• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you've ever been suicidal would you've wanted someone to bring religion up

would you like someone to bring up religion if you're suicidal?

• I've been suicidal, no

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • I've been suicidal,yes

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I've not been suicidal,no

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I've not been suicidal,yes

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I've been suicidal, I don't know

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I've not been suicidal, I don't know

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this poll is completely anonymous but if you want to give your reasons why or why not feel free to post.

I would not, because when I was i felt a ton of guilt and shame and that would've just pissed me off and made me feel more guilt and not actually make me less suicidal.

edit: since people are answering what they'd do for other people, i'm NOT asking that. I'm asking what your preference is for you personally. I know it depends on the individual.

Last edited:

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like bringing up religion would be condescending especially since Christianity in general (I know that's not the only religion, but the most likely way someone would bring up religion for me) suicide is not looked upon favorably. I would only bring up religion if the said person was super religious.

Warrior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I've been suicidal many times before, but often what stopped me was the gruesome Islamic descriptions of hell. I'm still Muslim, so I still wouldn't. I've tried to get around that before by saying, "I'll only take enough sleeping pills to make me go into a coma" but then again, my family could always pull the plug......

Beorn

Permabanned
I would want them to bring up MY religion.
Whether it's something to bring up is a case by case issue depending on the individual and the situation.

Atomic Fiend

Well if anything it'd expiediate the resolution, whatever that may be. Just throw in some right wing politics and you'd be sure to end it one way more then the other.

NO. That would do absolutely nothing and would probably drive me even further to off myself.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would not want them to bring up religion or God at the most vulnerable period of my life. I just want them to listen to what I have to say, and just let me be myself.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Been there, had that happen, and I can give a nice solid nope to that one

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh no I misunderstood the poll and voted wrong :doh:

It would not help me prpl, for the record.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not suprised by the results, i think why it was so different in my class was because i live in the bible belt.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had someone bring up religion very unsuccessfully and offensively while I was suicidal and someone else bring it up in a way that was helpful when I was suicidal at a different point. So it depends on the suicidal person, the person bringing it up, how they go about it, and a lot of other factors.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had someone bring up religion very unsuccessfully and offensively while I was suicidal and someone else bring it up in a way that was helpful when I was suicidal at a different point. So it depends on the suicidal person, the person bringing it up, how they go about it, and a lot of other factors.

this.

I've been suicidal, and I had someone who brought God into it in a very loving, compassionate way which was helpful. I have no doubt though seen some people misguidedly bring God into it and do it in such an insensitive fashion that it just should not have happened.

So it vaires on person, how it is brought up, etc. Too many factors for a black and white answer.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this.

I've been suicidal, and I had someone who brought God into it in a very loving, compassionate way which was helpful. I have no doubt though seen some people misguidedly bring God into it and do it in such an insensitive fashion that it just should not have happened.

So it vaires on person, how it is brought up, etc. Too many factors for a black and white answer.

I'm not asking about other people, I'm asking about personally and that would fit with i don't know.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not asking about other people, I'm asking about personally and that would fit with i don't know.

personally, my faith is a huge part of my life, so as long as it is done in a fair fashion I would appreciate someone bringing my faith into it.

Enneagram
9w1
Using your religion first and foremost is basically saying "I don't have the time to understand your issue so I'm just gonna treat you like I would everybody else, the way I want to treat you"

But it can be used well if you are a good person yourself.

What I'm saying is: don't be a copypasta, spamming the same message for everyone and not taking into account individuals

Lark

I'd much prefer that they listen and do something to safeguard than talk to me about religion or anything like that.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not religious in any way but I think I wouldn't be appalled if I can see someone bringing religion up not in a copypasta way like Terralynn mentioned, but because they genuinely want to help and hope this would help me. But even if that were the case, I wouldn't really know what to do with it. Honestly, I just can't believe in God, even if my life depended on it. To me it's always come across as a made-up story that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm a pure Atheist at heart and wouldn't want it any other way, really - so long story short, no. Then again I can't think of anything anyone could say to help me in that kind of situation. I dunno. With me it's like when I'm in huge crisis, I'm in huge crisis and noone can help me but myself. When it's not that serious a lot of friends/things can help, though and I must add, I'm really good at cheering myself up and battling my way through adversities, so I think it's not very likely I'll ever get into that serious situation.