User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you take antidepressants/anxiety medication? (anonymous poll)

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 25.00%
  • No

18 30.00%
  • Not anymore, but I have

21 35.00%
  • I would never

6 10.00%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

no

Parody Parrot
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I took citalopram around my twenties and an antidepressant around 34 years old (took both about 1 year). They did absolutely nothing for me. I switched jobs and my life changed for the better.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    TNT

I took SSRIs for a month. Never again.

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

@Peter Deadpan
    No, not anymore. I took them for 2 years and always had constant side effects. They didn't help, they only made matters worse for me. The depression and anxiety I had was because I had undiagnosed atypical Celiac Disease and hypothyroidism so Cymbalta did nothing.

The withdrawal I had from Cymbalta was the WORST tbh. I had constant brain zaps and blackouts, bad insomnia, mania moments, etc. I remember I walked to the movie theater like 20 minutes away and forgot how I got there during the withdrawal period. Then I would have bouts of mania where I would start yelling and screaming. And I couldn't even tell you why. I ended up with Hep-A, acute liver failure, and anemia cause of these drugs.

I'm so glad I'm through this period of my life. I will never put that man-made medication into my body ever again. Fuck that.

Anyway, my depression and anxiety went away once I started on the ketogenic diet. I also take a trace mineral called "Boron" that helps with my mood, greatly. I also take "iodine" which helps with my thyroid. Most of us are deficient in trace minerals because US farmers are not required to replenish the soil. So I take a multi vitamin supplement that has various trace minerals in it. It helps so much with depression and anxiety.

I also avoid: soy, grains, starches, sugar, fruits (fructose), corn, etc because they're proven to cause inflammation in the body which causes depression and anxiety. These starches inhibit beta-Hydroxybutyric acid to the brain which is essential for proper brain function.

Last edited by biohazard; 01-30-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Likes magpie, Amethyst Archon, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    954 so/sp

Nope. I probably should, though.

Tried Sertraline, it did nothing for me. Got onto the stronger shit like Venlafaxine - and holy hellllllll. Fucking love that shit!

Venlafaxine has really affected my life positively, it's put a stop to the depression symptoms and improved the anxiety symptoms. I can actually wake up in the morning not feeling jittery about simple tasks like showering. I can function like a normal person, I'm not tired all the time. Bless this cute like chemical with the most awful withdrawal profile

ETA: I knew it was only a matter of time before people with no understanding of medicine entered it and stunk the thread up with their garbage
    Be afraid of the old, they'll inherit your souls
    Likes Hard, Frosty, prplchknz liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaella View Post
    Tried Sertraline, it did nothing for me. Got onto the stronger shit like Venlafaxine - and holy hellllllll. Fucking love that shit!

Venlafaxine has really affected my life positively, it's put a stop to the depression symptoms and improved the anxiety symptoms. I can actually wake up in the morning not feeling jittery about simple tasks like showering. I can function like a normal person, I'm not tired all the time. Bless this cute like chemical with the most awful withdrawal profile
    Venlafaxine gets shit on the most because when it doesn't work, it's usually very unpleasent and requires a lot of time to go on, wait, and go off. It does suck. But, when it does work it is one of the most solid medications out there. I mean, the literature behind it is robust, it's popular for a reason. I don't agree with it being first line though. It take investment, so medications that require less investment should be tried first. People are at their worst when they comes for meds, usually, so we ought to try things with the lowest risk first.

ETA: I knew it was only a matter of time before people with no understanding of medicine entered it and stunk the thread up with their garbage
    Yes. I have learned to just ignore it unless it gets super blatant and loud, or if I am directly poked.
    Likes Frosty liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Venlafaxine gets shit on the most because when it doesn't work, it's usually very unpleasent and requires a lot of time to go on, wait, and go off. It does suck. But, when it does work it is one of the most solid medications out there. I mean, the literature behind it is robust, it's popular for a reason. I don't agree with it being first line though. It take investment, so medications that require less investment should be tried first. People are at their worst when they comes for meds, usually, so we ought to try things with the lowest risk first.
    Definitely agree with this, and thankfully it's not recommended first-line here (SSRIs are first-line). When I worked in a different environment, I was very diligent about explaining the full profile of all psychotropic medications to patients so they knew what to expect. And the majority of them had other medical conditions that made their anxiety and depression less responsive to SSRIs. I genuinely believe primary healthcare practitioners do not get enough training in this field in my country but I can't speak for other places.

Yes. I have learned to just ignore it unless it gets super blatant and loud, or if I am directly poked.
    Yeah, gotta love that years and years of research is ignored since apparently a trace element (that conveniently rhymes with moron) can be used to treat depression!
    Be afraid of the old, they'll inherit your souls
    Likes Frosty, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

It bothers me because it may deter people who need/would really be helped by meds. but i don't have the background to refute i just know mine are lifesavers. and if i weren't on them i'd probably kill myself in a year and i also can't function.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Raffaella liked this post

Enneagram
    9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I take marijuana for anxiety.
    Likes biohazard, chickpea, meowington liked this post