• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

• Yes

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Not anymore, but I have

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • I would never

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IIRC, you're on the spectrum, right? Which do you prefer/respond to better? Stimulants or depressants?

I liked Adderall a lot when I used to take it. So I slightly prefer stimulants. I prefer 'uppy' marijuana strains, so I can still do activities and get shit done.

Ingrid in grids

I've been on a variety of antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications. I credit Lexapro (Escitalopram) with saving my life at one point in time. After trialling a few, I found that I was happiest on Cymbalta (Duloxetine), which is what I now take regularly, though at the moment I am on a rather minor dose. I have responded well to most of the SSRI and SNRIs I have taken. I found I had fewest side effects on the Cymbalta.

I cured my personality disorder with salt lamps though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I take 30mg of Prozac every night for anxiety and have been for a little over a year. it doesn't fix everything, but it's fine b/c at least I'm not having panic attacks constantly anymore and I'm not just fucking destroying my cuticles from picking at them so much. it did take a few months for it to start kicking in, though, which sort of sucked.

as for whether I recommend going on meds or not, it all depends entirely on the person and what will end up working the best for them individually. for some people it works like a charm, for others it doesn't/makes things worse. the whole mentality that pisses me off is the one where people insist that doing it one way or the other is the entirely right/wrong way to do it though/turning their nose up at anyone who meds/meditation/etc. hasn't worked for

this and it goes both ways

Raffaella

bon vivant
I liked Adderall a lot when I used to take it. So I slightly prefer stimulants. I prefer 'uppy' marijuana strains, so I can still do activities and get shit done.

I hope you don't mind me asking, because I'm genuinely curious, but what is it that about the adderall that you enjoyed? Did it help your executive function? Or your social skills? I ask from what I've read and discussed with professionals, stimulants aren't necessarily a great option for people with autism. Very few respond to them. In fact, professionals sometimes use it to help them in their diagnoses of patients, not as a formal guide or anything, but something to look out for. I'm also on the spectrum, asperger's, find stimulants do nothing for me but deprive me of sleep and induce heart failure.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hope you don't mind me asking, because I'm genuinely curious, but what is it that about the adderall that you enjoyed? Did it help your executive function? Or your social skills? I ask from what I've read and discussed with professionals, stimulants aren't necessarily a great option for people with autism. Very few respond to them. In fact, professionals sometimes use it to help them in their diagnoses of patients, not as a formal guide or anything, but something to look out for. I'm also on the spectrum, asperger's, find stimulants do nothing for me but deprive me of sleep and induce heart failure.

I had to stop taking them because they prevented me from sleeping and caused heartburn. I also wasn't eating.

I felt like it helped me focus and become less scatterbrained and lethargic.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While I'm all for people doing what works for them, I'm not ok with people advocating avoiding meds altogether...sure, they might not be what works for everyone, but for others of us they've been a lifesaver...I'm pretty certain that i would have killed myself by now if i hadn't been able to get some grip on my mental health and diet, exercise, plenty of sleep and vitamins and such didn't do it for me.

Of course neither did ssris, which made me really nauseous and even more manic than i already was...i was in such a daze taking them that i don't remember the two months i took them

There is no one size fits all approach and as long as the person in question is happy and healthy that's what should matter, isn't it? :huh:

In other words, it's ok to do what works for you, but don't judge others for what works for them and don't give healthcare advice

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this thread makes me happy mostly because it makes me realize there's a lot of smart people on the forum and that not everyone on the forum thinks meds are bad

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this thread makes me happy mostly because it makes me realize there's a lot of smart people on the forum and that not everyone on the forum thinks meds are bad

I think they can be bad, or they can be good. There are so many factors involved in the treatment of one person with one condition. If someone takes Adderall (which works well for a lot of people) but has a congenital heart condition their physician missed, and they go into cardiac arrest - that med was clearly a very bad treatment option for them. Depending on the cardiac condition, “diet & exercise changes” could also prove fatal if not monitored properly. Certain supplements can also exacerbate heart conditions by causing electrolyte imbalances, among other things.

This^ is just an arbitrary example. I think when people are prescribed any treatment, be it naturopathic, behavioral, or pharmaceutical - there should be a multifactorial screening process done to detect any underlying conditions that may be exacerbated or triggered by the chosen treatment, and periodic monitoring should be done for a long time. Unfortunately, we don’t always have the resources or ability to be that thorough, or see every possibility ahead of us, but it’s important we voice these concerns to our doctors, and all make a concerted effort to be alert and proactive.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I probably should be on something for social anxiety. I can barely make phone calls and using the phone is a daily requisite at my job.

My anxiety causes me to put off a lot of things until the last minute, which then leads to more anxiety.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think they can be bad, or they can be good. There are so many factors involved in the treatment of one person with one condition. If someone takes Adderall (which works well for a lot of people) but has a congenital heart condition their physician missed, and they go into cardiac arrest - that med was clearly a very bad treatment option for them. Depending on the cardiac condition, “diet & exercise changes” could also prove fatal if not monitored properly. Certain supplements can also exacerbate heart conditions by causing electrolyte imbalances, among other things.

This^ is just an arbitrary example. I think when people are presecribed any treatment, be it naturopathic, behavioral, or pharmaceutical - there should be a multifactorial screening process done to detect any underlying conditions that may be exacerbated or triggered by the chosen treatment, and periodic monitoring should be done for a long time. Unfortunately, we don’t always have the resources or ability to be that thorough, or see every possibility ahead of us, but it’s important we voice these concerns to our doctors, and all make a concerted effort to be alert and proactive.

yes but that wasn't what i was saying, i'm refering to the people who compare psych drugs to herion. no.they.are.fucking/.not

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes but that wasn't what i was saying, i'm refering to the people who compare psych drugs to herion. no.they.are.fucking/.not

I agree, psych meds should not be universally likened to street drugs.

To play devil’s advocate, some meds can be subject to abuse like heroin due to addictive properties (drugs in the benzodiazepine family, for instance, as well as CNS stimulants like Adderall/Ritalin/Concerta), but the same could be said about a lot of things when used beyond a therapeutic level. They can cause lasting physical damage to the body when used improperly.

If an otherwise healthy individual is prescribed those medications & doesn’t abuse them, their risks of adverse events are extremely low. They & their doctor have decided the benefits of the treatment far outweigh the potential risks. This is written on the inside pamphlet of practically any prescription you pick up from the pharmacy.

I agree, it’s not a black & white thing. Much of medicine & life in general falls into the grey area. And we’ve gotta use our grey (& white) matter to make the best choices we can about it. I think dismissing any one area of treatment entirely is doing yourself a great disservice. I’m all for questioning things, but that shouldn’t lead to total dismissal when the answers aren’t always as clear as we’d like, or we don’t receive them in a timely fashion. Much of life doesn’t work that way.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Not sure what the future holds, so I can't say I never will.

I can say I never have before, and I don't think I've ever experienced the sort of depression or anxiety that requires even counseling, moreless medications.

I feel for people that need them, and I hope we continue making medicine that can help people function. As a nurse, it seems like now-a-days the sweet spot of 'it works for them' is narrow, and there's a honeymoon period followed by 'it doesnt work anymore' and eventually either a very depressed/anxious person or a very sedated person.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've been on a variety of antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications. I credit Lexapro (Escitalopram) with saving my life at one point in time. After trialling a few, I found that I was happiest on Cymbalta (Duloxetine), which is what I now take regularly, though at the moment I am on a rather minor dose. I have responded well to most of the SSRI and SNRIs I have taken. I found I had fewest side effects on the Cymbalta.
IIRC Cymbalta is what I was on previously.

Ever tried Remeron? It seems to be great for reigning in anxiety/panic while making your dreams extra insane. :whacko:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IIRC Cymbalta is what I was on previously.

Ever tried Remeron? It seems to be great for reigning in anxiety/panic while making your dreams extra insane. :whacko:

My cat Jack was actually on a tiny dose of mirtazapine (remeron) as part of palliative care treatment for his mast cell cancer. Appetite stimulant. It did help him keep his weight up, which in turn kept him active and playful (he seemed happy). I used my best judgement in the situation (quality of life over quantity), educated myself on the risks & benefits. I have no regrets. It’s been almost 4 yrs years since, & if I had to do it over again, my decisions would remain the same.

It is also prescribed to human cancer patients for the same effect. This is a good example of how meds can perform different functions for different conditions. Of course, as I’ve been saying, close monitoring is vital.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) another antidepressant medication that is prescribed for non-psych conditions, such as chronic pain, when other treatments haven’t been as effective. My uncle takes this for pain/permanent nerve damage from a motorcycle accident. It’s the only thing that’s worked for him. He’s been on it for decades, and is very happy/functions well. He still rides a bike, still builds them, still gets to do everything he used to do, for the most part. He couldn’t before this medication switch (he used to just be on opioids).

My mother was prescribed it for her spinal condition, but she couldn’t get around the drowsiness. She only took one dose, so I don’t know if she gave herself time to adjust, but it was her choice.

á´…eparted

passages

I was on Remeron for part of this year. It helped to some degree, a lot more than I was aware of looking back on it. It helped me stay "on" and work in more continuous streams and get out of my head while doing it, which I absolutely needed at the time. Unfortunately it caused so much drowsiness since I am sensitive to anti-histamines and I got sick of the weight gain and constant apetite so I dumped it, but it was helpful when I needed it.

rav3n

Nope, never needed it since anxiety or depression aren't issues with me. My base line emotional state is calm and neutral.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My cat Jack was actually on a tiny dose of mirtazapine (remeron) as part of palliative care treatment for his mast cell cancer. Appetite stimulant. It did help him keep his weight up, which in turn kept him active and playful (he seemed happy). I used my best judgement in the situation (quality of life over quantity), educated myself on the risks & benefits. I have no regrets. It’s been almost 4 yrs years since, & if I had to do it over again, my decisions would remain the same.

It is also prescribed to human cancer patients for the same effect. This is a good example of how meds can perform different functions for different conditions. Of course, as I’ve been saying, close monitoring is vital.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) another antidepressant medication that is prescribed for non-psych conditions, such as chronic pain, when other treatments haven’t been as effective. My uncle takes this for pain/permanent nerve damage from a motorcycle accident. It’s the only thing that’s worked for him. He’s been on it for decades, and is very happy/functions well. He still rides a bike, still builds them, still gets to do everything he used to do, for the most part. He couldn’t before this medication switch (he used to just be on opioids).

My mother was prescribed it for her spinal condition, but she couldn’t get around the drowsiness. She only took one dose, so I don’t know if she gave herself time to adjust, but it was her choice.

my mom takes amitriptiline for fibromyalgia. sorry for the spelling errors i was typing this while daisy was trying to bite me, and she takes it at night for both a sleep aid and for that

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did a little while for my PTSD, but I hate not feeling in control of my mind. With my brain damage, it's a wild card to see how meds will affect me.

ducks

Permabanned
I tried Zoloft and Prozac, but they gave me horrible side effects and made me feel like a zombie. Though it did help with my panic disorder. Plus you can't just stop taking that stuff or you get bad side effects. I don't know what the hell is in that stuff man.

But I saw an herbalist that suggested I take 5-htp and Ashwagandha Root instead and I was really surprised that it worked...and with no side effects. It all makes me very skeptical of western medicine. They just seem in it for the money. And I know some of that stuff really helps certain people, but when I see videos of people that got say Tardive Dyskinesia from psychiatric drugs it just scares me that I put that stuff in my brain. Especially considering a lot of psychiatric drugs have natural herbal substitutes that are natural to produce and don't require a prescription. Just makes me really skeptical of western medicine in general; it's too motivated by making a buck when it should be about keeping people healthy. I guess that says a lot about my country though. :dry: