User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 167

  1. #101
    Poking the poodle Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Your hatred for business shouldn't influence your perception of the body language quiz. Analogous, considering a math test invalid because the examples given were business examples.
    You seem really defensive over this quiz. Did you make it?

    Any quiz on the internet is going to have its problems, thats why pretty much anything that someone is going to want to test you on in any serious way either, costs money, is a million questions, or something you have to do in person. A 10 question quiz that I could go and find 10 more of in less than 10 minutes... just isnt likely to be without fault. Not exacty comprehensive

    Its ok if your quiz has issues. Its really not the end of the world

  2. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Hatred may or may not be an influence, and just because it shouldn't, doesn't mean that it won't. Dislike of something often does absolutely effect someones ability and skill at something. Emotions and opinions are powerful things. It also comes down to experience and exposure. Someone who doesn't want any part of business and has no experience is less likely to know these things. They haven't likely thought about them much, and aren't going to be perfect at it either.
    But the questions swirled around body language and interpretation of such.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    You seem really defensive over this quiz. Did you make it?

    Any quiz on the internet is going to have its problems, thats why pretty much anything that someone is going to want to test you on in any serious way either, costs money, is a million questions, or something you have to do in person. A 10 question quiz that I could go and find 10 more of in less than 10 minutes... just isnt likely to be without fault. Not exacty comprehensive

    Its ok if your quiz has issues. Its really not the end of the world
    Wat? No. I'm not defensive of it. I find people's reasoning for hating on it, irrational.

  3. #103
    Poking the poodle Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    But the questions swirled around body language and interpretation of such.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wat? No. I'm not defensive of it. I find people's reasoning for hating on it, irrational.
    Well maybe Im miseading the situation- joke- but you definetly seem defensive.

    People are criticizing it fairly impersonally. I usually wouldnt say anything about it but... otherwise I feel like this is going to be like another 10 pages of someone commenting about some quality of your quiz and then you demanding they ‘prove’ an opinion that they have.

    Anyways. Like I said, I normally wouldnt say anythjng, but considering no one else had yet, I figured I just would as my parting ‘gift’ to this thread.

    Disclaimer: I claimed to be decent at reading people- not situations. There is a difference. Im too tired to explain, but there is a difference. Anyways. I might be causing more trouble than Im worth- the not being wonderful at reading ‘situations’ so- thats why Im out. No personal offense meant to anyone

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Well maybe Im miseading the situation- joke- but you definetly seem defensive.

    People are criticizing it fairly impersonally. I usually wouldnt say anything about it but... otherwise I feel like this is going to be like another 10 pages of someone commenting about some quality of your quiz and then you demanding they ‘prove’ an opinion that they have.

    Anyways. Like I said, I normally wouldnt say anythjng, but considering no one else had yet, I figured I just would as my parting ‘gift’ to this thread.
    This is my MO, looking for logical reasons.

  5. #105
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    nonverbal communication is neither important or relevant...



    i will cede that it displays a lesser amount of intentionally conveyed information... however, i find that i am sometimes forced to adopt elcor tactics to explain myself online...



    so i sort of agree with the o.p. , though it appears to be dismissive...

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Check out this ten question test, relative to your ability to read/enact body language. My results were 10/10 first try.

    Are you fluent in body language? – quiz | Guardian Small Business Network | The Guardian
    You got… 10/10
    You are pretty shrewd at reading other people, and therefore probably good at ensuring your own body language is sending the right signals.

    Hey, I'm good at knowing which answers the test writer was looking for, and I didn't even need to observe the writer's body language.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    10/10, but honestly I find these sorts of questions too reductionist. For several of them I knew what the answer should be, but disagreed with it to some extent because it's too simplified. For example, if someone pulls a double handshake (and I do not have an established rapport with them) I will not trust the much and keep a distant and critical eye. It's frequently not genuniely used. There is so much more nuance.
    I agree that it's a lot more nuanced.

  7. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    You got… 10/10
    You are pretty shrewd at reading other people, and therefore probably good at ensuring your own body language is sending the right signals.

    Hey, I'm good at knowing which answers the test writer was looking for, and I didn't even need to observe the writer's body language.

    And yes, I agree that it's a lot more nuanced.
    I'll ask you the same question I asked Hard. How did you know what the test writer wanted from you?

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    I'll ask you the same question I asked Hard. How did you know what the test writer wanted from you?
    Some of it I've heard before, and some of it I guessed based on what I assumed the writer's attitude was.

    For example, on the first question, about the handshake: Personally, I lean more towards interpreting a "double handshake" as glad-handing, dominating, politicking, image-sculpting, and manipulative. Normally. On the other hand, if the person doing it is, for example, a small, soft-spoken woman who collects rabbits as a hobby (I'm using this as an example because I know this person), I'm more likely to interpret it as being one way that she tries to "connect" with people. I might feel a little smothered, and I might be concerned that I'll offend her somehow and run into some kind of quiet damnation from her, but I probably won't feel like that particular person is being a politician and trying to dominate while seeming likable, like I would in the first example I gave. It depends on how I read the other person's intentions and general character. It's based on experience. I don't know people who clasp my hand that way because of "trust", inasmuch as I've ever read it to be, but I knew that was the answer the quiz writer was going for. How did I know? Well, I really just assumed, and I assumed correctly. I thought that in the writer's eyes, the "dominance" answer would seem too "negative" or like too much of an assumption. I imagined that the writer would interpret the "dominance" answer as being a little paranoid or not being able to read intentions.

    That's a little bit of a circular explanation, since it keeps coming back around to what I assumed, and to what I thought the writer would assume about me, etc. Maybe it clarifies my reason to some extent, though.

    Some I'd already heard before, like the smiling & eye crinkles one and the "attempts to cover their mouth" one. I disagree with both of those, to some extent, though.

    1) Smiling: A smile isn't fake just because you did it on purpose. It might not look as nice as a whole-face smile, but I frequently smile deliberately, yet stiffly, in an effort to convey my sincere good intentions. I'm not naturally smiley. I really love it when people take my effort at face value and seem to recognize that I'm smiling in order to convey friendliness or good will.

    2) Covering your mouth and other parts of your face can mean that you feel shy, or that you're politely holding your tongue because you don't want to interrupt, or that you're bored or tired. You could make a case that some of those constitute "not telling the whole truth", but the implication is that this action conveys untrustworthiness, and in a real situation, there's more context, and it might (A) mean something else and/or (B) be read differently. It also might be read differently by different people, based on whether they can relate to that context or not, and how they relate. It also can be read differently by a single person, depending on mood and outlook at that time.

    Also, with the "might not be telling the whole truth" question, one of the options was "they make steady eye contact". I've actually heard that this is sometimes considered an indicator of lying. I didn't think it was the answer the quiz writer was looking for, though, because the face-touching one is standard advice. I've heard both, but I went with the one that was more likely to be on the author's mind.
    Likes N/A, Tilt liked this post

  9. #109
    Phase-shifted beam Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    27,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The quiz though is geared mostly towards "learned" things you could pick up on in a coursework on this sort of thing. I'm quite certain there are business firms that offer training seminars on this sorts of thing, and it would be backed at least in part by some research. If you follow that stuff too rigidly, it's liable to not be terribly helpful. Honestly, I think testing someone ability to understand non-verbal communication is dreadfully difficult. Too many variables, and you can't re-create all of the stuff that people come to rely on in the real world.
    I suspect this is why I was able to guess 6/10 correctly. They are things I have been trained to do in a professional environment, either explicitly or implicitly by watching how my "elders and betters" behave. Many of them also serve to maintain appropriate distance, keep distractions down, and follow established patterns of etiquette. I am no fan of most of this for its own sake, but prefer to break protocol only when I have good reason and will gain something by it - or at least not lose anything worthwhile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    so i sort of agree with the o.p. , though it appears to be dismissive...
    You are welcome to criticise this point of view. In fact, that is a main purpose of this thread.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

  10. #110
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are welcome to criticise this point of view. In fact, that is a main purpose of this thread.
    i am rarely critical without (percieved) cause... have i been injust in my limited criticism? if so, how?

Similar Threads

  1. how easy is it to change Type?
    By niki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
  2. How hard is it to impress you ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO