• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you've ever been suicidal would you've wanted someone to bring religion up

would you like someone to bring up religion if you're suicidal?

• I've been suicidal, no

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • I've been suicidal,yes

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I've not been suicidal,no

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I've not been suicidal,yes

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I've been suicidal, I don't know

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I've not been suicidal, I don't know

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

á´…eparted

passages
I'm not asking about other people, I'm asking about personally and that would fit with i don't know.

If someone brought up my beliefs in the throws of things it would actually be kind of risky. I don't exactly find atheism to be a big source of comfort.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It would depend. If I felt the person was genuinely not trying to upset me but was offering to help me/be supportive... in the only way they knew how or best knew how... I dont know.

It would hurt me on some level- a twinge of feeling judged and misunderstood... but sometimes people just dont know what to say and sometimes... well because of that... say something they dont realize is insensitive.

So it depends. If the person had good intentions... I would appreciate that I think. Not the mesaage but why they were saying it to me.

So it would depend. But it probably would rub me the wrong way if it seemed dismissive ... which I find can happen when it comes to people and religion. Its easy to separate yourself and judge when you feel you have this giant, you believe superior body of knowledge to throw at someome.

No. I would want a human connection, not someone spouting scripture. Despair, fear, emotional pain are all very human conditions. I’d want someone to approach it as a very human issue.

This may be a little off topic but men in particular are very unlikely to speak about suicidal thoughts. Unfortunately they’re much more inclined to completely withdraw and either act upon the idea or sort it out by themselves. It’s very dangerous and I’ve known a couple of guys that simply acted. The most recent being a childhood friend a few years ago. It’s sad.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As someone who's been in a few dark spaces on my time I would not want relgion but rather real and genuine connection and I wave to talk my feelings not some stricture or inpersonal text. I don't wholly discount relgion though as I will take help from someone who uses relgion but adapted to their own style. I just want someone in my darkest moments to give me a hug and let me cry on their shoulder and listen to me.

Lark

Going by what people's said there's not a lot of good experiences of religion out there and a lot of experiences of religion at its worst.

Also hearing a lot of people experienced some serious distress in their lives.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Wouldn't this be a critical piece of info one would need if they were trying to help a suicidal person? Knowing if they were religious or not would likely dictate the next step. It's one reason medical staff often asks it as one of the first questions.

Personally, bringing religion into any crisis I was having, is a terrible idea.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure. Although I would never tell anyone about being suicidal in the first place, I would just kill myself. And on that, if I genuinely wanted to kill myself I'm certain no one could deter me in almost any way. So in terms of efficacy, bringing up religion would be a neutral move and one as neutral as any other. It would not pan out due to it's undefined state in my mind with regards to internal conflicts around it.

Lark

Wouldn't this be a critical piece of info one would need if they were trying to help a suicidal person? Knowing if they were religious or not would likely dictate the next step. It's one reason medical staff often asks it as one of the first questions.

Personally, bringing religion into any crisis I was having, is a terrible idea.

I think you are right about this, for me, and I mean this in a highly individual and personal sense as I dont for a moment mean to speak for all believers, suicide is a mortal sin, it was Judas' sin, not the betrayal of Christ which depending on who you ask was preordained but his own despairing of hope of forgiveness or redemption.

So if anyone ever tells you I've ended my days that way, you had better know a murderous conspiracy is afoot.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would depend on the manner in which it was done. It would be helpful for me personally as long as the message was one of hope, not of scorn.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When someone is in that much psychological distress, it seems like common sense that they need someone to listen to them and not be lectured at, preached to, or given any kind of information dump.

Lark

It would depend on the manner in which it was done. It would be helpful for me personally as long as the message was one of hope, not of scorn.

Religion is all hope for me rather than scorn, although I know there is this other nasty version out there and it would seem lots of other people are more acquainted with it.

Icaro10100

If you're suicidal and someone brings up Islam, you can at least be happy that you will get a harem of virgins just for you.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
No, absolutley not.

As a content person, I am insulted enough when the mormans apply the “ Do you not believe in God because he let’s bad th8ngs happen?”

Ugh. No. I am not a weak willed person who needs to be comforted. I understand the world is a chaotic place abd shit just happens. I don’t need be coddled to deal with existence.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not appreciate people bringing up religion when I am suicidal, it is very unhelpful and rather irritating.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I heard "You need Jesus" my entire life and don't want to hear it, why would I want to hear it again before I die? Religion is the majority of what fucked my life up so much with my current issues anyways, fuck religion. If I never got involved I'd be in a much better position right now.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think I would care, because a person's intentions are still good. Even if it would do nothing for me, the prospect of future thinking and interactions with religion might distract me from my pain. Because if I really wanted to end it all, it would have to be after I have failed to embrace all other options for recovery.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I'm not religious, so no. My heart's already starting to race only by thinking about it. Good thing that most people here aren't religious. None of my close friends are.

If you see 'spirituality' as religion; then I could live with it. Depending on what they offer/say.

Though I think that a lot of people don't understand how suicidality works, what it feels like. I have been suicidal, still am from time to time. But even I forget what it felt like. I only know that it's horrible and that I don't want to feel it ever again.

Now for me personally, there are different types of suicidality. Not gonna explain them here because it's kinda offtopic. The one I experience the most is this slow 'chronic' one like depression. Dying seems fine to me but I won't put any effort in it.

Sung Jin-Woo; I think it's cool to be able to think like that. I personally don't care about someone's intentions. Because intent doesn't equal impact.
I would rather see them as selfish and not empathic, because they obviously don't understand that it's not what you need right now. I would probably even disdain them for making such a stupid 'offer'.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Tough to know if I've ever really been suicidal or not. I've convinced people that I was and spent time in hospitals because of it. But I think I couldn't go through with it because I'm too skeptical and fear there is nothing else. Why would I obliterate myself?

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been suicidal, and I have had people bring up religion to me, and all it did was make me more unstable at the moment. It made me want to kill myself more, really.

Hearing about how killing myself would make me go to hell (even though I don't believe in any sort of afterlife) just pissed me off. Hearing about how a greater being has a "purpose" planned for me that isn't suicide had no effect on me. If you tell me about something I never believed in and thought of negatively during a time where I'm not thinking clearly, of course I'm going to view it even more negatively.

It also does depend on how religion is being brought up. But honestly, during my suicidal times, I wouldn't even listen to people who had the best of intentions even if I agree with them under normal circumstances. So I'm not sure why I would listen to someone I don't agree with since religion is evidently a big part of their life whereas I have no place for it in mine.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
have you accepted taco bell chihuahua as your personal lord and savior?