User Tag List

View Poll Results: would you like someone to bring up religion if you're suicidal?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've been suicidal, no

25 60.98%
  • I've been suicidal,yes

6 14.63%
  • I've not been suicidal,no

6 14.63%
  • I've not been suicidal,yes

2 4.88%
  • I've been suicidal, I don't know

2 4.88%
  • I've not been suicidal, I don't know

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm not asking about other people, I'm asking about personally and that would fit with i don't know.
    If someone brought up my beliefs in the throws of things it would actually be kind of risky. I don't exactly find atheism to be a big source of comfort.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

It would depend. If I felt the person was genuinely not trying to upset me but was offering to help me/be supportive... in the only way they knew how or best knew how... I dont know.

It would hurt me on some level- a twinge of feeling judged and misunderstood... but sometimes people just dont know what to say and sometimes... well because of that... say something they dont realize is insensitive.

So it depends. If the person had good intentions... I would appreciate that I think. Not the mesaage but why they were saying it to me.

So it would depend. But it probably would rub me the wrong way if it seemed dismissive ... which I find can happen when it comes to people and religion. Its easy to separate yourself and judge when you feel you have this giant, you believe superior body of knowledge to throw at someome.
    Likes prplchknz, Amethyst Archon liked this post

No. I would want a human connection, not someone spouting scripture. Despair, fear, emotional pain are all very human conditions. I’d want someone to approach it as a very human issue.

This may be a little off topic but men in particular are very unlikely to speak about suicidal thoughts. Unfortunately they’re much more inclined to completely withdraw and either act upon the idea or sort it out by themselves. It’s very dangerous and I’ve known a couple of guys that simply acted. The most recent being a childhood friend a few years ago. It’s sad.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker

Bismuth's Pumpkin Pie 🥧 Amethyst Archon's Avatar
    Enneagram
    712 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

As someone who's been in a few dark spaces on my time I would not want relgion but rather real and genuine connection and I wave to talk my feelings not some stricture or inpersonal text. I don't wholly discount relgion though as I will take help from someone who uses relgion but adapted to their own style. I just want someone in my darkest moments to give me a hug and let me cry on their shoulder and listen to me.
    Likes Frosty, prplchknz liked this post

Going by what people's said there's not a lot of good experiences of religion out there and a lot of experiences of religion at its worst.

Also hearing a lot of people experienced some serious distress in their lives.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Wouldn't this be a critical piece of info one would need if they were trying to help a suicidal person? Knowing if they were religious or not would likely dictate the next step. It's one reason medical staff often asks it as one of the first questions.

Personally, bringing religion into any crisis I was having, is a terrible idea.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Sure. Although I would never tell anyone about being suicidal in the first place, I would just kill myself. And on that, if I genuinely wanted to kill myself I'm certain no one could deter me in almost any way. So in terms of efficacy, bringing up religion would be a neutral move and one as neutral as any other. It would not pan out due to it's undefined state in my mind with regards to internal conflicts around it.

「」
    Likes magpie liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Wouldn't this be a critical piece of info one would need if they were trying to help a suicidal person? Knowing if they were religious or not would likely dictate the next step. It's one reason medical staff often asks it as one of the first questions.

Personally, bringing religion into any crisis I was having, is a terrible idea.
    I think you are right about this, for me, and I mean this in a highly individual and personal sense as I dont for a moment mean to speak for all believers, suicide is a mortal sin, it was Judas' sin, not the betrayal of Christ which depending on who you ask was preordained but his own despairing of hope of forgiveness or redemption.

So if anyone ever tells you I've ended my days that way, you had better know a murderous conspiracy is afoot.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

It would depend on the manner in which it was done. It would be helpful for me personally as long as the message was one of hope, not of scorn.
    Likes magpie, Lark liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

When someone is in that much psychological distress, it seems like common sense that they need someone to listen to them and not be lectured at, preached to, or given any kind of information dump.
    bunny omi