User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

Honestly, I was a shut-in regardless of any type of technology. I also put a ton of effort into my schoolwork. Well, and I didn't have many friends and the ones I did have tended to either be similar or never invite me out. I think there are still probably a good amount of teens that are like that now.

I think smartphones are useful tools. But they can be used harmfully. I think social media is a HUGE chunk of the problem. And that's not just for young people. Plenty of fully grown adults who should know better use social media as a platform for insulting others, whining, gossiping, oversharing, and every possible negative consequence of social media you can think of.
    Likes Red Memories liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    I'd still rule it as a net negative myself. Information is great and all but is it really worth good mental health?
    Who says the two have to be mutually exclusive? Just by the sheer numbers of people using smartphones, it doesn't mean that everyone will develop an unhealthy relationship or dependency on them.

This is kind of like the alcohol/cigarettes argument.

Also, in regards to being social, are we really less social now in the age of social media and handheld phones that can be used to remain in constant contact with anyone in the world at all times? I think we're just in the midst of a change in social dynamics, and like anything else some people embrace the change whereas others resist -- Moreso than any other time period in history do we, as an individual, have the ability to meet with and connect with other people anywhere in the world; no long are you restricted to the confines of your local community for socializing and finding potential mates.

I will agree that in-person social dynamics suffers and somewhat breakdown due to not being the predominant medium anymore, and overtime it will lead to degenerated ability to recognize and adhere to developed norms and verbal/non-verbal social cues, they're replaced by new ones catered to suit the current medium.

Them luciferian mobile phones, probably responsible for the all the damned uppidity lady folks deciding not to put out too.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Who says the two have to be mutually exclusive? Just by the sheer numbers of people using smartphones, it doesn't mean that everyone will develop an unhealthy relationship or dependency on them. This is kind of like the alcohol/cigarettes argument
    Just because you smoke and drink, you might not get cancer from it it's true- but is that really a good argument for smoking and drinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I think we're just in the midst of a change in social dynamics, and like anything else some people embrace the change whereas others resist
    Those charts I posted certainly do indicate change- and if that's the kind of change you want to embrace, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Them luciferian mobile phones, probably responsible for the all the damned uppidity lady folks deciding not to put out too.
    ...why?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    ...why?
    Don't you know - it's quite the rage in some circles nowadays to blame everything on "emancipated women", much as some years ago we blamed everything on El Niño.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Don't you know - it's quite the rage in some circles nowadays to blame everything on "emancipated women", much as some years ago we blamed everything on El Niño.
    I know, it's just that the statement seemed more like bait than something innocent.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

I am not too pleased with certain aspects of Smart phones and internet that are already mentioned here. Especially since I did read some books on the topic. If anything we all stare at the screen way too much each day.

Plus I will add to the mix that smart phones have English alphabet and many letters from first language are left out. Therefore certain improvised replacements had to be found, but with this the entire generations basically lost the certain connection with their first language. Especially since many words got replaced with their English counter-part through the mass use of internet. What in the end can make messages unclear or it can even lead into the rise of anti-western or anti-globalist sentiment, since many regardless of this already think that we are under economic and perhaps even political occupation. So for me this really isn't simple or trivial issue.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I know, it's just that the statement seemed more like bait than something innocent.
    Kind of out of place in a non political fish tank.

Permabanned

I think smart phones are changing us, but we don't know how they are charging us.