User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    34,340

    Default Brain Activity Shows Bipolar Depression Harder to Gain Emotional Control

    Thought this was an interesting article, and i know there's a few people on here with bipolar so perhaps this is bad news to you or perhaps it may help you understand why some things are the way they are. Do you agree or disagree with the article, those who have bipolar? I know not everyone with bipolar is the same so you may relate or you may not
    Or perhaps you yourself aren't bipolar but someone close to you is, what's your opinion of this article?
    or rather your just part of the peanut gallery, do you have an opinion?
    Hope & Harmony Headlines: Brain Activity Shows Bipolar Depression Harder to Gain Emotional Control | bpHope
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Frosty, Enigma liked this post

  2. #2
    Poking the poodle Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Yeah, I relate.

    Its frustrating because sometimes when I KNOW Im not depressed depressed... it can still be hard to completely control my impulses. Its like with medication Im going from like 40-60... and without it Im going from 0-100. 0 and 100 are both a ton worse than 40 or 60... but sometimes I just want to stay steady at 50.

    I definitely spend more time depressed than manic/hypermanic- I have experienced I believe both of those two other states... but they tend to be sandwiched in between depressive episodes and just... sort of merge into a period I just generally consider ‘unhealthy’- a period of rapid cycling.

    Its common though. From this one article...

    One reason depression is more debilitating than mania is that it lasts longer; another is that it occurs more frequently: According to a 2002 study by Lewis L. Judd and colleagues at the University of California at San Diego published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, people with bipolar I experience depression three times as often as mania. For bipolar II, the ratio of time spent in depression versus mania is a whopping 40:1.

    Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About BIPOLAR DEPRESSION | bpHope

    Hah. Im somewhere between 1/3rd of the time manic and 1/40th as compared to time depressed but yeah- I think sometimes people dont realize how BAD the depression can be. And how knowing that it is going to happen again and again and again... how defeating it can be. Like yoir article said, its ridiculously hard to fight your way out of because by the time one happens you are already... just so tired. So wanting to just be DONE with these episodes. And if theres a chemical component there... its not surprising. Its really hard to fight your way out of one of these episodes..

    But yeah. Depression is hardest for me because it comes the most often. Like I told my therapist the last hypomanic episode I had... I really enjoyed it. Its a common thing really for those to be somewhat enjoyed- this feeling of elevated mood and ‘can do attitude’ but yeah- knowing that a depressive episodes just around the corner makes it very tough for me. Though I DO think Im getting better at dealing with them- just because now I understand what they are and have better coping skills.


    Mixed episodes are the worst though. That and, like I said, rapid cycling... make me want to puke and die and puke and die and its just no fun. At ALL.

    I think all states of mood can be really hard to control and like- do better from. Because its just SO overpoweting. Not to minimize major depressive disorder- because thats hard too... but I guess its more like with bipolar... its not going away no maytwr what- its written INTO you- and theres no getting rid of it. And that just... can be super depressing. Still tryin g- and doing better at I WILL SAY- coming to terms with that
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    34,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Yeah, I relate.

    Its frustrating because sometimes when I KNOW Im not depressed depressed... it can still be hard to completely control my impulses. Its like with medication Im going from like 40-60... and without it Im going from 0-100. 0 and 100 are both a ton worse than 40 or 60... but sometimes I just want to stay steady at 50.

    I definitely spend more time depressed than manic/hypermanic- I have experienced I believe both of those two other states... but they tend to be sandwiched in between depressive episodes and just... sort of merge into a period I just generally consider ‘unhealthy’- a period of rapid cycling.

    Its common though. From this one article...

    One reason depression is more debilitating than mania is that it lasts longer; another is that it occurs more frequently: According to a 2002 study by Lewis L. Judd and colleagues at the University of California at San Diego published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, people with bipolar I experience depression three times as often as mania. For bipolar II, the ratio of time spent in depression versus mania is a whopping 40:1.

    Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About BIPOLAR DEPRESSION | bpHope

    Hah. Im somewhere between 1/3rd of the time manic and 1/40th as compared to time depressed but yeah- I think sometimes people dont realize how BAD the depression can be. And how knowing that it is going to happen again and again and again... how defeating it can be. Like yoir article said, its ridiculously hard to fight your way out of because by the time one happens you are already... just so tired. So wanting to just be DONE with these episodes. And if theres a chemical component there... its not surprising. Its really hard to fight your way out of one of these episodes..

    But yeah. Depression is hardest for me because it comes the most often. Like I told my therapist the last hypomanic episode I had... I really enjoyed it. Its a common thing really for those to be somewhat enjoyed- this feeling of elevated mood and ‘can do attitude’ but yeah- knowing that a depressive episodes just around the corner makes it very tough for me. Though I DO think Im getting better at dealing with them- just because now I understand what they are and have better coping skills.


    Mixed episodes are the worst though. That and, like I said, rapid cycling... make me want to puke and die and puke and die and its just no fun. At ALL.

    I think all states of mood can be really hard to control and like- do better from. Because its just SO overpoweting. Not to minimize major depressive disorder- because thats hard too... but I guess its more like with bipolar... its not going away no maytwr what- its written INTO you- and theres no getting rid of it. And that just... can be super depressing. Still tryin g- and doing better at I WILL SAY- coming to terms with that
    Thanks, tbh I suspected you would relate based on what I know about you
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Frosty liked this post

  4. #4
    Poking the poodle Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Thanks, tbh I suspected you would relate based on what I know about you
    Lol yeah. Its frustrating because sometimes I even doubt if I AM bipolar because I really do spend a whole bunch more time depressed or mixed than I do euphoric. I mean, I can be euphoric and depressed at the same time- which again, sorta a mixed episode thing there... but its nice to read about the depressive side like... being hard to get out from. Its, to be completely honest, sort of validating. Like I try really hard not to be depressed- sometimes to the point of almost desperately forcing myself NOT to be depressed... so it sort of makes sense its really... really a tough thing to get out from.

    I knlw some people lean more on the high side than I do though, so if they wanted would be interested in hearing their perspectives.
    Likes prplchknz, Enigma liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    34,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Lol yeah. Its frustrating because sometimes I even doubt if I AM bipolar because I really do spend a whole bunch more time depressed or mixed than I do euphoric. I mean, I can be euphoric and depressed at the same time- which again, sorta a mixed episode thing there... but its nice to read about the depressive side like... being hard to get out from. Its, to be completely honest, sort of validating. Like I try really hard not to be depressed- sometimes to the point of almost desperately forcing myself NOT to be depressed... so it sort of makes sense its really... really a tough thing to get out from.

    I knlw some people lean more on the high side than I do though, so if they wanted would be interested in hearing their perspectives.
    Never really experienced mania but i agree depression is really hard to get out off, I was holding off commenting because I'm not bipolar, but someone who's dealt with severe depression yes I agree.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Frosty liked this post

  6. #6
    Poking the poodle Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Never really experienced mania but i agree depression is really hard to get out off, I was holding off commenting because I'm not bipolar, but someone who's dealt with severe depression yes I agree.
    Yep. Depression sucks too because like- you dont understand why you are feeling the way you do.

    Like mild depressions similar to walking around with a cold that just never gets better. You feel AWFUL and so tired and SICK OF IT but then you also feel guilty because you are like ‘its not like its pneumonia or anything’ even though like- you ARE STILL SUFFERING. You feel awful and its not your fault and its BAD because you feel trapped in it. Effected enough that it makes everything harder- but guilty because it doesnt necessarily make things impossible. Plus, at that level you are still in a place enough where you care that you are being less productive than normal. Like the fact that you havent left the house in 3 days, or that you havent completed an assignment- those things still matter to you to the point where you sorta feel like a failure for not doing them. Where with like more severe depression you like- those things are really sort of afterthoughts. You are more focused on keeping yourself breathing and away from suicidal thoughts then whether or not you got a B or A on your last test. So if you are mildly depressed you get all this stuff around you falling apart and you actually still care so thats distressing.

    What Im trying to say is.... depression for anyone... like no matter the level, sucks in my opinion in its own individual sucky way. Bipolar, major depressive disorder, schizoaffective- all sucks.

    I wouldnt wish depression on my worst enemy. Its SO SO hard.
    Likes prplchknz, Lord Lavender liked this post

  7. #7
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,656

    Default

    I'm actually one of those weirdos who's a lot more prone to the mania/mixed side of things (really prone to mixed actually... moreso than either of the others)... can't decide whether i hate to be up or down more actually... both are perfectly horrible in their own way

    I can get the feeling of depression though... like sinking slowly in a way... just slipping down with nothing to even get a grip on in any way... I genuinely want to die even though I know intellectually that everything is actually fine and that there are things to look forward to, I just can't shake the desire to kill myself because the feeling is so... there

    guess I can't really put it in words, but my rational side runs up against things it can't understand or budge... so yes, I kind of get the article
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes prplchknz, Enigma liked this post

  8. #8

    Default

    Yes, I would say this definitely resonates with me. Who I am when I am doing well, and who I am when I am not experience very different landscapes, and a stark difference is when I am not doing well I can not tamp down my feelings properly. I deal with one, another appears, and eventually they unground to the point where there is no thought connected to them, so no amount of thought can address them.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

  9. #9
    Poking the poodle Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Yes, I would say this definitely resonates with me. Who I am when I am doing well, and who I am when I am not experience very different landscapes, and a stark difference is when I am not doing well I can not tamp down my feelings properly. I deal with one, another appears, and eventually they unground to the point where there is no thought connected to them, so no amount of thought can address them.
    Yes I get like this. Where its like my thoughts and my feelings are separate. Like I can tell myself ‘things are fine’ but... its almost offensive when I get low enough. It feels like lies because I feel... just beyond awful.

    The most I can do when Im low anymore is to tell myself it WILL eventually end- NOT convince myself that everything is ok. Because the feeling of it NOT being ok is too severe- too grounded in me- for that to really help much.

    Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post
    I'm actually one of those weirdos who's a lot more prone to the mania/mixed side of things (really prone to mixed actually... moreso than either of the others)... can't decide whether i hate to be up or down more actually... both are perfectly horrible in their own way

    I can get the feeling of depression though... like sinking slowly in a way... just slipping down with nothing to even get a grip on in any way... I genuinely want to die even though I know intellectually that everything is actually fine and that there are things to look forward to, I just can't shake the desire to kill myself because the feeling is so... there

    guess I can't really put it in words, but my rational side runs up against things it can't understand or budge... so yes, I kind of get the article
    Yeah. Yeah. Its like the lowest you can feel- all the time. From the second you wake up until the second you go to bed. And it pervades every aspect of you. Makes it feel like you are kinda almost drowning in yourself . And you just want it to end- because its all the time- and so you start thinking about things like suicide. Because it couldnt be WORSE. Its at least somethng different. Some sort of escape from it all.

    Even though you know you want to live... you also know that you dont want to live the way you are. And so its hard. Its like... do you hope things will change... that you DONT have to kill yourself for that to happen... or... well. Its hard waiting when every second feels like agony. Hope is such an...well. Its a complicated thing.

    I dunno. I get it. Its hard. And it sucks when it happens. And it sucks to know itll probably happen again. But- well- what can you do but the best you can I suppose. The best you can to enjoy the moments when you DONT feel that way I guess. And bear through the ones you do.

    But its so so tiring sometimes

  10. #10

    Default

    This seems right to me. It was worse when I was younger. A lot of my issues started at 10 years old or so and the onset of puberty just made me highly volatile. It was difficult to find a balanced emotional state. A calmness.

    I suppose perhaps my tendency to get angry was my ‘up’ phase? It was really terrible when I was a teen. I never hurt anyone physically (well a couple of fights). I’d say awful things though. The kind of personal things you can cut someone with deeply. Or I’d utterly destroy something. Usually something of mine but I’d decimate whatever it was. I’m so glad that level of impulsivity dropped off. I also learned to discipline myself and refrain from saying those things you can’t retract that destroy friendships. The momentary pleasure of lashing out is gone in an instant and you’re left with a chasm of regret and a destroyed relationship.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. "There is nothing to gain from my Inferior Function"
    By VagrantFarce in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
  2. Ivy/Mac/Edahn/Geoff: Which madmin's harder to type?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 03:34 AM
  3. Brain Activity Differs For Creative And Noncreative Thinkers (Is this related to S/N)
    By darlets in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO