• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

• Yes

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Not anymore, but I have

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • I would never

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I take Wellbutrin now for depression and ADHD and I'm a completely different person, for the better. It had been YEARS since I was able to be myself, apparently. I just didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I take Wellbutrin now for depression and ADHD and I'm a completely different person, for the better. It had been YEARS since I was able to be myself, apparently. I just didn't realize how bad it had gotten.

I took that for about 14 months once when I had an episode of depression (which only happened to me the one time but it was awful). It was absolutely not a cure but worked pretty well and helped me get through it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I need to change my answer as I am now on a low dose of remeron and it actually works or maybe it's because it's summer i actually want to get out and do stuff. plus my sleep has improved except the last 2 nights where i couldn't sleep if this continues i'll bring it up.

Enneagram
9w1
Zoloft I think, it made me more extraverted and energetic and social, but with a side effect being that I always felt easy to anger. Maybe because I have Asperger's as well, I'm not sure where the aggression comes from.

Social anxiety and Asperger's was the issue mostly, depression I don't think was present. But it definitely worked 100%

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Zoloft I think, it made me more extraverted and energetic and social, but with a side effect being that I always felt easy to anger. Maybe because I have Asperger's as well, I'm not sure where the aggression comes from.

Social anxiety and Asperger's was the issue mostly, depression I don't think was present. But it definitely worked 100%

yeah anti-depressants are sometimes used for other things other than depression. but i wonder if you weren't cuz i know when i'm depressed i'm introverted, low energy, and anti-social. But when I'm not I'm like what you describe social, energetic, and extraverted. but i'm more likely to be angry when depressed.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I use ritalin and St. John's wort (and Abilify in the past).

Especially the ritalin still makes me feel like a 'druggie' from time to time. As if I am not supposed to use it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd suffered from severe depression and anxiety for years, to which I thought there was no end in sight. I'd done extensive research over several years, looking at both natural and pharmaceutical remedies to at least alleviate the night terrors (in my worst experience I awoke in the middle of the night, screaming and sweating profusely, and punched myself in the face in a state of supreme confusion).

I'd recently discovered an ancient Mayan herbal blend of crushed caterpillars, bull semen extract, all brewed together 3 liters of room temperature Flint, Michigan tap water. Other than the occasional seizure and the sudden onset of narcolepsy, this new blend seems to be working pretty well and gives me hope I be functional enough to resume pursuing my life's dream of following in my father's footsteps and a world champion Tetris player.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A counterargument to medication for 'invisible disabilities' (mental illness) is that people get 'dependent' on them, but it is just as necessary as the diabetic whose body does not produce insulin properly. Dependent, yes, but for good reason- in order to achieve a hormonal balance that people without the illnesses do possess. Everyone is just as 'dependent' on the 'drugs' their brain processes, some just need help with the manufacturing because they may be impaired from doing so at all- it is an illness, after all. Medication is just helping achieve what is supposed to be (or what is preferable to be) there (be it insulin, or serotonin).

Taking advantage of a better state of being is not much different than exercising, which is changing your 'natural' self to build strength and bulk- there is no 'real you', no 'natural state', only what state you do choose to live in, and the healthier the better.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started Zoloft like 2 weeks ago. Its largely took away my irritability and anger. Made it harder to feel emotion in general, and stopped my hypervigilence. But now I just feel dead inside, and my therapist is practically telling me to learn how to feel again in this state. I can't focus on things in my free time at all, and seem to be in a perpetual state of apathy and anhedonia.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ A fellow Zoloft user!! I stopped taking it last year; made me feel worse in the long run. I had severe Social Anxiety (still do) and symptoms of depressions. Yeah, it made me less "on edge" but at the same time strengthened my depression symptoms. It sucked the life out of me. Currently trying to deal with things without pills with some success in regard to my anxiety issues, but I still generally feel apathetic.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm still on 150mg bupropion (Wellbutrin), but it's such a low dose and I've come so far with my coping skills that I'm not sure how much it's helping. I also take 25mg CBD oil twice daily and supplement with vitamin D drops.

I can't say I'm "cured" or that there is even a cure for the pain and trauma that life inflicts upon us (that is after all the nature of scars, which we all bear to some extent), but the surface has healed enough so that I don't have to walk around hiding behind bandages worrying that the wound will seep through the edges.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Also, I'd like to add that I think that some antidepressants work by numbing the ability to feel, which may be initially beneficial in a crisis, but after some time, if you are noticing a distinct inability to feel, I would consider a change in some direction as far as treatment goes.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love my zoloft.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The main reason I am giving antidepressants a go to begin with, is because I have tried everything else. I got tired of putting up with it alone.

Now if only my therapy wasn't so awkward. I keep spacing what I want to say lol.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
My answer should change from "no, but used to" to "yes" but there's no way for me to change it.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
When I was 15 they put me on antidepressants. My father convinced me I didn't need them and it was just a matter of circumstance and willpower, so I came off of them. A few years later I got fired from my job for depression issues. Some years after that I learned I was bipolar all this time. I had tried to fight it all on my own for years, but nothing I did ever worked. Eventually I accepted the fact that my father was wrong and I needed help.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I started taking Lexapro yesterday(10 mg). I thought I was having a placebo effect at first because it started kicking in like 17 minutes after I took it, but naw. I definitely feel more placid, and it feels like my legs are being restrained? My anxiety makes me really hyper, but now I'm not feeling that same urge to run around for the most part. It's a weird feeling for sure, but it's not a bad one. We'll see how things play out in the long run.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Therapists in the past have tried to get me to take it, but I've refused. I'm a bit afraid of any type of medicine and avoid taking it as much as possible. Also, I don't think anything can help me feel better at this point and I should probably stop trying.

I don't think there's anything wrong about taking it, I just don't think it's for me.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've been off of medication for quite some time now. I prefer it this way because having only numbed access to my emotional states can be frustrating and counterproductive to healing trauma. I also think I was basically on a near placebo level dose anyway. I'm stubborn, and I never wanted to rely on medication, so I just stayed at 150 (I believe a standard dose of bupropion is 300 mg).

I just use full-spectrum CBD now and make sure I'm getting enough sun exposure or vitamin D supplement. Limiting alcohol helps, buuuut I'm not necessarily very successful in that department, consistently. I go in spurts.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not currently, but I probably should be (and eventually will probably retry once I figure out where my issue lies, it it's required of course).