User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 25.76%
  • No

20 30.30%
  • Not anymore, but I have

22 33.33%
  • I would never

7 10.61%
First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I take marijuana for anxiety.
    IIRC, you're on the spectrum, right? Which do you prefer/respond to better? Stimulants or depressants?
    Be afraid of the old, they'll inherit your souls

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaella View Post
    IIRC, you're on the spectrum, right? Which do you prefer/respond to better? Stimulants or depressants?
    I liked Adderall a lot when I used to take it. So I slightly prefer stimulants. I prefer 'uppy' marijuana strains, so I can still do activities and get shit done.

I've been on a variety of antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications. I credit Lexapro (Escitalopram) with saving my life at one point in time. After trialling a few, I found that I was happiest on Cymbalta (Duloxetine), which is what I now take regularly, though at the moment I am on a rather minor dose. I have responded well to most of the SSRI and SNRIs I have taken. I found I had fewest side effects on the Cymbalta.

I cured my personality disorder with salt lamps though.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshi-San View Post
    I take 30mg of Prozac every night for anxiety and have been for a little over a year. it doesn't fix everything, but it's fine b/c at least I'm not having panic attacks constantly anymore and I'm not just fucking destroying my cuticles from picking at them so much. it did take a few months for it to start kicking in, though, which sort of sucked.

as for whether I recommend going on meds or not, it all depends entirely on the person and what will end up working the best for them individually. for some people it works like a charm, for others it doesn't/makes things worse. the whole mentality that pisses me off is the one where people insist that doing it one way or the other is the entirely right/wrong way to do it though/turning their nose up at anyone who meds/meditation/etc. hasn't worked for
    this and it goes both ways
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes Ingrid in grids liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I liked Adderall a lot when I used to take it. So I slightly prefer stimulants. I prefer 'uppy' marijuana strains, so I can still do activities and get shit done.
    I hope you don't mind me asking, because I'm genuinely curious, but what is it that about the adderall that you enjoyed? Did it help your executive function? Or your social skills? I ask from what I've read and discussed with professionals, stimulants aren't necessarily a great option for people with autism. Very few respond to them. In fact, professionals sometimes use it to help them in their diagnoses of patients, not as a formal guide or anything, but something to look out for. I'm also on the spectrum, asperger's, find stimulants do nothing for me but deprive me of sleep and induce heart failure.
    Be afraid of the old, they'll inherit your souls
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaella View Post
    I hope you don't mind me asking, because I'm genuinely curious, but what is it that about the adderall that you enjoyed? Did it help your executive function? Or your social skills? I ask from what I've read and discussed with professionals, stimulants aren't necessarily a great option for people with autism. Very few respond to them. In fact, professionals sometimes use it to help them in their diagnoses of patients, not as a formal guide or anything, but something to look out for. I'm also on the spectrum, asperger's, find stimulants do nothing for me but deprive me of sleep and induce heart failure.
    I had to stop taking them because they prevented me from sleeping and caused heartburn. I also wasn't eating.

I felt like it helped me focus and become less scatterbrained and lethargic.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

While I'm all for people doing what works for them, I'm not ok with people advocating avoiding meds altogether...sure, they might not be what works for everyone, but for others of us they've been a lifesaver...I'm pretty certain that i would have killed myself by now if i hadn't been able to get some grip on my mental health and diet, exercise, plenty of sleep and vitamins and such didn't do it for me.

Of course neither did ssris, which made me really nauseous and even more manic than i already was...i was in such a daze taking them that i don't remember the two months i took them

There is no one size fits all approach and as long as the person in question is happy and healthy that's what should matter, isn't it?

In other words, it's ok to do what works for you, but don't judge others for what works for them and don't give healthcare advice
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes biohazard, Jaguar, prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

this thread makes me happy mostly because it makes me realize there's a lot of smart people on the forum and that not everyone on the forum thinks meds are bad
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so :hi:
    Likes miss fortune, N/A liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    this thread makes me happy mostly because it makes me realize there's a lot of smart people on the forum and that not everyone on the forum thinks meds are bad
    I think they can be bad, or they can be good. There are so many factors involved in the treatment of one person with one condition. If someone takes Adderall (which works well for a lot of people) but has a congenital heart condition their physician missed, and they go into cardiac arrest - that med was clearly a very bad treatment option for them. Depending on the cardiac condition, “diet & exercise changes” could also prove fatal if not monitored properly. Certain supplements can also exacerbate heart conditions by causing electrolyte imbalances, among other things.

This^ is just an arbitrary example. I think when people are prescribed any treatment, be it naturopathic, behavioral, or pharmaceutical - there should be a multifactorial screening process done to detect any underlying conditions that may be exacerbated or triggered by the chosen treatment, and periodic monitoring should be done for a long time. Unfortunately, we don’t always have the resources or ability to be that thorough, or see every possibility ahead of us, but it’s important we voice these concerns to our doctors, and all make a concerted effort to be alert and proactive.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes magpie, biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I probably should be on something for social anxiety. I can barely make phone calls and using the phone is a daily requisite at my job.

My anxiety causes me to put off a lot of things until the last minute, which then leads to more anxiety.