User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Alcoholism: Do you think or feel alcoholism and substance abuse is a weakness or

Do you think or feel alcoholism and substance abuse is a weakness or a disease?

We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.” Carl Jung

MBTI
    KWML

I think all genetically inherited diseases are a weakness in that line. Alcoholism is a weakness.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

You could say that addiction is a psychological weakness, that's about as far as that theory goes. Alcoholism has been considered an illness since the 1950's so I don't think many health care professionals will approach this from a weakness that needs tough love aspect either. My own feeling is that there are addictive personalities and that the one size fits all treatment for alcoholism often replaces one addiction with another. Treatments like AA do not address any of the psychiatric and biochemical issues at the root of chronic alcoholism. Most treatment is not in sync with the medical data and research. Until then, the best approach is going to be addiction replacement, hopefully with a less destructive addiction.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    yupp

I feel it's a disease. and calling someone weak for being an alcholic just makes it worse, a lot of them if they could stop probably would stop. you can be a heavy drinker and if you're able to quit with little to no problem then you're not an acholoic but if you can't and/or get withrawl symptoms than you are one and need help, if you go through withdrawl you probably need to go to a detox center because you can die.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes thepumpkinpot, Frosty, Novella liked this post

Rock'n'Write.Day'n'Night. thepumpkinpot's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

I think it depends on the circumstances though. I've met people who are irresponsible and immature and have a wha wha woe is me kind of attitude and drown their problems in alcohol rather than adress the problems at hand because that's easier and doesn't force them to stretch themselves.
    Then I met people with really tragic stories that lost all control in their lives and turned to alcohol out of helplesness. There's a difference between those. There was once a man I met who couldn't get to cope with his cancer diagnosis and started to drink heavily. Vs one I met who partied too much as a teenager and got suspended from school because he was missing too often and instead of just going back to school a few years later he mooched off of his wive after his parents threw him out of the house and sat at home drinking all day long while she was working and demanded her to listen to him pitying himself because his arents threw him out of the house.
    Both cases certainly need help, but different ones. One needs a big kick in the ass and the other ones a less tough approach.
    If I'm saint, then you're heaven
    My only
    If I'm a waste, then you're golden
    My only
    If I'm a shame, then you're bolder than all of me
    If I'm a saint, then you're heaven
    My only

Cement for all of our teeth

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Please ignore certain spelling and grammatical errors, English is not my mother tongue.
    Likes Crystal Winter Dream liked this post

twink propaganda agentwashington's Avatar
    MBTI
    mbti
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    SNL None

Do i think they deserve compassion? yes

Do I want to be the one to give compassion? Pay me and maybe

So
    Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    — Richard Siken

We are extraordinary people
    — Garbage

Your Results
    “THE LOGICIAN” (INTP-T) 86% INTROVERTED 56% INTUITIVE 79% THINKING 67% PROSPECTING 57% TURBULENT
    Note: Test result may not reflect actual MBTI type.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Neither.

It’s a symptom - a coping mechanism for a problem they dont know how to deal with any other way.

And yes, they deserve help and understanding as beating these types of things is a bitch and a hell of a lot of work - especially as our society actively hampers the headway you make on this shit, imho. Especiallly in the begining it can feel completely hopeless, making it that much easier to crawl back into the bottle.

That said, the person has to want to work on it - you cant help them before. And it is possible, like any good parent does, to be firm ( to avoid enabling) yet gentle ( to pull them out od their isolation as social relationships are a good start in being an alternative to booze ) with people who suffer from this problem.

Meanwhile, if you re not able to emotionally remove yourself from the situation and their drinking hampers your welbeing, please don't feel guilty if you leave it to others.
    Last edited by Amargith; 11-02-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Alcoholism is best thought of as a disease because it affects physical and mental wellness similarly to how most well-documented medical maladies do.

However, weakness of character may increase one's chances of succumbing to this illness.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Winter in Your Soul Crystal Winter Dream's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    127 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I have issues with calling alcoholism a disease. Substance abuse is not a disease. As someone above stated, it actually often ends up being more of a SYMPTOM of something else rather than a disease of its own. But in essence, doing something like this is a CHOICE...So to me, alcoholism is more of a choice. Now whether you are in the rational mindset to decide about that choice fully varies from person to person. I do also think addictive personalities come into play (which is why I am not ever going to drink alcohol. Alcoholism runs in my family, I have an addictive personality, and I have anxiety with depression so it is an all around bad idea considering I had former self-harm issues which is an addiction of its own.) But in essence to call it a disease to me insults people with a real disease. They didn't choose to have a disease, or they cannot easily cure theirs. Addiction is not a disease. To become addicted to something you made the choice to partake, and whether you like it or not you have to take responsibility for your choices.
    Winter Solstice (A feeling): Finding the brute of yourself while enduring the brute of the world.
    ENFP (Ne-Fi-Te-Si)
    CORE 1w2. TRITYPE 1w2 2w3 7w6.
    Slytherin
    and almost 100% in neurotic on the big 5.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Winter Dream View Post
    . Addiction is not a disease. To become addicted to something you made the choice to partake, and whether you like it or not you have to take responsibility for your choices.
    If you have a chemical imbalance that compels you to engage in substance abuse, how are you different from those whose cognitive constitution compels them to be depressed, obsessive-compulsive or schizophrenic?

The only difference I see is in the outward dysfunctionalities displayed in each case. Yet, the underlying pattern is the same: the individual suffers from a chemical imbalance in the brain in a way that promotes disorderly behavior.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/
    Likes ceecee, Frosty, chickpea, The Grey Wizard liked this post