User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

I'm too sad for pants. Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Nonverbal communication (starting around :56) :

Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

INFJ 5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari -or- disagree with my type?
    Likes rav3n, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Someone trying green tea latte for the first time? I don't get it.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Nonverbal communication (starting around :56) :

lol, not just at 0:56. It's all over the clip!
    Likes Tater liked this post

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Someone trying green tea latte for the first time? I don't get it.
    He doesn't actually say anything after trying the latte (which he didn't want, but more or less communicated in a nonverbal way that he'd give it a try because it's better than nothing), but it's relatively clear he's thinking something like, "okay wait.....okay yeah, actually this is.....this tastes really good." It isn't even just that he likes it, there's a feeling of surprise over how much he likes it. He's not saying those words, and yet more people than not who can see him would realize something of this sort was going through his head.

Likes cascadeco, chickpea liked this post

He doesn't actually say anything after trying the latte (which he didn't want, but more or less communicated in a nonverbal way that he'd give it a try because it's better than nothing), but it's relatively clear he's thinking something like, "okay wait.....okay yeah, actually this is.....this tastes really good." It isn't even just that he likes it, there's a feeling of surprise over how much he likes it. He's not saying those words, and yet more people than not who can see him would realize something of this sort was going through his head.
    Phil's also evidencing body language, that of being discreetly happy and somewhat 'I told you so'.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

He actually says "I'll try it", so that much is obvious, but how in Hades do you gather the rest from the visuals? I certainly wouldn't want anything important riding on any assumption I would make in such a situation.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    He actually says "I'll try it", so that much is obvious, but how in Hades do you gather the rest from the visuals? I certainly wouldn't want anything important riding on any assumption I would make in such a situation.
    He has an impish smile, his eyes twinkle, he looks like a little kid having candy and being pleased about it. So it is easy to know he really likes it and hadn't been expecting to. And he continues drinking it with the little impish twinkle and smile.

Edit:Re nonverbal communication in general, I find it extremely important and go off of those cues a lot, and it hasn't really failed me that I can think of? You can tell when people are impatient or put out, or getting anxious or worried, and so on. Of course you have to factor individual differences and personalities as well, as specific expressions may differ slightly from one person to the next. But people generally share the same or similar facial tics, eye movements, etc, for different underlying emotions. Some people may hide all of this well so little shows, some are intentionally totally open books, and everything in between.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Phil's also evidencing body language, that of being discreetly happy and somewhat 'I told you so'.
    I agree, mostly. It's clear part of his job (whether in official capacity or not) is keeping people happy, and the little eyebrow twitch and nod were a kind of brief acknowledgement that belied a little bit of "I told you so."

And I do think there's a bunch of nonverbal communication in general going on in that clip. But most of it is the kind that could be misconstrued. Like Phil's eyebrow twitch and brief nod could be more about him being preoccupied with personal problems or something.

What I liked about this clip as an example though (the part that starts at :56) is that the guy's reaction to the latte is a very clear and pronounced example of nonverbal communication. I want to say that most people will see the internal dialogue I described when watching him, and I feel confident saying "most" would be accurate, but to be on the safe side I said "more people than not." But it's very clear. I mean no offense to @Coriolis when I say this: I think discussing it further with anyone who sees it as an irrational leap would be akin to pursuing an argument about the existence of "red" with someone who is colorblind.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone here outside of INTJs (no offense, INTJs) thinks my impression of that guy's reaction is any kind of irrational leap.

I agree, mostly. It's clear part of his job (whether in official capacity or not) is keeping people happy, and the little eyebrow twitch and nod were a kind of brief acknowledgement that belied a little bit of "I told you so."

And I do think there's a bunch of nonverbal communication in general going on in that clip. But most of it is the kind that could be misconstrued. Like Phil's eyebrow twitch and brief nod could be more about him being preoccupied with personal problems or something.
    But Phil was looking at the larger man when he did that, albeit with a flickering submissive gaze and head tilt. Also, the slight smile at the very end. It's like putting an excerpt into context, that creates the non-verbal dialogue.

What I liked about this clip as an example though (the part that starts at :56) is that the guy's reaction to the latte is a very clear and pronounced example of nonverbal communication. I want to say that most people will see the internal dialogue I described when watching him, and I feel confident saying "most" would be accurate, but to be on the safe side I said "more people than not." But it's very clear. I mean no offense to Coriolis when I say this: I think discussing it further with anyone who sees it as an irrational leap would be akin to pursuing an argument about the existence of "red" with someone who is colorblind.
    Agreed.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone here outside of INTJs (no offense, INTJs) thinks my impression of that guy's reaction is any kind of irrational leap.
    Well, I'm an eNTJ so you have an opinion of one non-INTJ, lol.

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Lawyer :"That accusation has no basis."

Cal Lightman :"What do you mean? He just told me."

Coriolis :"Did I miss something? The prisoner was silent all the time. I can't unders-tatat-- """"404 CANNOT COMPUTE ....