User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 25.76%
  • No

20 30.30%
  • Not anymore, but I have

22 33.33%
  • I would never

7 10.61%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I think they can be bad, or they can be good. There are so many factors involved in the treatment of one person with one condition. If someone takes Adderall (which works well for a lot of people) but has a congenital heart condition their physician missed, and they go into cardiac arrest - that med was clearly a very bad treatment option for them. Depending on the cardiac condition, “diet & exercise changes” could also prove fatal if not monitored properly. Certain supplements can also exacerbate heart conditions by causing electrolyte imbalances, among other things.

This^ is just an arbitrary example. I think when people are presecribed any treatment, be it naturopathic, behavioral, or pharmaceutical - there should be a multifactorial screening process done to detect any underlying conditions that may be exacerbated or triggered by the chosen treatment, and periodic monitoring should be done for a long time. Unfortunately, we don’t always have the resources or ability to be that thorough, or see every possibility ahead of us, but it’s important we voice these concerns to our doctors, and all make a concerted effort to be alert and proactive.
    yes but that wasn't what i was saying, i'm refering to the people who compare psych drugs to herion. no.they.are.fucking/.not
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes but that wasn't what i was saying, i'm refering to the people who compare psych drugs to herion. no.they.are.fucking/.not
    I agree, psych meds should not be universally likened to street drugs.

To play devil’s advocate, some meds can be subject to abuse like heroin due to addictive properties (drugs in the benzodiazepine family, for instance, as well as CNS stimulants like Adderall/Ritalin/Concerta), but the same could be said about a lot of things when used beyond a therapeutic level. They can cause lasting physical damage to the body when used improperly.

If an otherwise healthy individual is prescribed those medications & doesn’t abuse them, their risks of adverse events are extremely low. They & their doctor have decided the benefits of the treatment far outweigh the potential risks. This is written on the inside pamphlet of practically any prescription you pick up from the pharmacy.

I agree, it’s not a black & white thing. Much of medicine & life in general falls into the grey area. And we’ve gotta use our grey (& white) matter to make the best choices we can about it. I think dismissing any one area of treatment entirely is doing yourself a great disservice. I’m all for questioning things, but that shouldn’t lead to total dismissal when the answers aren’t always as clear as we’d like, or we don’t receive them in a timely fashion. Much of life doesn’t work that way.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Tater, prplchknz, biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Not sure what the future holds, so I can't say I never will.

I can say I never have before, and I don't think I've ever experienced the sort of depression or anxiety that requires even counseling, moreless medications.

I feel for people that need them, and I hope we continue making medicine that can help people function. As a nurse, it seems like now-a-days the sweet spot of 'it works for them' is narrow, and there's a honeymoon period followed by 'it doesnt work anymore' and eventually either a very depressed/anxious person or a very sedated person.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes prplchknz, Lark liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid in grids View Post
    I've been on a variety of antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications. I credit Lexapro (Escitalopram) with saving my life at one point in time. After trialling a few, I found that I was happiest on Cymbalta (Duloxetine), which is what I now take regularly, though at the moment I am on a rather minor dose. I have responded well to most of the SSRI and SNRIs I have taken. I found I had fewest side effects on the Cymbalta.
    IIRC Cymbalta is what I was on previously.

Ever tried Remeron? It seems to be great for reigning in anxiety/panic while making your dreams extra insane.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    IIRC Cymbalta is what I was on previously.

Ever tried Remeron? It seems to be great for reigning in anxiety/panic while making your dreams extra insane.
    My cat Jack was actually on a tiny dose of mirtazapine (remeron) as part of palliative care treatment for his mast cell cancer. Appetite stimulant. It did help him keep his weight up, which in turn kept him active and playful (he seemed happy). I used my best judgement in the situation (quality of life over quantity), educated myself on the risks & benefits. I have no regrets. It’s been almost 4 yrs years since, & if I had to do it over again, my decisions would remain the same.

It is also prescribed to human cancer patients for the same effect. This is a good example of how meds can perform different functions for different conditions. Of course, as I’ve been saying, close monitoring is vital.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) another antidepressant medication that is prescribed for non-psych conditions, such as chronic pain, when other treatments haven’t been as effective. My uncle takes this for pain/permanent nerve damage from a motorcycle accident. It’s the only thing that’s worked for him. He’s been on it for decades, and is very happy/functions well. He still rides a bike, still builds them, still gets to do everything he used to do, for the most part. He couldn’t before this medication switch (he used to just be on opioids).

My mother was prescribed it for her spinal condition, but she couldn’t get around the drowsiness. She only took one dose, so I don’t know if she gave herself time to adjust, but it was her choice.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I was on Remeron for part of this year. It helped to some degree, a lot more than I was aware of looking back on it. It helped me stay "on" and work in more continuous streams and get out of my head while doing it, which I absolutely needed at the time. Unfortunately it caused so much drowsiness since I am sensitive to anti-histamines and I got sick of the weight gain and constant apetite so I dumped it, but it was helpful when I needed it.
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Nope, never needed it since anxiety or depression aren't issues with me. My base line emotional state is calm and neutral.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    My cat Jack was actually on a tiny dose of mirtazapine (remeron) as part of palliative care treatment for his mast cell cancer. Appetite stimulant. It did help him keep his weight up, which in turn kept him active and playful (he seemed happy). I used my best judgement in the situation (quality of life over quantity), educated myself on the risks & benefits. I have no regrets. It’s been almost 4 yrs years since, & if I had to do it over again, my decisions would remain the same.

It is also prescribed to human cancer patients for the same effect. This is a good example of how meds can perform different functions for different conditions. Of course, as I’ve been saying, close monitoring is vital.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) another antidepressant medication that is prescribed for non-psych conditions, such as chronic pain, when other treatments haven’t been as effective. My uncle takes this for pain/permanent nerve damage from a motorcycle accident. It’s the only thing that’s worked for him. He’s been on it for decades, and is very happy/functions well. He still rides a bike, still builds them, still gets to do everything he used to do, for the most part. He couldn’t before this medication switch (he used to just be on opioids).

My mother was prescribed it for her spinal condition, but she couldn’t get around the drowsiness. She only took one dose, so I don’t know if she gave herself time to adjust, but it was her choice.
    my mom takes amitriptiline for fibromyalgia. sorry for the spelling errors i was typing this while daisy was trying to bite me, and she takes it at night for both a sleep aid and for that
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:

I did a little while for my PTSD, but I hate not feeling in control of my mind. With my brain damage, it's a wild card to see how meds will affect me.
    Likes magpie, prplchknz liked this post

Permabanned

I tried Zoloft and Prozac, but they gave me horrible side effects and made me feel like a zombie. Though it did help with my panic disorder. Plus you can't just stop taking that stuff or you get bad side effects. I don't know what the hell is in that stuff man.

But I saw an herbalist that suggested I take 5-htp and Ashwagandha Root instead and I was really surprised that it worked...and with no side effects. It all makes me very skeptical of western medicine. They just seem in it for the money. And I know some of that stuff really helps certain people, but when I see videos of people that got say Tardive Dyskinesia from psychiatric drugs it just scares me that I put that stuff in my brain. Especially considering a lot of psychiatric drugs have natural herbal substitutes that are natural to produce and don't require a prescription. Just makes me really skeptical of western medicine in general; it's too motivated by making a buck when it should be about keeping people healthy. I guess that says a lot about my country though.