User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 167

  1. #151
    Phase-shifted beam Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    27,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    It's your choice to believe a lie. :shrugs:
    It certainly is. How I act is my choice, too, and a separate one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    This is a problem when the person is lying about somebody else, or doing sneaky, manipulative things that affect other people and lying about it to the third, neutral party.
    That it is. Unless I have credible evidence as to what the truth is, however, assumptions on my part are as likely to make matters worse as to help.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

  2. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That it is. Unless I have credible evidence as to what the truth is, however, assumptions on my part are as likely to make matters worse as to help.
    By believing the lies that the person or people were telling you, accepting them at face value, you would be making assumptions. That's an assumption--the assumption that they're telling the truth.

  3. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It certainly is. How I act is my choice, too, and a separate one.
    As it is my choice to behave as I wish. I'm not the one with the narrow focus. My perspective is one of diversity.

    People who aren't good at reading body language, shouldn't rely on their body language reading, such as yourself. Verification is a good idea. That said, verification doesn't equate to accuracy since people lie all the time.

    Myself, I do okay and according to the two different tests, am very good so I will rely on this strength even though it's not bullet proof. But my life experiences have proven to me that it's been a good strategy for me since I don't get fooled very often, particularly by car salesmen. Perhaps I can introduce you my friend who owns a luxury car dealership. I'm sure his best salesman can help you.

  4. #154
    Phase-shifted beam Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    27,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    By believing the lies that the person or people were telling you, accepting them at face value, you would be making assumptions. That's an assumption--the assumption that they're telling the truth.
    I don't have to accept what someone is saying as truth in order to understand it is the placeholder I need to work with in order to make progress, progress that often includes uncovering the truth. This is much like calling a bluff.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

  5. #155
    Phase-shifted beam Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    27,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    As it is my choice to behave as I wish. I'm not the one with the narrow focus. My perspective is one of diversity.

    People who aren't good at reading body language, shouldn't rely on their body language reading, such as yourself. Verification is a good idea. That said, verification doesn't equate to accuracy since people lie all the time.

    Myself, I do okay and according to the two different tests, am very good so I will rely on this strength even though it's not bullet proof. But my life experiences have proven to me that it's been a good strategy for me since I don't get fooled very often, particularly by car salesmen. Perhaps I can introduce you my friend who owns a luxury car dealership. I'm sure his best salesman can help you.
    There is more than one way to avoid being fooled by the likes of salesmen. You can beat them at their own game, or as I prefer, refuse to play. I do my homework, set my terms, and walk if they are not met. Does wonders to cut through sales BS. Worked for 4 cars now and counting.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes Metis liked this post

  6. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    There is more than one way to avoid being fooled by the likes of salesmen. You can beat them at their own game, or as I prefer, refuse to play. I do my homework, set my terms, and walk if they are not met. Does wonders to cut through sales BS. Worked for 4 cars now and counting.
    I love this advice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I don't have to accept what someone is saying as truth in order to understand it is the placeholder I need to work with in order to make progress, progress that often includes uncovering the truth. This is much like calling a bluff.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here, though. How do you go about that--using what the person said as a placeholder and using it to find out the truth?

  7. #157
    cute lil war dog Bush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    5,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here, though. How do you go about that--using what the person said as a placeholder and using it to find out the truth?
    Can't speak for her, but I could see how you can use what they say at face value as an 'anchor.' A starting point. That is, assume that they're telling the truth, at face value, until you gather enough evidence and/or reasoning and/or feeling-instinct -- each of those to the extent you're 'capable' and give the most weight -- to convince yourself otherwise.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Tilt liked this post

  8. #158
    Haunted Echoes Red Memories's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    215 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,039

    Default

    I think body language and verbal language can be a 50/50 thing.

    But I also think a lot of time verbal and body language speak at the same time. If someone slaps you and says shut up you should probably shut the hell up you know. XD

    But in general people's bodies DO speak and I think you can see certain things by analyzing how their body responds. So I think it is important. Many things go unspoken.


    After all,
    How can you run from what is inside of you?

  9. #159
    Phase-shifted beam Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    27,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here, though. How do you go about that--using what the person said as a placeholder and using it to find out the truth?
    You act as if it were true, even though you know or at least suspect it is not.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

  10. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Hmmm... Interesting. I have purposely misled people by using body language to help confirm their biases... and I don't have to say a thing. And these are people who swear up and down that they are skilled at reading body language.

Similar Threads

  1. how easy is it to change Type?
    By niki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
  2. How hard is it to impress you ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO