User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned

I also have precognitive dreams occasionally, even though I'm not inclined to believe in such stuff. For a long time, I was convinced that deja vu is just an illusion, where the brain mixes feeling and impressions with images and experiences, and it probably is most of the time.

Thinking or dreaming about someone who calls you shortly after that could be explained in many ways. Fx, you both might be subconsciously reminded of a common experience by watching the same popular movie or the news.

But then I had some pretty weird dreams detailed enough for me to notice, remember and even describe to someone else. I tend to analyze my dreams so I thought it's some sort of leap of imagination in a weird direction. And then these happened irl to the last weird detail leaving me absolutely clueless.

Is there any theory out there to explain this phenomenon?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    648 sp/sx

I do, and the most significant one is one that showed why and how a friend's friend was going to betray them.

It all played out, even down to the details of what my friend was wearing the time it happened.

If it was only a vague idea of an event, I would have brushed it off. The human subconscious picks things we might not even be consciously aware of, after all.
    But the degree of detail that ended up playing out as is made that dream / event stick with me till now.
    ⸻ Guarda che lago che luna c'è
    Le stelle in cielo brillano per noi

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    649 so/sp

I think De ja Vu is largely caused by dreams.

I pray that my dreams never become prophetic, because I've seen some savage things of the apocalypse variety one too many times. The most terrifying was probable the sun exploding and realizing you had only a few minutes to live as the blinding flames got closer and filled the sky.

Fascinating subject. I ‘met’ my second girlfriend in a dream a couple of months before actually meeting her. We were already dating in the dream.

I don’t really have precognitive dreams. Well not with any great frequency. What I do get sometimes is a brief description of something that will occur in the future. Ex: Tim is going to get struck by a car. Two weeks later Tim gets struck by a car. I’ll tell myself x is going to occur with someone or something and it does. It doesn’t happen often and it’s not something I can consciously control but I’ll be damned if it isn’t 100% correct when it does.

My theory? I’m always on about the universe being one giant thing. It isn’t just a collection of separate objects existing in a shared space. We’re all connected in some fashion. Living creatures and inanimate objects, we’re all descendants of the Big Bang. Someday science will explain why sometimes we see or think about events that come to pass, why we know someone we care about is in trouble at a time when logically we don’t have any information that confirms that. Yet sure enough later you find a friend or loved one was in danger at that moment. I’m not saying I believe a bunch of kooky new age hippie crap. I’m saying the universe is a complex environment and not everything is tangible. However nothing is truly unexplainable if you understand how it functions. Sadly, I won’t be around when science does catch up with reality and explains the so-called unexplainable.

I definitely could’ve worded that better but I’m only on my first cup of coffee.
    Likes Lib, Dreamer liked this post

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    My theory? I’m always on about the universe being one giant thing. It isn’t just a collection of separate objects existing in a shared space. We’re all connected in some fashion. Living creatures and inanimate objects, we’re all descendants of the Big Bang. Someday science will explain why sometimes we see or think about events that come to pass, why we know someone we care about is in trouble at a time when logically we don’t have any information that confirms that. Yet sure enough later you find a friend or loved one was in danger at that moment. I’m not saying I believe a bunch of kooky new age hippie crap. I’m saying the universe is a complex environment and not everything is tangible. However nothing is truly unexplainable if you understand how it functions. Sadly, I won’t be around when science does catch up with reality and explains the so-called unexplainable.
    I'd like to be able to explain it, though. Some of my dreams have nothing to do with the people in my life, but they still happen and I have no idea why I need to know this in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    I'd like to be able to explain it, though. Some of my dreams have nothing to do with the people in my life, but they still happen and I have no idea why I need to know this in advance.
    I often wonder if those kinds of things are simply the subconscious inadvertently tapping into some kind of organic information superhighway of the universe. I hate having 98% of existence being a veiled mystery. Pounding my little brain against the unknown just leaves me tired and with a brain ache.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    649 so/sp

Anyone get them while awake?

I don't really think dreams are prophetic, but simply a collection of observances that may or maynot have the probability of happening. Prophetic dreams might just be coincidence. There isnt much evidence of it being some kind of spiritual or outside influence. If it is, I got many elaborate details of the apocalypse and the universe. Anyways, I've had moments where I swear to god something will happen, stop, and it happens. My stopping prevented it from affecting me. I guess you can call it keen intuition in the classic sense. There is no rhyme or reason for these sudden intense feelings, and it can happen at any time. It happens within seconds to minutes of an event. I once stopped my friend running a stop sign like he does frequently, but we never had any close calls. This time though, a car came speeding by and we avoided being t-boned.

Other times its with electronics. I can sometimes tell when a light will burn out, when I flip a switch. Or something will go wrong. Its this little tickle in the back of my mind like someone tapping me on the shoulder and I have a subconscious realization, as I glance back with my 3rd eye/othersense. But like in a dream, Im somehow aware of there being something beyond the shadows of my consciousness. Its a bit disturbing if you think about it. I want to believe in spiritual existances, as I find existance very depressing.
    Likes Lib liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Last night I dreamt that I was attacked by a hamster. We'll see...

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    I often wonder if those kinds of things are simply the subconscious inadvertently tapping into some kind of organic information superhighway of the universe. I hate having 98% of existence being a veiled mystery. Pounding my little brain against the unknown just leaves me tired and with a brain ache.
    Or may be our subconsciousness, as well as everything around us, is part of the information highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamimaru View Post
    Anyone get them while awake?

I don't really think dreams are prophetic, but simply a collection of observances that may or maynot have the probability of happening. Prophetic dreams might just be coincidence. There isnt much evidence of it being some kind of spiritual or outside influence. If it is, I got many elaborate details of the apocalypse and the universe. Anyways, I've had moments where I swear to god something will happen, stop, and it happens. My stopping prevented it from affecting me. I guess you can call it keen intuition in the classic sense. There is no rhyme or reason for these sudden intense feelings, and it can happen at any time. It happens within seconds to minutes of an event. I once stopped my friend running a stop sign like he does frequently, but we never had any close calls. This time though, a car came speeding by and we avoided being t-boned.

Other times its with electronics. I can sometimes tell when a light will burn out, when I flip a switch. Or something will go wrong. Its this little tickle in the back of my mind like someone tapping me on the shoulder and I have a subconscious realization, as I glance back with my 3rd eye/othersense. But like in a dream, Im somehow aware of there being something beyond the shadows of my consciousness. Its a bit disturbing if you think about it. I want to believe in spiritual existances, as I find existance very depressing.
    In my teenage years, I would open a book on any random page and read what's written there, and in the same day or the next, something unexpected happens and calls for using the exact same information. I got to win a lot of radio quizzes during the said time I tend to score highest result at almost any test too.

I agree with you that most of precognitive dreams could be related somehow to our experience and cognitive processes, but I had one dream in particular that there was no way I could ever come up with, yet, it happened. The scenario could be related to fairy tales, in a sense that it's very, very weird.

I don't believe in anything spiritual, though.
    Likes Population: 1, тень liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I've experienced one episode of precognition. I was tired from studying but not asleep. Just before the knowledge entered my mind, I became much more alert. The event came to pass several months later.

I think the theory is that there is a library in another dimension (the akashic records?) that humans can occasionally access if they're in a certain state of consciousness.
    Uncle Roger needs to stop picking on Jamie Oliver. I'm sure chili jam is delightful in egg fried rice.
    Likes Lib liked this post