward to, I just can't shake the desire to kill myself because the feeling is so... there

guess I can't really put it in words, but my rational side runs up against things it can't understand or budge... so yes, I kind of get the article :(

á´…eparted

passages
Yes, I would say this definitely resonates with me. Who I am when I am doing well, and who I am when I am not experience very different landscapes, and a stark difference is when I am not doing well I can not tamp down my feelings properly. I deal with one, another appears, and eventually they unground to the point where there is no thought connected to them, so no amount of thought can address them.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, I would say this definitely resonates with me. Who I am when I am doing well, and who I am when I am not experience very different landscapes, and a stark difference is when I am not doing well I can not tamp down my feelings properly. I deal with one, another appears, and eventually they unground to the point where there is no thought connected to them, so no amount of thought can address them.

Yes I get like this. Where its like my thoughts and my feelings are separate. Like I can tell myself ‘things are fine’ but... its almost offensive when I get low enough. It feels like lies because I feel... just beyond awful.

The most I can do when Im low anymore is to tell myself it WILL eventually end- NOT convince myself that everything is ok. Because the feeling of it NOT being ok is too severe- too grounded in me- for that to really help much.

I'm actually one of those weirdos who's a lot more prone to the mania/mixed side of things (really prone to mixed actually... moreso than either of the others)... can't decide whether i hate to be up or down more actually... both are perfectly horrible in their own way

I can get the feeling of depression though... like sinking slowly in a way... just slipping down with nothing to even get a grip on in any way... I genuinely want to die even though I know intellectually that everything is actually fine and that there are things to look forward to, I just can't shake the desire to kill myself because the feeling is so... there

guess I can't really put it in words, but my rational side runs up against things it can't understand or budge... so yes, I kind of get the article :(

Yeah. Yeah. Its like the lowest you can feel- all the time. From the second you wake up until the second you go to bed. And it pervades every aspect of you. Makes it feel like you are kinda almost drowning in yourself . And you just want it to end- because its all the time- and so you start thinking about things like suicide. Because it couldnt be WORSE. Its at least somethng different. Some sort of escape from it all.

Even though you know you want to live... you also know that you dont want to live the way you are. And so its hard. Its like... do you hope things will change... that you DONT have to kill yourself for that to happen... or... well. Its hard waiting when every second feels like agony. Hope is such an...well. Its a complicated thing.

I dunno. I get it. Its hard. And it sucks when it happens. And it sucks to know itll probably happen again. But- well- what can you do but the best you can I suppose. The best you can to enjoy the moments when you DONT feel that way I guess. And bear through the ones you do.

But its so so tiring sometimes

This seems right to me. It was worse when I was younger. A lot of my issues started at 10 years old or so and the onset of puberty just made me highly volatile. It was difficult to find a balanced emotional state. A calmness.

I suppose perhaps my tendency to get angry was my ‘up’ phase? It was really terrible when I was a teen. I never hurt anyone physically (well a couple of fights). I’d say awful things though. The kind of personal things you can cut someone with deeply. Or I’d utterly destroy something. Usually something of mine but I’d decimate whatever it was. I’m so glad that level of impulsivity dropped off. I also learned to discipline myself and refrain from saying those things you can’t retract that destroy friendships. The momentary pleasure of lashing out is gone in an instant and you’re left with a chasm of regret and a destroyed relationship.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

this sort of suprised me at first glace, but then i thought about it more and after remembering reading your blog when you weren't doing well yes this makes sense. Also when I'm doing well it's hard for me to control my emotions, so i was like he does a better job then me and i feel the same way when I'm depressed and it's like you idiot, no just no

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Is it like when I'm in a psychosis part of me is like there's no way this is real but another part of me is what if it is? then the what if is becomes oh that is defiently true?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
This seems right to me. It was worse when I was younger. A lot of my issues started at 10 years old or so and the onset of puberty just made me highly volatile. It was difficult to find a balanced emotional state. A calmness.

I suppose perhaps my tendency to get angry was my ‘up’ phase? It was really terrible when I was a teen. I never hurt anyone physically (well a couple of fights). I’d say awful things though. The kind of personal things you can cut someone with deeply. Or I’d utterly destroy something. Usually something of mine but I’d decimate whatever it was. I’m so glad that level of impulsivity dropped off. I also learned to discipline myself and refrain from saying those things you can’t retract that destroy friendships. The momentary pleasure of lashing out is gone in an instant and you’re left with a chasm of regret and a destroyed relationship.

I think when you're impulsive I was impulsive and reactive when I was younger eventually you learn to tone it down, because you get sick of driving people away and the consequences at least that's how it was for me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
tbh i thought this was an interesting article, but i guess no one else did, oh well this was a bust.

tbh i thought this was an interesting article, but i guess no one else did, oh well this was a bust.

It was interesting. And lots of people who are diagnosed aren’t willing to admit it to others and themselves. Even showing interest in the subject might make them nervous. Thank you for posting this. :hi:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It was interesting. And lots of people who are diagnosed aren’t willing to admit it to others and themselves. Even showing interest in the subject might make them nervous. Thank you for posting this. :hi:

yeah but they could lie and say they have a friend who is.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I have both bipolar and borderline personality disorder, so quite honestly my emotions are just flat out always hard to regulate. I can be in the middle of a manic episode and something triggers the borderline and suddenly I go from an 8 to a 0 and then when that passes I may go back to a 7 or 8 again. One of the patterns I have noticed though is that with borderline there's a certain impulsivity to the emotions, like 0 to 100 driving off of a cliff, and bipolar feels like some longer lasting deep pit I'm dragged down into.

I don't know how to explain it, I've just gotten better at telling episodes apart over time. With bipolar I will feel like I'm just sinking out of nowhere, no trigger. There's also more pain involved probably.

I lack the guidance of professionals, these are just my own observations of my patterns...I could be mixing things up a little.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
After further observation of myself I realized I still do relate to this despite having emotional dysregulation outside of it.