• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Whats your earliest memory?

How old were you?

• Total voters

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my mind it's very blurry, but I was around two years old. It was when I tumbled down the stairs of the apartment complex I lived in with my family. I remember losing my balance and then crying hysterically moments after I fell, ending up with a large bump on my forehead and my mom having to ice it for me. However, my earliest, vivid memories started when I was three.

Aww sorry about that!
I had a serious accident about the same age (two or three years) that left a mark to this day, I fall on the VCR and its edge slit my left cheek open, and what is more strange than the fact that I have no memory about it whatsoever, is that it didn’t leave any bit of scar, instead it left a dimple (to this day)!! :laugh: I remember people telling me “Oh it made a dimple right there!!” and I had no idea what they’re talking about, thought dimple is a bad thing :D

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are two candidates for my earliest memory. I was most likely three years old when both occurred.

The first is of my parents and I sitting on the roof of our car during the evening. We were watching the airplanes take off from the airport. I know this had to be before 9/11 (I was 3 almost 4 when this event occurred) because we were not allowed to drive as close to the airport after the attacks. It was really a spectacular view. My best guess is that I was 3 when this memory occurred.

According to my mom, this event happened when I was 3. I don't remember at what point of the year, however. Basically, I tripped over a chair in preschool and busted my lip. Well actually, I bit through my bottom lip. I still have the scar there from the incident about 17 years later (it is very very very faint now and has been for quite some time). I remember laying there and crying because it hurt. The teacher was telling me that it would be okay because my mom would be there soon. Then I remember getting stitches. Not a fun experience at all. They had to cover me with an adult size straight jacket (I was a tiny 3 year old, much smaller than any other kids my age).

I remember 9/11, but I know that cannot be the earliest memory of mine because of the first memory I mentioned. Though that's a candidate for the earliest. I remember my mom coming to pick me up from preschool and how terrified she looked.

There are other fuzzy memories from around that time that involve watching TV or feeding ducks at a pond. I know they have to be from when I was about 3 because we moved out of state shortly after I turned 4. My parents telling me that we were going to have to move because of my dad's work is another one of my first memories.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have 2 contending memories for the earliest one.

The one I think I had first was when I was very young, 3 or 4. We were at a friends of the family's house. They had a pool. I remember first wearing a life jacket when swimming in the pool. I then told my parents I didn't want to wear a life jacket, so they gave me those arm floating device things. That wasn't enough for me. I remember my father who had now dressed and was no longer in the pool and I asked my father if he thought I could dunk a basket in the basketball hoop that was on the edge of the pool. I think my dad said I couldn't so I wanted to prove him wrong and I decided to take the little ball in my hands and jump to where the hoop was outstretched over the pool. I didn't think it through tho, because obviously I was like 3 or 4 and I couldn't swim. So my Father had to jump in to save me. I remember he yelled at me afterwards.

Another memory I have that not much really happened in it. Must have been around 1990 (I did the math from when we moved twice). I am 31 now and I was born in 1986 so that would make me 3-4 yo. I remember standing in the front doorway to the house we were moving out of. I asked my father why there was nothing in the house except for a really ugly brown leather couch. I remember at least one of my uncles was there but I can't remember which one. I remember asking who would get the couches that we were leaving in the house (since we were moving). Why I was concerned about who was going to get the couches instead of not being able to live in the same house anymore I really don't know.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have insanely good memory. My earliest memories is crawling around on the floor, and escaping my crib. I have consecutive memories of my first house and before my parents broke up (not sure on ages, but my parents got divorced when I was 3). I have more than 5 distinct memories in this time period. I can even remember how I used to think.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have at least 10 memories when I was 3 or 4. I remember going shopping with my mom and getting this delicious yogurt drink; I remember Christmas morning and also remember thinking that Santa wasn't real; I remember killing a rat with a brick (sorry lil buddy), flying roaches, falling off the bunk bed and going to the hospital, burning a hole in this inflatable toy and then hiding the evidence.

Tomb1

My earliest memory is of seeing the wing of an airplane from a window seat mid-air. I was 2 years old flying with my parents to Miami.

My mom was watching the news from the kitchen while I sat in a high chair(?) nearby in the living room. I was 2 and it was 1974. (Yeah- I’m old) Somehow I remember Richard Nixon was on the TV. It was probably his speech resigning as president after Watergate.

It’s strange I remember that being as young as I was. After that it is only fragments of memories all the way until I was 6.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have extended 'memories' in the sense of remembering an actual event; but I have lots of visual and sensory 'snapshots' of memories from ages 3-6 -- shuffling around the family room floor in fuzzy animal slippers on christmas morning, having gotten disney records to play on a kiddie record player; pots and pans in the kitchen; sticker trading with a neighborhood friend; watching 'The Making of Thriller' in a friend's basement; walking around a copse of trees at dusk before dinner in late autumn in my backyard, remembering the lighting and the smells and crunch of leaves; finding a cool rock at the end of the driveway and keeping it; the feel of nasty seaweed on my toes in the lake; my mom's reaction to the Challenger explosion heard over the car radio when we were driving to my dentist appointment. Hanging out in the lower level of the house with my grandad; snow forts by the driveway. Things like that.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh! And the other day I realized that my earliest memory was earlier.

I went to go see a barney movie when I was 2 and a half and I remember that. I just didnt realize how young I was!

julesiscools

MBTI Type
ISFP
I was four, my best friend in preschool and I were fighting over a toy. She bit me, so I bit her back. :rofl1:

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
When I was two, my sister was born. I remember being at the hospital.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
The real question is; how reliable are those 'memories'? People will say they remember things from when they were young, but most of the time it's because they saw a picture of the situation or because a parent told them about it. Our minds are so easy to trick, even to the point that people will have 'memories' about things that didn't even happen (and no, these people don't have to be mentally ill).

I remember falling down the stairs when I was +-3 years old. I remember putting my water turtle in a toy train kind of thing (but then again, I saw a picture of it).
When I was 3-4 I remember burying my guinea pig in our garden, my mum was digging a hole. I only know I was at least not older than four because that's when my parents decided to separate. :')

When I was three years old I also decided to fuck my face up. I remember this thing so cleary. I had a little scab on my forehead. I looked at my own reflection in the window of my class and I started peeling it of.
Now, 17 years later, I still have a (tiny) scar on my forehead. -_- (But later on I thought it was cool because it looked like the scar Harry Potter has...)

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
You wouldn't believe me if I told you. :shrug:

The Cat

Staff member
And who are you to say so? :dry:

646c583ef5a576bf87d6b103ef5714f9.gif

Care to test my theory?

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I have strange memories surrounding my birth. twas complicated and chord tangly.

*confusion*

You remember being born? Or what do you remember, exactly?

I once thought I had a memory from when I was a baby (few months/weeks old). That my mother took me into an attraction (it was some sort of 'boat' in a dark 'cave'). I 'remember' that I was terrified... Later on (when I was +- 7 years old) I told my mother that I didn't like it, that I was scared and that that was the reason why is was crying back then. :') Though I highly doubt that this is an actual memory.

The Cat

Staff member
*confusion*

You remember being born? Or what do you remember, exactly?

I once thought I had a memory from when I was a baby (few months/weeks old). That my mother took me into an attraction (it was some sort of 'boat' in a dark 'cave'). I 'remember' that I was terrified... Later on (when I was +- 7 years old) I told my mother that I didn't like it, that I was scared and that that was the reason why is was crying back then. :') Though I highly doubt that this is an actual memory.

I have some strange visual tablaus of bright light, the sensations being peaceful, but gradually less into panic as the chord kept wrapping around. Lots of heavy pressure, of the doctor trying to turn me, the wood paneling on the walls of the room with the green scrubs, masks, and hair covers of the doctors and nurses. My family passing me around like a potato and saying things to me. My mother's heartbeat. Flashes mostly.

And I told you you wouldn't believe me. That's fine, were it not me, I might be skeptical myself. :shrug: