• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How have you become more aware of your positive characteristics?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It is easy, easier a lot of people would say to focus and recognize your faults/weaknesses. How have you and how are you doing in recognizing/growing in self-knowledge about the positive qualities/talents you possess?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Through hardships, struggles, and challenges. There's nowhere quite like rock bottom to force you to look up and see the positive in yourself. Overcoming a variety of shitty situations, again and again, you tend to see a pattern. And that pattern is - hey I must not be a useless fuckup because I'm obviously able to handle all this crap! :D

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Through hardships, struggles, and challenges. There's nowhere quite like rock bottom to force you to look up and see the positive in yourself. Overcoming a variety of shitty situations, again and again, you tend to see a pattern. And that pattern is - hey I must not be a useless fuckup because I'm obviously able to handle all this crap! :D

I am glad to hear that all of your adversity is making you a stronger and better person.It is kind of interesting that when a lot of people have these shitty situations they may end up blaming themselves or question themselves, but you saw the positive or at least the pain associated with these experiences pushed you into this direction.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
By setting my eye on a few of them, and a few I need to work on- and then putting my all into them. Growing as a person.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Through strenuous pressure, the finest diamonds are mined.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Really, just by ditching the toxic and negative people in my life.
I think we've all known a few of them; out of their own feelings of insecurity they never compliment others and will put you down when you are feeling good about yourself.
They turn the positives you see into negatives. Sadly, I have known more than few but I've gotten rid of them all.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
By setting my eye on a few of them, and a few I need to work on- and then putting my all into them. Growing as a person.

I think that is a sound strategy. Has that plan helped you become more aware of the positive aspects of yourself? What is the array of changes to your internal world by doing that?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Through strenuous pressure, the finest diamonds are mined.

Adversity makes for great growth. So, through these pressures did it help you to become more aware of any particular strengths or are you referring to pressure from, like your workplace, that you had to use specific skills to succeed? Thanks again for the reply.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Really, just by ditching the toxic and negative people in my life.
I think we've all known a few of them; out of their own feelings of insecurity they never compliment others and will put you down when you are feeling good about yourself.
They turn the positives you see into negatives. Sadly, I have known more than few but I've gotten rid of them all.

Thanks for the reply, so how quickly did your self-perceptions start to change? Did it lead you to finally claiming some strengths that you questioned before? Have you replaced those toxic people with supportive people?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Thanks for the reply, so how quickly did your self-perceptions start to change? Did it lead you to finally claiming some strengths that you questioned before? Have you replaced those toxic people with supportive people?

Fortunately, I am pretty stubborn and they were never able to truly convince me otherwise. Once I did start to doubt myself I recognized what was happening and that was when I cut them off-cold turkey. They sent me an E-mail telling
( not asking) me to meet them at some point in time. I just didn't respond-ever. The next time the worst offender tried to contact me I told him that I never wanted to hear from him again. I never thought I'd be able to do it ( because it meant cutting off my best friend as well) but once I reached a certain point, I didn't even have to think about it. It was so easy. I think we all have that point.

Gradually, yes. Shortly after, I made new friends whom I eventually realized were only slightly better. I kept seeing them because I really liked one of their roommates who is now my husband. Now neither one of us see them much at all. Last year we made new friends who are great people, a lot of fun and very supportive.

rav3n

It's less about perceiving in black and white terms of positive and negative, and more about self-awareness and acceptance. There are things that I'm competent at and others that I'm not.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had to undertake the journey myself to find out what I am like deep inside and whats good about me but I will say some very good friends helped me on that journey. After all a journey with buddies tends to be far more fun plus having extra pairs of eyes tends to help a lot with a journey :D.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's definitely been a challenge and I have a long way to go, but the best thing I've done is surrounding myself with more positive people who are able to see any potentially positive characteristics I have. As well as distancing myself from those who have nothing but negativity regarding me.