User Tag List

Default Hypnotism and conditioning

Does anyone have any good sources on hypnotism? I recently just got rid of two books which were facsimile reproductions of really old sources and there was a lot of mumbo jumbo along with anything useful to tell the truth, I also was not sure if it was useful given that so much had changed between times, I mean so, so much, in terms of social convention, culture, advertising, cinema, television, radio, internet, all of which I consider to be pretty significant.

Next to that I was wondering about conditioning, I remember encountering someone in the nineties who had this bizarre vision, a mix of obscure splinter group marxism from the Sparticus League (I think they are influenced by Rosa Luxemburg, anyway it seemed like old fashioned design for life and blue prints for living stuff) but they also were big, big into the founder of Behaviourism's original vision of social conditioning, like they outlined in Walden Two (although obviously not too closely as Skinner wasnt a marxist), and I was beginning to wonder the extent to which that theory could be applied, like how much of that theory was the theory stand alone, or how much of it had actually been the theory as perceived by the person talking about it.

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I like to read stuff by Paul McKenna who is a British hypnotist. I used to read this book by him and it got me to sleep within 10 minutes. I still use it. Thinking about it... I need to form a better bedtime routine around it. I'm sure he has other great stuff too. He knows how to use the power of suggestion exceptionally well.::

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w1

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    I like to read stuff by Paul McKenna who is a British hypnotist. I used to read this book by him and it got me to sleep within 10 minutes. I still use it. Thinking about it... I need to form a better bedtime routine around it. I'm sure he has other great stuff too. He knows how to use the power of suggestion exceptionally well.::

Evidence of the global power of the interwebs... While I (a Brit) am aware of Paul McKenna, I hadn't the slightest idea this book existed. Thank you so much! It will save me abusing my favourite reading matter (as much as I love it, Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" never fails to have a similar effect, but the nightmares which follow... *Eeeeesh!*)
    Likes biohazard liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMin View Post
    Evidence of the global power of the interwebs... While I (a Brit) am aware of Paul McKenna, I hadn't the slightest idea this book existed. Thank you so much! It will save me abusing my favourite reading matter (as much as I love it, Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" never fails to have a similar effect, but the nightmares which follow... *Eeeeesh!*)
    Oh no!! Only positive thoughts before bed!! You're welcome though. I hope it helps you as much as it has for me.
    Likes DarkMin liked this post

I'd forgotten about him, he was kind of the light to Darren Brown's dark when it comes to stage hypnosis, like he didnt convince anyone they had murdered someone, they just had them eat a raw onion and imagine it was a juicey new red apple, I've seen a bunch of his books on different topics but never thought about them on this occasion. I think I'll look them out.

I finished reading Clockwork Orange recently and was thinking about whether or not something like it would ever exist in real life.