User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I've never had a smartphone and I've been lonely for years.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"There now, that wasn't so good, was it?" - Leonard Pinth-Garnell
    Likes Galena, Typh0n, Frosty, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

impersonally, i see far larger trends than smartphone usage at play here.

personally, as an introvert, social media and foruming often become staples in my social life; having access to those resources on my phone is an added bonus.

i am not a fan of the phone-based platforms (e.g. Tinder).

the author is in hysterics.
    Pisces Sun
    Virgo Moon
    Virgo Rising
    Likes Galena liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ

While there are negatives, I don't think it's fair to say smartphones have destroyed a generation. There were times when the largest percentage of society couldn't read and write, a time when people stuck their faces in a book or newspaper to escape reality, a time when people began to have all consuming careers-spending more time at work than with family. All before your friendly mobile phone.
    We've been on the decline from our beginning, the only difference now is the speed in which it is happening.
    Johari | Nohari
    Likes Galena, Snow as White liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Smart phones encourage even more multitasking than people already were doing, which comes at the significant cost of the ability to focus for sustained periods on "deeper" tasks, as described in this article, referencing the book Deep Work by Cal Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Work
    Much of social media is specifically built to fragment your time. Not unlike a slot machine, it rewards you with “shiny things”—likes, hearts, retweets, comments, and other positivity in exchange for time. Before long, your day becomes disrupted as you push, pull, and swipe for updates and notifications.

Even a quick glance at Twitter or reviewing an email has a negative impact on your ability to focus on tasks. In fact, that one quick glance costs you about 15 to 20 minutes of attention loss. Our brains are simply not wired for that level of distraction. The barrage of the social media world is changing the landscape of our brain’s reward centers. In addition to impacting our cognitive ability to get work done, it also concerns medical professionals, who are seeing increased rates of anxiety other psychological issues among college students.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes Tater liked this post

My thoughts on it are parallel to the overused saying about how guns don't shoot people, people use guns to shoot people.

Likewise, cell phones don't ruin generations, peoples' nature is already there and cell phones are just a tool.

They're wonderful, useful little gadgets...but ultimately, we are self-detrimental, and overusing smart phones is just one of many manifestations of this nature.

People love pleasure to a fault. Anything that's not done in moderation is going to cause other things to become neglected.

When other things get neglected, we start seeing negative drawbacks that pivot around the new thing that's been implemented...

but in this case, it's not always the inanimate object, it's just the excessive use of the inanimate object. In other words, I don't think the smart phone can necessarily be ruled out as entirely negative.

Some get addicted or get hooked on dopamine effects, have a weakness for the thing and can't do moderation; others do just fine and can keep their lives balanced without removing the thing from their lives entirely.

Alternatively, since it can aid in escapism, the tool's existence may play a role in the sense that escapism and imbalance go hand-in-hand;

escapism results in neglecting things, and it would be harder if the means of escape weren't so easily accessible...but now I'm getting into technology in general.

That's my two cents.

Edit:
    Interestingly enough, it seems like it connects us but in reality it's putting distance between us during interaction.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

In my opinion No. It’s not the smartphone that destroys it, but the generation itself. There are people with smartphones addiction, Kids with bad grades because they spend the whole night playing angry birds, Cyberbullying and the list goes on. Smartphones are just tools. A gun alone can’t kill, the user does. Smartphones allow us to speak to people at the other side of the earth, spreads knowledge around the world, immortalize moments, makes you find your way, teach you how to cook, and can even help you become healthy. Until there is an Artificial Intelligence who decides to destroy humanity, you can’t blame technology for the problems humans created.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomendei View Post
    In my opinion No. It’s not the smartphone that destroys it, but the generation itself. There are people with smartphones addiction, Kids with bad grades because they spend the whole night playing angry birds, Cyberbullying and the list goes on. Smartphones are just tools. A gun alone can’t kill, the user does. Smartphones allow us to speak to people at the other side of the earth, spreads knowledge around the world, immortalize moments, makes you find your way, teach you how to cook, and can even help you become healthy. Until there is an Artificial Intelligence who decides to destroy humanity, you can’t blame technology for the problems humans created.
    Well, I think this reasoning is correct when it comes to adults but not children. The whole "a gun alone can't kill, the user does" is correct and can be applied to the abuse of smartphones too.

I know Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg don't allow their kids to use social media or have access to smartphones so if I think the blame is partly on parents for allowing kids to use those things to begin with. So I think the fault is on ignorant (not necessarily "bad" in a moral sense, just misinformed) parenting.
    Likes Nomendei liked this post

Permabanned

Smart phones are an environment to which we respond.

We look right through the screen to the content, and the environment of the phone is invisible to us.

The phone now is spread across the world from Africa, to the Middle East, to Asia, to Oceania, to North and South America, to Europe and the Russias.

We are enchanted by the smart phone, we can't take our eyes off it, or our block our ears, or stop feeling it in our hands, we are enchanted and entranced by the smart phone.

The illiterate and the literate are enchanted by the smart phone.

Does the smart phone have a different effect on the literate or a different effect on the illiterate?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

I think there are too many other factors at play to allow justification of the smartphone as the smoking gun in this scenario.

Pulling out the metric of "feeling lonely." I would say that social media is more of the culprit than smart phones. Social media has built its empire on the human need to keep up with the joneses and enable others to try and achieve that elusive goal post moving benchmark. You can sit for hours scrolling through your friends or school companions "news" feeds and seeing them showcasing and spotlight the 1% of their life where things look commercial perfect (after they bought that new car, or spent 5 weeks with side effects on some new pharmaceutical) and think that this is their entire life.

Permabanned

Hii...you don't know me, but kind of weird that smart phones, which make it easier to connect with people at any time of the day no matter where anyone is, might actually be making them less connected and less happy.