• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The midlife crisis

Lark

What do you think about the idea of mid life crisis, is it just a thing that happens, is it avoidable suffering, is it something which has to happen, breakdown to breakthrough sort of thing, and do you think that social systems experience something similar? Does the experience of the population, if the demographic shift is going that direction, influence the social system?

I'm thinking about the saying that I saw in a TV show lately, "The world's not ending, you're just middle aged"

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hmmm

I just skimmed trough the wiki article on it.

Well like article says: it could just be one evaluation of life and identity crisis. I personally think those happen to various people at different times in their life.

Probably has a lot to do with how introspective one is and if things paned out like one thought.

I also think that societies can go trough a identity crises. Come to think of it I reckon that has a lot to do what we see right now.
In the documentary "Four horsemen", they claim that the west is in a state of decadence and that people "feel" this and behave accordingly. They take the example that people chase cheap thrills like food and sex to really sqeece out the last remaining good before it is too late.
If society was to identify as being in good times for a long time, people would not do this.

Love to hear your thoughts on it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I love how mid life crisis only impact men and for women, there only exists steps to handle a man and his mid life crisis.

How to Identify a Male Midlife Crisis (For Women) (with Pictures)

I think the entire thing is an excuse to become a raging dickhead. It always has been. In reality this is someone needing professional help and it would be much more useful if people stopped labeling this some expected, male identity crisis and call it what it really is - a mental breakdown, fear of old age and death.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
What do you think about the idea of mid life crisis, is it just a thing that happens, is it avoidable suffering, is it something which has to happen, breakdown to breakthrough sort of thing, and do you think that social systems experience something similar? Does the experience of the population, if the demographic shift is going that direction, influence the social system? I'm thinking about the saying that I saw in a TV show lately, "The world's not ending, you're just middle aged"
Brene brown sums this up perfectly for me

I think midlife is when the universe gently places her hands upon your shoulders, pulls you close, and whispers in your ear:
I'm not screwing around. It's time. All of this pretending and performing, these coping mechanisms that you've developed to protect yourself from feeling inadequate and getting hurt has to go.
Your armor is preventing you from growing into your gifts. I understand that you needed these protections when you were small. I understand that you believed your armor could help you secure all of the things you needed to feel worthy of love and belonging, but you're still searching and you're more lost than ever.
Time is growing short. There are unexplored adventures ahead of you. You can't live the rest of your life worried about what other people think. You were born worthy of love and belonging. Courage and daring are coursing through you. You were made to live and love with your whole heart. It's time to show up and be seen.''

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
My dad had one but therapists have told me that yeah- its usually really only the catalyst for other issues to surface up and cause problems. Depression/andiety/other things coming up to cause problems.

But his was bad. Once he turned 50 it was like- it was hell. I think the fact that he had like a- something very specific- the AGE OF 50- to sort of shock out whatever was happening with him helped turn it into a perfect storm for what might be viewed as a ‘mid-life crisis’