User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I'd be interested to see the post smart phone era effect on literacy rates -- I imagine the rate of adolescent illiteracy has to be lower than any previous generation by comparison, simply due to the increasingly younger ages that children are being exposed to handheld technology.

Also, is less teenaged sex (pregnancies) necessarily a bad thing? A certain amount of that is attributed to lack of stimulation and lack of proper sex education and alternatives.

Say what negatives you will, I'll gladly sacrifice whatever is necessary to be able to carry a device with seemingly infinite levels of knowledge at the mercy of my fingertips and imagination. Despite any loss of socialization, I still rule them an overall net-positive.
    Likes N/A, Tilt, Snow as White liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I'd be interested to see the post smart phone era effect on literacy rates -- I imagine the rate of adolescent illiteracy has to be lower than any previous generation by comparison, simply due to the increasingly younger ages that children are being exposed to handheld technology.

Also, is less teenaged sex (pregnancies) necessarily a bad thing? A certain amount of that is attributed to lack of stimulation and lack of proper sex education and alternatives.

Say what negatives you will, I'll gladly sacrifice whatever is necessary to be able to carry a device with seemingly infinite levels of knowledge at the mercy of my fingertips and imagination. Despite any loss of socialization, I still rule them an overall net-positive.
    Seriously. I use my wikipedia app just as much as I use Facebook on my phone.

I fucking LOVE wikipedia! <3

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have still to buy one. Apart from considering it as a portable library when on backpacking holidays, it's never crossed my mind.

Smartphones, or rather a smart phone, got that town in Germany into some sort of a child murder time loop after that guy steampunked a power source for that one abandoned by the guy from the future who got stranded in the past, that is unless the whole other clockwork machine which interacts with it and sent someone to the future has changed everything. Though whether that was the future or a pocket dimension is up for debate.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    This trend started to happen around 2004-2005 according to the data above. Not cause of the IPhone in 2007. So that's really off the mark.
    I noticed that too, which makes me think the Internet is more the root of the problem- since that's about when casual non-nerdy type people started really discovering its usefulness on PCs (which everyone had)- I think smartphones just heavily enabled and exacerbated internet use. Most positive elements in life are balanced by an equal and opposing negative- and the Internet has a lot of positives.
    Likes biohazard, Bush liked this post

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Some possible contributing factors:
    • General overscheduling of students with activities (sports, lessons, college classes, volunteering, etc.)
    • Less time/attention from parents due to need to work more jobs/hours
    • Teens working to help family and/or save for college
    • Increased cost of auto insurance for teens/burdensome licensing requirements

Also, I'm not sure a decline in high schoolers having sex is a bad thing. No harm done saving it for later when they are more mature, and focusing on their education and extracurriculars while still in school

All that being said, I do think smartphones have a definite negative effect, and not only on teens. People can't plan any more; or perhaps I should say, they don't want to bother. Everything is done on the fly, enabled by the ability to look up nearly anything right away on a smartphone. People assume others are active online to the same degree they are, and rely on social media to transmit info that previously would have taken a phone call or email (or, heaven forbid, a snail mail letter). Language has eroded with the rise of texting. People don't make provisions for an emergency or even thinks through possible situations, since they can always call for help, any time, anywhere. And people have thrown their privacy out the window by putting so much of their personal lives online, a development not caused by smartphones, but exponentially escalated by them.

Yes, one can just as readily list positive effects of smartphones. I am not going to draw any broad conclusion here about whether the pros outweigh the cons. But full disclosure: I still have a tracfone, with a removable battery, that makes phone calls and awkwardly texts.
    via Imgflip Meme Generator
    You and whose army?

Blogs:

Apeiron

Dr. Anaximander's Used Music Bin

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Some possible contributing factors:
    • General overscheduling of students with activities (sports, lessons, college classes, volunteering, etc.)
    • Less time/attention from parents due to need to work more jobs/hours
    • Teens working to help family and/or save for college
    • Increased cost of auto insurance for teens/burdensome licensing requirements

Also, I'm not sure a decline in high schoolers having sex is a bad thing. No harm done saving it for later when they are more mature, and focusing on their education and extracurriculars while still in school

All that being said, I do think smartphones have a definite negative effect, and not only on teens. People can't plan any more; or perhaps I should say, they don't want to bother. Everything is done on the fly, enabled by the ability to look up nearly anything right away on a smartphone. People assume others are active online to the same degree they are, and rely on social media to transmit info that previously would have taken a phone call or email (or, heaven forbid, a snail mail letter). Language has eroded with the rise of texting. People don't make provisions for an emergency or even thinks through possible situations, since they can always call for help, any time, anywhere. And people have thrown their privacy out the window by putting so much of their personal lives online, a development not caused by smartphones, but exponentially escalated by them.

Yes, one can just as readily list positive effects of smartphones. I am not going to draw any broad conclusion here about whether the pros outweigh the cons. But full disclosure: I still have a tracfone, with a removable battery, that makes phone calls and awkwardly texts.
    The scheduling and extensive activity, curricular and extracurricular, I actually think are good things and positive developments. I think the decline in sexual activity is just one early positive indicator of its impact. While its opinion rather than something I can evidence, I like to think its got something to do with an increased awareness of options, available choices and the emergence of proper prioritisation of what life has to offer.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with adopting a "time enough for that, I'll get around to it" attitude to sexual activity but there's also nothing wrong with adopting the opposite point of view with respect of gaining fitness, becoming healthy, establishing some (hopefully lasting) friendships and contacts, developing some skills and hobbies and interests besides a kind of low grade, toxic hedonism.

Its no where near where it could be, I think its a positive development despite all the criticism there is of life logging as a neo-liberal phenomenon and top loading of skills as just reflective of a job market characterised by vanishing opportunities and capricious employers hiring and firing on the basis of who may be expedient or amusing because of their personal goals, interests or skills for a season.

MBTI
    INTP

I'd be interested to see the post smart phone era effect on literacy rates -- I imagine the rate of adolescent illiteracy has to be lower than any previous generation by comparison, simply due to the increasingly younger ages that children are being exposed to handheld technology. Also, is less teenaged sex (pregnancies) necessarily a bad thing? A certain amount of that is attributed to lack of stimulation and lack of proper sex education and alternatives. Say what negatives you will, I'll gladly sacrifice whatever is necessary to be able to carry a device with seemingly infinite levels of knowledge at the mercy of my fingertips and imagination. Despite any loss of socialization, I still rule them an overall net-positive.
    I'd still rule it as a net negative myself. Information is great and all but is it really worth good mental health? Is it really necessary to have an answer to everything with no effort all of the time? A healthy sense of wonder is paramount to happiness, and denying ourselves microdoses of absent curiosity to speculate on our own adds up.

Lower teen sex rates is a positive symptom of a worse cause; like eating less doughnuts because cancer has robbed you of your appetite.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yeah I don't see everything on that list as a negative (teen sex is one, don't conservatives want that or are just going to disagree to own libs?). Every kid over 16 I know has a license. Driving is another matter. It's not because they don't want to, it's because it's incredibly expensive to insure a teenage driver in this state. On the other side, I think they are lonely, I think they are easily depressed because of it and they absolutely aren't getting enough sleep.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.