• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Damaged and the Damaging

Mole

Permabanned
By and large the damaged are damaging. It is though safe to express our personal damage in therapy. However mbti is not therapy and the expression of personal damage is damaging, particularly to the vulnerable.

As well the damaged are not able to sue for damages.

Mole

Permabanned
This is called trivialisation and is psychologically damaging.
Trivialisation is usused against those in touch with their inner life and are seeking to express it.Trivialisation is an act of emotional cruelty.

Mole

Permabanned
Thosr damaged by the Catholic Church are unable to sue for damages because the Church has hived off its finances to a non accountable external body.

Cults, like mbti, and religions, protect their property and income by making it impossible to sue for damages.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why do you derail your own threads, Mole? You always have interesting thread titles and sometimes your OPs are thought provoking, but then you start talking about the Catholic Church with zero prompting from anyone. I can only conclude that you're trolling our MBTI forum with advanced confusion tactics (which is why I move these to Graveyard), but as your biggest fan, I can't help but feel like you are serious.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why has a thread mods think is serious been moved to the graveyard? Also, why is talking about the Catholic church considered derailment? The OP was about damages in general. The Catholic church is an example and extrapolation of the OP. Mole gets a lot of shit on this forum from everyone.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why has a thread mods think is serious been moved to the graveyard? Also, why is talking about the Catholic church considered derailment? The OP was about damages in general. The Catholic church is an example and extrapolation of the OP. Mole gets a lot of shit on this forum from everyone.

You say "mods" as though I wasn't the one who moved it while asking in the post above yours if this is a serious thread. Mole could always just respond to me and say "This is serious" and I'll move it back.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You say "mods" as though I wasn't the one who moved it while asking in the post above yours if this is a serious thread. Mole could always just respond to me and say "This is serious" and I'll move it back.

Oh, my bad. I was under the impression all the mods had a consensus based decision making process. That's nice of you to ask in retrospect, though you also could've asked before moving it. Haha. :p

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh, my bad. I was under the impression all the mods had a consensus based decision making process. That's nice of you to ask in retrospect, though you also could've asked before moving it. Haha. :p

No problem. Major decisions like bans or issuing infractions require consensus, but simple nonpunitive actions like moving a thread doesn't necessitate for one.

Mole

Permabanned
I claim protection.

Why do you derail your own threads, Mole? You always have interesting thread titles and sometimes your OPs are thought provoking, but then you start talking about the Catholic Church with zero prompting from anyone. I can only conclude that you're trolling our MBTI forum with advanced confusion tactics (which is why I move these to Graveyard), but as your biggest fan, I can't help but feel like you are serious.

I have made on to 19,000 posts. I have noticed when they don't like what I say that use all kinds of tricks: from personal insults, to accusations of derailing, to hacking my account, to having me permanently banned, and accusing me of offending political correctness, and the favourite of putting me in the graveyard and symbolically putting me in my grave.

I believe in and practise free speech, I also believe in and practise civil speech. It also happens I am a catholic and have attended the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse. I am an ideal person to write about the Catholic Church, I am informed and balanced.

My opponents have shown themselves over 19,000 posts to be malicious, who prefer to get rid of people rather than engaging civilly with them.

Accordingly I claim the rightful protection of the moderators.

- Mole.

@Merced

Tater

[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] Mole has been railing against the Catholic Church since the year he joined: Power and Pedophilia in the Catholic Church

His criticisms may look unusual in this thread, but given his pattern, they are not an aberration. They come as no surprise to me. I don't think they're off-topic in this thread, either. I see them as a subset of the broad topic he laid out in his OP.

Mole

Permabanned
Our site is about personality and child rearing helps form personality. And child sexual abuse helps damage personality.

We now know thousands of Australian children were sexually abused, primarily by the Catholic Church, and others, and then covered up.

The cover up continues in order to protect substantial property and income from claims for substantial damages in our Courts.

Mole

Permabanned
Historically psychology has been about those with damaged psyches. But many in the New World like happy endings, so prefer the psychotic fantasies of Jung to the reason of Freud.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm a bit perplexed why you continue to post here when you seem to have little love for typology, believing it to be a cult, however I think you have every right to post here as long as it's within the forum guidelines. My main criticism is that a lot of your threads cover the same topic(s), why not create your own blog or ongoing rant thread to post in, instead of starting a new thread every time you feel like talking about your pet topics.
It's a question of morality. Cults are a morality free zone, so think of me as Jimminy Cricket piping up for morality where it is not wanted.

And it is true it does cause cognitive dissonance. But all it takes is one voice, and here it is: the voice of Jimminy Cricket.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
The irony in this is that while I save suffered things that would have destroyed most other children, the only part that has been truly damaging ( ie had any far-reaching effect) is that trying to openly discuss any said damage is treated like an unforgivable slight, leading of course to more damage.

I imagine that by my fifties or so I'll be nothing but a pile of shards held together by toxic adhesive that to which no one will pay any mind until they step on me then be pissed that I ruined their shoes. I'll just be glad that someone noticed.

Lark

The irony in this is that while I save suffered things that would have destroyed most other children, the only part that has been truly damaging ( ie had any far-reaching effect) is that trying to openly discuss any said damage is treated like an unforgivable slight, leading of course to more damage.

I imagine that by my fifties or so I'll be nothing but a pile of shards held together by toxic adhesive that to which no one will pay any mind until they step on me then be pissed that I ruined their shoes. I'll just be glad that someone noticed.

That's a pretty grim picture, I hope it doesnt play out like that.

Its interesting what you say, sometimes I think therapy culture does create norms or expectations of openness about personal experience which is greater than usual, on the other hand I also know what you mean about the reaction to reports of the troubling, sometimes I think that's a reaction to the horribleness of what's heard and most people prefer to believe that life is not like that which of course often works in favour of predators or abusers of all sorts, though I have read some people who think its a reaction to the possible casualisation of experience, especially experience with traumatic impact.

I've only encountered one person, a professional actually, who sought encouraged someone to actively repress and do not mention some traumatic experience. That was interesting, although I think that they believed they were acting in good faith. It doesnt surprise me since even Freud was accused of covering up the widespread nature of child abuse or incest among his patients because he was just incredulous about it himself, believing that it all had to be fantasy, rather than the greater part or simply just a part of it.

I can see how the idea of "damaged and damaging" could be a exploitable rationalisation, by both abusers, others who avoidant of any mention "damaging personal histories" or machavellian types.

I've witnessed in the UK the rise of hugely conflicting attitudes towards those experiencing or who have experienced trauma, on the one hand they can be valourised, for instance if they are fire fighters or first responders, but simultaneously plans are begun to "retire" the same individuals as "damaged and potentially damaging". That sort of thing spawns its own culture, manipulative individuals who will ask or expect of others things they will never do themselves, in fact the mere suggestion of the same will provoke a sneer or smile at who is saying its naivete or innocence (I've even seen the term innocence trend as a form of abuse among some sections of the community, now those really are the damaging sections of the population).

That said I also dont see why it should be something that you have as a sole focus and never talk of anything else either, to me that seems an equally unusual, odd sort of thing which is highly noticeable in a few posters on the forum, like what Floki said about Mole, but then that's just an observation, I kind of got off track there, all I wanted to say was that I hope things dont play out as grim as you mentioned there.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
That's a pretty grim picture, I hope it doesnt play out like that.

Its interesting what you say, sometimes I think therapy culture does create norms or expectations of openness about personal experience which is greater than usual, on the other hand I also know what you mean about the reaction to reports of the troubling, sometimes I think that's a reaction to the horribleness of what's heard and most people prefer to believe that life is not like that which of course often works in favour of predators or abusers of all sorts, though I have read some people who think its a reaction to the possible casualisation of experience, especially experience with traumatic impact.

I've only encountered one person, a professional actually, who sought encouraged someone to actively repress and do not mention some traumatic experience. That was interesting, although I think that they believed they were acting in good faith. It doesnt surprise me since even Freud was accused of covering up the widespread nature of child abuse or incest among his patients because he was just incredulous about it himself, believing that it all had to be fantasy, rather than the greater part or simply just a part of it.

I can see how the idea of "damaged and damaging" could be a exploitable rationalisation, by both abusers, others who avoidant of any mention "damaging personal histories" or machavellian types.

I've witnessed in the UK the rise of hugely conflicting attitudes towards those experiencing or who have experienced trauma, on the one hand they can be valourised, for instance if they are fire fighters or first responders, but simultaneously plans are begun to "retire" the same individuals as "damaged and potentially damaging". That sort of thing spawns its own culture, manipulative individuals who will ask or expect of others things they will never do themselves, in fact the mere suggestion of the same will provoke a sneer or smile at who is saying its naivete or innocence (I've even seen the term innocence trend as a form of abuse among some sections of the community, now those really are the damaging sections of the population).

That said I also dont see why it should be something that you have as a sole focus and never talk of anything else either, to me that seems an equally unusual, odd sort of thing which is highly noticeable in a few posters on the forum, like what Floki said about Mole, but then that's just an observation, I kind of got off track there, all I wanted to say was that I hope things dont play out as grim as you mentioned there.

I guess I do talk about it a lot. You could say that is my white whale. I spent so much of my life fighting against these problems that I became them.

Ironically, the issues themselves have never gotten me down. I was always a strong person in that aspect. Believe it ir not, no one ever knew about any of them. I kept it all to myself.
It only became an issue when I saw how other people, other kids with my very same problems were treated, constantly being called “ brave” and given every accomidation they needed. ( like the FB effect, you think your life is great until you see what others have) They had support groups, they were encouraged to talk. As dramatic as it sounds I don’t know what that kind of support is like.

What I’m trying to say is that I do not talk about these things for the sake of discussing the issues themselves
-they aren’t even “ issues” really. They did not cause trauma or ptsd or anything of the kind. I certainly do not disscuss them fir any want of sympathy.
It’s more of an eternal quest to understand why people react the way they do. It’s something that has elluded me since I was very small.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time. I greatly appreciate it. You made some very insightful points and I woukd love to be able to explore these ideas without bothering ither people but I'm not sure how do that as it is a psychological medium.

Lark

I guess I do talk about it a lot. You could say that is my white whale. I spent so much of my life fighting against these problems that I became them.

Ironically, the issues themselves have never gotten me down. I was always a strong person in that aspect. Believe it ir not, no one ever knew about any of them. I kept it all to myself.
It only became an issue when I saw how other people, other kids with my very same problems were treated, constantly being called “ brave” and given every accomidation they needed. ( like the FB effect, you think your life is great until you see what others have) They had support groups, they were encouraged to talk. As dramatic as it sounds I don’t know what that kind of support is like.

What I’m trying to say is that I do not talk about these things for the sake of discussing the issues themselves
-they aren’t even “ issues” really. They did not cause trauma or ptsd or anything of the kind. I certainly do not disscuss them fir any want of sympathy.
It’s more of an eternal quest to understand why people react the way they do. It’s something that has elluded me since I was very small.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time. I greatly appreciate it. You made some very insightful points and I woukd love to be able to explore these ideas without bothering ither people but I'm not sure how do that as it is a psychological medium.

I hope you find the support you're looking for, sometimes its good to talk, I'd balance that against the reality that there's no necessity to if you dont want to. I've read as good things about expressive writing as opening up and there is such a thing as spontaneous remission of illness, so why not the same for traumas, or maybe you've just been resilient and anti-fragile, I dont understand those concepts or ideas completely myself.

Therapy and support groups can be a double edged sword, just this week I bought a book by an author who thinks its just about cultivating vulnerability in uncertain times and should be discouraged, interesting, like I say, I dont know, I've seen a counsellor from time to time and I dont know its the answer, plus, knowing and recognising how vital and good personal and professional support group is does not make one simply appear or manifest itself either. I think its why people turn to online forums part of the time, something they hope for or something which is available which is not available offline.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I hope you find the support you're looking for, sometimes its good to talk, I'd balance that against the reality that there's no necessity to if you dont want to. I've read as good things about expressive writing as opening up and there is such a thing as spontaneous remission of illness, so why not the same for traumas, or maybe you've just been resilient and anti-fragile, I dont understand those concepts or ideas completely myself.

Therapy and support groups can be a double edged sword, just this week I bought a book by an author who thinks its just about cultivating vulnerability in uncertain times and should be discouraged, interesting, like I say, I dont know, I've seen a counsellor from time to time and I dont know its the answer, plus, knowing and recognising how vital and good personal and professional support group is does not make one simply appear or manifest itself either. I think its why people turn to online forums part of the time, something they hope for or something which is available which is not available offline.

You know, I think you’ve really hit the nail on the head here, with bith points. I can say for sure that was group therapy that messed me up. I thought my life was completely normal until I was put into group therapy at highschool.

The problem was that it was a bad fit. I was dealing with terminal illness and abusive parents while the rest were just suffering from basic teen angst. “ My parents don’t understand.” “ My boyfriend broke up with me for the third time this month.”
I couldn’t relate to any of them.

Your other point, about encouraging people to be expressive-when they just aren’t- has also had a large impact. I always considered myself to be resiliant and detested vulnerability. Even as a little kid I was stoic and self-disciplined but as I got older I couldn’t deny there were some aspects with which I did need help but, I think, that stoic attitude kind of screwed me. I don’t know how to appeal to vulnerability, emotion or sympathies but watching others with disabilities it really seemed like that was what you had to do to get people to believe you. Add to this a very emotional family ( they told me I wasn’t okay. That I was obviously traumatized and needed to talk about it, which was just not true) and well, really, it all boils down to trying to be someone I’m not; I don’t like group therapy, I don’t write poetry, I do not wonder “ Why me?” I am not a victim.
I think that things are what they are and we do the best we can.

I hope I did not make things too personal. I know that niether you nor this forum is my therapist and I did not intend to jack Mole’s thread ( but, he has enough that he can spare a few, I think) I actually feel better than I have years. Thank you.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
You know, I think you’ve really hit the nail on the head here, with bith points. I can say for sure that was group therapy that messed me up. I thought my life was completely normal until I was put into group therapy at highschool.

The problem was that it was a bad fit. I was dealing with terminal illness and abusive parents while the rest were just suffering from basic teen angst. “ My parents don’t understand.” “ My boyfriend broke up with me for the third time this month.”
I couldn’t relate to any of them.

Your other point, about encouraging people to be expressive-when they just aren’t- has also had a large impact. I always considered myself to be resiliant and detested vulnerability. Even as a little kid I was stoic and self-disciplined but as I got older I couldn’t deny there were some aspects with which I did need help but, I think, that stoic attitude kind of screwed me. I don’t know how to appeal to vulnerability, emotion or sympathies but watching others with disabilities it really seemed like that was what you had to do to get people to believe you. Add to this a very emotional family ( they told me I wasn’t okay. That I was obviously traumatized and needed to talk about it, which was just not true) and well, really, it all boils down to trying to be someone I’m not; I don’t like group therapy, I don’t write poetry, I do not wonder “ Why me?” I am not a victim.
I think that things are what they are and we do the best we can.

I hope I did not make things too personal. I know that niether you nor this forum is my therapist and I did not intend to jack Mole’s thread ( but, he has enough that he can spare a few, I think) I actually feel better than I have years. Thank you.

This was similar to my experience with group therapy. I went to a meditation based one for about a year. I was by far the least healthy person there and I knew it and it frustrated the heck out of me. And the group just wasnt a good fit for me at all. Everyone else was there becauss they got neevous around exams or they didnt like public speaking or... that sort of thing... where like sitting and meditating and calming down for a minute... was actually possible for them. For me, I was so out of it, it was just incredibly discouraging. It was like- I felt like I was constantly failing. Like I just wasnt trying hard enough. Everyone elses problems were so easy to fix. So normal. While I felt like an absolute freak when I thought of mine. I was the worst one there by far, and I was beyond the level of help that group could provide. It was just a bad fit.

I wouldnt be opposed to doing group again... if I could find a good fit. But well, I understand the frustration of it. Not that this forum should be like- a replacement for finding a good group, it shouldnt, but I can understand the frustration with group therapy. I THINK it can be good to talk to people going through similar things. Group CAN be good. But also, Ive been looking at online blogs and groups and websites and stuff- ones that are specifically for that sort of thing- and those can be good I think too.

I think there are alrernatives to group. You dont have to be a victim to get help, sometimes gettin help STOPS you from being a victim. But yeah, I can get like... I can kind of understand in some ways