User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are we all secretly what we hate?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 47.37%
  • No

    10 52.63%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    30,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think so, yes.

    Though it must be said, we aeren't always projecting hating the exact same qualities in others that we have, but something more archetypal. For example hating "bigots" is a form of hatred: people who hate "bigots" generally have some criteria of what constitutes a bigot. You hate bigots because they are hateful, though it is your own hate you hate, maybe you don't hate based on the same criteria, but hate is still there.

    In other words: we hate something substanstial in others we see in ourselves, not necessarily something specific. Which makes it harder to identify and which is why so many people don't see it.
    What you're talking about is the idea of the Jungian shadow and attributing it to an other, or if you use the short hand "othering".

    Its also called scapegoating, although that is a slightly different deal, only slightly.

    Its badly understood, even in some of its primary sources, so I dont throw it out there much, the same as Freud's idea about the thing you repress, suppress and deny being something you can consciously claim to hate but nonetheless remains unconsciously quite the contrary, its badly understood too, cited in the wrong ways and contexts too for particular purposes.

    Personally, I really dont like this thinking because it makes it impossible to take even a modestly critical position on anything, the minute you say you're not quite so sure about this or that and it sounds like a very bad idea, well, its obvious you're only saying that because the contrary is the case, you see? Its as insidious as the newspeak in big brother's 1984.
    Likes biohazard, Galena liked this post

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    6,215

    Default

    what we judge for is often what we do...sometimes it's born of insecurity, pride, envy, etc though.

    one clear example is the parent-child relationship in which the two can never get along bc they're just alike. I just think a lot of times we don't WANT to see that which we hate within ourselves. and sometimes we are just flat out blind. but often times throughout my growth, when something really gets on my nerves about someone, I later find I do it myself. once I change it, I have more understanding and patietnce with people and it stops bothering me as much. so yes I strongly believe there is something to this.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think so, yes.

    Though it must be said, we aeren't always projecting hating the exact same qualities in others that we have, but something more archetypal. For example hating "bigots" is a form of hatred: people who hate "bigots" generally have some criteria of what constitutes a bigot. You hate bigots because they are hateful, though it is your own hate you hate, maybe you don't hate based on the same criteria, but hate is still there.

    In other words: we hate something substanstial in others we see in ourselves, not necessarily something specific. Which makes it harder to identify and which is why so many people don't see it.
    Are you talking about projection?

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    30,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    Are you talking about projection?
    Is projection about the shadow though?

    Maybe it is, maybe its just the shadow that people project but I always thought projecting was a wider topic or idea.

    Was the whole "No, you" thing not a recognition of the idea in some way.

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Is projection about the shadow though?

    Maybe it is, maybe its just the shadow that people project but I always thought projecting was a wider topic or idea.

    Was the whole "No, you" thing not a recognition of the idea in some way.
    It can be. Jung motioned to having a "dark side" quite often and how these projections of our shadow can be outside the realm of consciousness. He seems to use the term fairly simultaneously.:

    Carl Jung stated the shadow to be the unknown dark side of the personality.[4][5] According to Jung, the shadow, in being instinctive and irrational, is prone to psychological projection, in which a perceived personal inferiority is recognised as a perceived moral deficiency in someone else. Jung writes that if these projections remain hidden, "The projection-making factor (the Shadow archetype) then has a free hand and can realize its object—if it has one—or bring about some other situation characteristic of its power. These projections insulate and harm individuals by acting as a constantly thickening veil of illusion between the ego and the real world.
    Likes Lark liked this post

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Well, I guess I do get annoyed when people are too passive, won't take a stand, and won't fight for what they believe. I guess I can be a bit of a "good girl" who keeps my mouth shut and doesn't stand up for what I think is right at times. I can be dismissive of hatred at times when I think it's intolerable. I can be indecisive and wishy-washy, I play devil's advocate a lot of flat out refuse to take a stand. There are times I should speak up when I don't.

    However, what I really can't stand is disrespectful people. I'm usually fairly respectful (which feeds into how I act). Maybe a bit too nice and respectful. But I can sometimes be caustic and completely disregard people who I have deemed to be irredeemable. Still, I think I have more respect for others than a lot of people do.

    It's an interesting thought.

  7. #17
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi
    Posts
    3,447

    Default

    I think this is something which is universally true. It's just one of those human things, and both because it's not always literal and because people can have a hard time acknowledging it, it's easy to deny due to lack of awareness. What you hate most about others is usually what you hate most about yourself, and that's what makes it worth hating in others. If you didn't hate it in yourself, you wouldn't hate it in others.
    Likes Xann liked this post

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi
    Posts
    3,447

    Default

    And, as an added note, the stronger your hate of it in others is, the more blind you become to the part of it that's in you, because you've built up so much hate for it that it would destroy your self image to acknowledge it in yourself. This is the loop of projected self loathing people get locked into, and it results in all sorts of rationalizations and extremist behaviour.
    Likes Xann liked this post

  9. #19
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi
    Posts
    3,447

    Default

    Also also, why is the poll timed?
    Likes Xann liked this post

  10. #20
    clever fool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    Are you talking about projection?
    I think so, yes.

    I also think this is related to the concept of the shadow brought up by Survive and Stay Free. (Sorry I can't find the "and" symbol on my keyboard so I can't tag you).

Similar Threads

  1. Salut and all that, good to be here, sorry we're all gonna die. heh.
    By Macabre in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
  2. [ISTJ] ISTJs (or all SJs) What do you think of these quotes?
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
  3. Es of all type, what you do when alone?
    By TickTock in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO