• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reading between the lines

Is it possible to read a person's personality, character, problem between the lines?

• Yes, it is possible.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, it is impossible.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is partly possible.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Lines are only phrases.

• Words are deepest expression of the soul.

• Every writing, not only poetry, can express one a person's feeling.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Is it important when topics are recurrent in some way?

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I do not believe in such a nonsense.

• How might that be possible?

• I am quite neutral concerning this theme.

• Total voters

Eternal Harmony

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some people state that they have the ability to "read between the lines".
That means by studying writings, reading and comparing thouroughly, they are able to tell a person's character, personality or even problems the person might have - all hidden in their writings = hidden messages between the lines.
I am going to put up a poll as well, where you can click one of your "possibilities" and I would be glad to read in the comments more about why you have ticked which answer or if you do not tick any answer what you are thinking about in general.

How I came to post such a topic and such a poll ... I feel there is some actual reason ... (just for the explanation of it).

EDIT: I have enlarged the poll, so that you have multiple choice to click.

Last edited:

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well this is an important part when we think about the "what"s psychoanalytic thought emprically bases its foundations on and it's possible to see some psychoanalysts to reach to the depths of one's character by using this methodology with other tools concerning this situation by observing the process of analysis, practicing the process of analysis or letting yourself to be psychoanalyzed or just reading the works of the analysts in question. So, my answer is yes.

I do for sure. In real life I've also been told that I'm not direct enough and people often have to read beyond what I say. In regards to other people, I try to find other reasons for possible conclusions and then perhaps a process of elimination of sorts of the most likely scenario rather than simply taking something by word directly.

Additionally, I do my artwork in the same format with multiple meanings dressed up in symbolism. For me it's like a shield that provides some protection, as this form of expressing myself wouldn't be so obvious to most people and therefore I'd feel less vulnerable in the process.

How you say something is as important as what you say. What you don’t say about things you discuss is also telling. Absolutely you can read between the lines. You can determine quite a bit about people online if you have a large enough sampling of their writing. We’re all giving away quite a bit on here.

Eternal Harmony

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just wanted to say inbetween that some answers here to read are really interesting in a way.
Go ahead :)

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is possible. Howeve, it's usually time consuming and I really can only do it after spending a substantial amount of time talking to someone. One thing I'm good at is figuring out what motivates or scares people by what they say. Often, there are reoccurring themes in both categories for all humans. Lots of people fear being alone or unloved or are driven by a desire to be loved and cared for. I can pattern recognize these people quite easily after I get to know them well. There is just a similarity that I can't describe.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I pay more attention to what people do vs what people say. Actions, they lie less therefore, less need to read between the lines.

Metis

It is partly possible.

It's possible to read between the lines, but it's also easy to misread between the lines. There are things you can learn only by reading into things, and there are things that need clarification, such as a yes/no response or a direct, often verbal, clarification/explanation from the person. People make a lot of untrue assumptions about others, while thinking that they're reading between the lines. It helps to have data from both and weigh the evidence. Sometimes, an assumption is plenty enough to go on in order to make a practical decision, such as in the "Being rude can save your life" thread, where posters have described instances in which they've leaned toward (or "erred" in the direction of) either politeness or personal safety. But at other times, more information is needed to come to an accurate (or close enough) conclusion or to decide a reasonable course of action.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I focus much more on the actions as well. I find that to be the most honest giveaway in person.

I do have a habit of reading between the lines when I'm stuck in my feelings. As for how I mean to come across, I actually say things very matter-of-fact and non-chalantantly. I'm usually more apathetic until you get to know me. So I notice that people can really misunderstand my intentions because of that.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is partly possible.

It's possible to read between the lines, but it's also easy to misread between the lines. There are things you can learn only by reading into things, and there are things that need clarification, such as a yes/no response or a direct, often verbal, clarification/explanation from the person. People make a lot of untrue assumptions about others, while thinking that they're reading between the lines. It helps to have data from both and weigh the evidence. Sometimes, an assumption is plenty enough to go on in order to make a practical decision, such as in the "Being rude can save your life" thread, where posters have described instances in which they've leaned toward (or "erred" in the direction of) either politeness or personal safety. But at other times, more information is needed to come to an accurate (or close enough) conclusion or to decide a reasonable course of action.

This