• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and patience.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... virtually everyone here is between 90 and 110.
How can you say that when several people in this thread said their IQ was at 130 or higher?

Mole

Permabanned
Most of the people here are abnormal, in my opinion.

Maybe you are right. But where there are abnormal people, there are subnormal people. And usually they are 50:50.

In fact half of us are abnormal and half are subnormal.

But we all cluster in the middle round 90:110.

But of course we are playing musical chairs and no one wants to be subnormal, so we all rush for the abnormal chairs.

And the irony is that, almost every last one of us, is normal.

Mole

Permabanned
How can you say that when several people in this thread said their IQ was at 130 or higher?

I know they say their IQs are 130+ but not one of them has paid to be tested by a qualified, professional psychometrician.

But an IQ is an average so if I put my money on the average, I am more likely to back a winner.

Let's face it, in a free market economy, your first job is to sell yourself. Your first job is to turn yourself into an object - a desirable object.

So what is more desirable, the subnormal or the gifted?

So far the bids are 130+, but no non compos mentis.

So remember the rule of the free market - caveat emptor.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
This means that virtually everyone here is between 90 and 110.

IQ has a SD of 15 - 90-100 does not include virutally everyone even in the general population.

Sure, MBTIc is self selecting. And pehaps it selects for IQ.

It does. It is likely that the range of IQs on MBTIc is between 100 and 140, with a few outliers above that.

Mole

Permabanned
IQ has a SD of 15 - 90-100 does not include virutally everyone even in the general population.

It does. It is likely that the range of IQs on MBTIc is between 100 and 140, with a few outliers above that.

There is no way to know unless a psychometric survey of members is taken.

But there is reason to be skeptical as it is more flattering to be between 100:140 than to be between 60:100.

Look, we have members not so shyly admitting to 140 but not one member even shyly admitting to 60.

So would you be prepared to put your money on flattery or back 75:115 ?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
But there is reason to be skeptical as it is more flattering to be between 100:140 than to be between 60:100.

No, that is not a reason to be skeptical. The degree of flattering-ness is meaningless.

Look, we have members not so shyly admitting to 140 but not one member even shyly admitting to 60.

No. There are three major factors on why I state that range.

1) The ability to use a computer/post/etc sets a floor
2) The dominance of Ns sets a smaller range for IQs
3) The topics of interest are not those normally used by below-average IQs.

The range I stated is likely correct (120, SD ~7-9, skewed right).

Mole

Permabanned
No, that is not a reason to be skeptical. The degree of flattering-ness is meaningless.

No. There are three major factors on why I state that range.

1) The ability to use a computer/post/etc sets a floor
2) The dominance of Ns sets a smaller range for IQs
3) The topics of interest are not those normally used by below-average IQs.

The range I stated is likely correct (120, SD ~7-9, skewed right).

Perhaps you are right.

But I confess a certain affection for the non compos but here I am surrounded by the bright and the gifted.

Will heaven be like this, do you think? Will we be surrounded by the bright and the gifted while the non compos are hidden away, tucked away, down below - just like the mad women in the attic.

Is MBTIc a taste of heaven? Sometimes I think it is.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Will heaven be like this, do you think? Will we be surrounded by the bright and the gifted while the non compos are hidden away, tucked away, down below - just like the mad women in the attic.

Is MBTIc a taste of heaven? Sometimes I think it is.
Surely you jest.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The average intelligence quotient is 100. This means that half of all people are above 100 and half below.

Also the intelligence quotient is distributed along a bell curve which means almost everybody is in the middle and almost no one is at either end.

This means that virtually everyone here is between 90 and 110.

Sure, MBTIc is self selecting. And pehaps it selects for IQ.

However MBTI is a world wide cult so it is more likely to select for gullibility.

But, I can hear you saying that gullibility does not preclude a high IQ.

And this is true - as the best and brightest are often attracted to cults.

So perhaps you are right. Maybe MBTIc does select for gullibility and intelligence.

But I think it is more likely that we have a normal intelligence profile on MBTIc, that is, 90 to 110.

But who knows?

There is no way to know unless a psychometric survey of members is taken.

the very fact people here are on a computer kind of leans towards everyone here being at least of HS graduate level. (most people here will be above 100 regardless of your statistical analysis *check*).

i would say a majority of people here are capable of graduating college (that moves up most people here to having a floor of 115 *check*)

all of the above would be true even if this was just some random other topic on a message board with college grad type people...so now throw in that it is full of intuits and its not the least bit ridiculous to think the avg could be 130 + or - a deviation of 10.

something tells me you forgot about hidden variables that affect the population. life is not a completely random sample.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Victor, I think there is a point to the intelligence quotient demographics. If I were to walk out the door and talk to ten people, I would be less impressed by their obvious intellect than spending some time on the average message board, and especially one built around a mental construct such as MBTI.

I would estimate that very few here inhabit the far side of the curve.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't fancy this topic a lot, perhaps because I've seen a decline in both IQ and my interest in it. Anyways, about 142 IQ with standard deviation of 15, or about 161 with stdev of 24.

I've been extremely impatient, and learned not to expect much from people. I'm still often impatient for having to wait people, having to wait their responses.. and overall, having to talk to relatively uneducated people about a academic subject. Folk logic makes me sick; it's an eternal trap for those who can't maintain a valid system theory.

Lately, my impatience have surfaced mostly because of difference in I-E spectrum; I've given people some slack, and I don't expect them to understand much of anything, or to be very educated on mostly anything outside their profession. I haven't totally closed out strong Is from my life, though - my girlfriend is one relatively strong I - so I'm getting impatient more because of high E now.

Mole

Permabanned
Victor, I think there is a point to the intelligence quotient demographics. If I were to walk out the door and talk to ten people, I would be less impressed by their obvious intellect than spending some time on the average message board, and especially one built around a mental construct such as MBTI.

I would estimate that very few here inhabit the far side of the curve.

Well, I've done my best. I've thrown doubt around like bags of feathers. I've called on heaven and hell. But I have fooled no one.

You have seen right through me. You devils! You know, "The Far Side", is nothing but a comic strip.

I tried to fool you with a last throw of the dice - no, I didn't consult Ms Palin - I put on my last attempt at a comic turn - but no one laughed.

Not even a giggle.

That's why we need Affirmative Action for the subies, for the non compos - for simple balance and common decency.

We need, we definitely need, people who will laugh at my jokes and never think of proving me wrong.

Trust no one over thirty? No, trust no one over 85.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well, I've done my best. I've thrown doubt around like bags of feathers. I've called on heaven and hell. But I have fooled no one.

You have seen right through me. You devils! You know, "The Far Side", is nothing but a comic strip.

I tried to fool you with a last throw of the dice - no, I didn't consult Ms Palin - I put on my last attempt at a comic turn - but no one laughed.

Not even a giggle.

That's why we need Affirmative Action for the subies, for the non compos - for simple balance and common decency.

We need, we definitely need, people who will laugh at my jokes and never think of proving me wrong.

Trust no one over thirty? No, trust no one over 85.

Verrueckt

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Well, my IQ is about ±145, but I don't really trust it. IQ is based mostly on mathematical reasoning and other concrete areas of intelligence, which only makes up part of what real, complete intelligence actually is.

For instance, I know many very analytical people who have absolutely no sense nor ability to apply what they learn to a broader scope beyond their field of study.

So basically, I'd say that anyone can know any amount of technical reasoning skills, but there is always more to gain by being patient enough to see from a different perspective. The inability to do so may be a sign that, while they may be very intelligent, they still have a lot to learn in an area they may have not yet considered.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well, my IQ is about ±145, but I don't really trust it. IQ is based mostly on mathematical reasoning and other concrete areas of intelligence, which only makes up part of what real, complete intelligence actually is.

For instance, I know many very analytical people who have absolutely no sense nor ability to apply what they learn to a broader scope beyond their field of study.

So basically, I'd say that anyone can know any amount of technical reasoning skills, but there is always more to gain by being patient enough to see from a different perspective. The inability to do so may be a sign that, while they may be very intelligent, they still have a lot to learn in an area they may have not yet considered.

Very well said. I definitely feel the same, that impatience is a lack of wisdom and experience, even though it is not necessarily a lack of intelligence. It's a childish way of being, and many adults have this quality. Rather than accepting it for the way it is, or attempting to change themselves (I am a firm believer that you can only truly force changes and actions through yourself.).. they simply look over those that require patience and seek the escape and sympathies of like-minded people. Much the way children do.

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
Very well said. I definitely feel the same, that impatience is a lack of wisdom and experience, even though it is not necessarily a lack of intelligence. It's a childish way of being, and many adults have this quality. Rather than accepting it for the way it is, or attempting to change themselves (I am a firm believer that you can only truly force changes and actions through yourself.).. they simply look over those that require patience and seek the escape and sympathies of like-minded people. Much the way children do.
And that is insulting. It's similar to telling a woman that it's her fault for being raped.