• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alcoholism: Do you think or feel alcoholism and substance abuse is a weakness or

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think or feel alcoholism and substance abuse is a weakness or a disease?

We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.” Carl Jung

I do think a predisposition to it is inherited.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I do think a predisposition to it is inherited.
I tend to agree with this, it is so fascinating the traits we can inherit or that we slowly begin to realize are totally gene related.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“It is an imperative in this day and age to come to grips with a preliminary understanding on the true nature of alcoholism. It is almost certainly not a sign of weakness, rather manifestations of the soul crying out. The alternatives are to have resentment, hatred and fear along with the specter called self-righteousness, which isn't true self reflection. It isn't understanding and shows a pronounced of shown ignorance.
If we can't understand alcoholism, then at least we should not perpetuate ignorance. We can at least delve and find answers for it manifesting.

We can't absolve the criminal behavior perpetuated by people under an influence. Where is any compassion whatsoever on what is termed The Buddha Nature or if you claim to be as Christian-then where are your Jesus-like qualities? “Let’s say judge a poor person (substance abuse plus alcohol related illnesses) who is tormented with things we cannot even begin to understand shows our own lack of understanding. Thus we corrupt our self by judgment, and a harsh attitude.

We need to endeavor to act maturely and with restraint. If I hurt you, I hurt myself, perhaps not noticeably, but I missed an opportunity for growth. Perhaps it will take longer for them on the path of life to mature, reflect, and with insight grow. If we think, speak, or act in a negative manner then the opportunity is lost. The message is lost, but it will undoubtedly reappear until you learn the lesson about you. This moment in space and time was brought together for you to learn this valuable lesson of self, in order to grow and actualize.

Do not throw this precious moment away by reacting with your baser instincts. Reach, grow, become. Reach for this inner learning. Grow with this wisdom and become what you were meant to be.”
"It is so obvious that all are definitely so obviously imperfect. Judging is an obvious sign of ignorance, that is to say not really understanding. We nee to focus on walking are own path for it alone is within our grasp. Anything else does contribute to the evil and ignorance in this world.

“If a person is on a dissimilar journey then they have lessons to learn which are different from yours. We should be cognizant of this and not judge. For he or she who judges, only fools self which is a tragedy. Why is it a tragedy? We are so blind searching for the light and when we judge we only lengthen our journey.”

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weakness. If you don't have enough willpower and self-awareness to conquer your own afflictions, and you can recognize them as such, shame on you. Calling it a disease sounds like a way to absolve yourself of any sense of self-responsibility. We are fully sentient beings and masters of our own destiny.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Weakness. If you don't have enough willpower and self-awareness to conquer your own afflictions, and you can recognize them as such, shame on you. Calling it a disease sounds like a way to absolve yourself of any sense of self-responsibility. We are fully sentient beings and masters of our own destiny.
Or, calling it a disease might make someone more willing to address it, as it removes the moral judgment, and turns it into "just" another health problem like diabetes or poor eyesight. Any medical problem should be treated, especially if (like poor eyesight) it has a negative impact on one's life and actions.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or, calling it a disease might make someone more willing to address it, as it removes the moral judgment, and turns it into "just" another health problem like diabetes or poor eyesight. Any medical problem should be treated, especially if (like poor eyesight) it has a negative impact on one's life and actions.

Poor eyesight is not self inflicted, and given possible genetic predisposition, perhaps neither is diabetes. Conquering alcoholism requires one to acknowledge said behavior is a) negatively affecting one's overall quality of life, and b) taking conscious, proactive measures and lifestyle changes to separate yourself from temptation

If you can't admit or refuse to accept personality responsibility for your addiction and classify it as a disease which implies some factor outside of your control, how can you persevere the mental and emotional components of addiction needed to maintain sobriety.

On some level, I just imagine you would have to introspect enough to say "Hey, something is wrong with me and I need to fix this, and unless I fix this I stand to potentially suffer lots of negative consequences in my life."

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Poor eyesight is not self inflicted, and given possible genetic predisposition, perhaps neither is diabetes. Conquering alcoholism requires one to acknowledge said behavior is a) negatively affecting one's overall quality of life, and b) taking conscious, proactive measures and lifestyle changes to separate yourself from temptation

If you can't admit or refuse to accept personality responsibility for your addiction and classify it as a disease which implies some factor outside of your control, how can you persevere the mental and emotional components of addiction needed to maintain sobriety.

On some level, I just imagine you would have to introspect enough to say "Hey, something is wrong with me and I need to fix this, and unless I fix this I stand to potentially suffer lots of negative consequences in my life."
\
This last is true of things like diabetes and poor eyesight, which was my point.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Disease" means that is it is not caused by an external force and is usually incurable. So no, I don't think of it as a disease. I only believe it's an addiction or weakness if the individual cannot exist without it and/or has withdrawal symptoms.

Half the time people aren't even addicted to the alcohol if they drink it hard and straight. It's the grain and sugar mixed in with the ethanol that is the most addicting.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, that isn't what it means.

"A disease is a particular abnormal condition that affects part or all of an organism not caused by external force[1][2] (see 'injury') and that consists of a disorder of a structure or function, usually serving as an evolutionary disadvantage. The study of disease is called pathology, which includes the study of cause. Disease is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.[3] It may be caused by external factors such as pathogens or by internal dysfunctions, particularly of the immune system, such as an immunodeficiency, or by a hypersensitivity, including allergies and autoimmunity."

Source: Disease - Wikipedia

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ok, "external force" in this sense is not talking about everything external. It means a literal physical force. Disease also does not imply incurable.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
It's a weakness of character, but it's genetic. Addictive behavior is genetic and it can manifest itself in alcoholism, smoking, playing video games all day, seeking superficial sexual relationships, browsing the internet too much... some brains seek stimulation too much.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, "external force" in this sense is not talking about everything external. It means a literal physical force. Disease also does not imply incurable.

If you have such an issue with the definition, you can consult and contact the dudes at Wikipedia. You can also make a Wiki account and put in a request to change the page.

Have a wonderful day.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
"A disease is a particular abnormal condition that affects part or all of an organism not caused by external force[1][2] (see 'injury') and that consists of a disorder of a structure or function, usually serving as an evolutionary disadvantage. The study of disease is called pathology, which includes the study of cause. Disease is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.[3] It may be caused by external factors such as pathogens or by internal dysfunctions, particularly of the immune system, such as an immunodeficiency, or by a hypersensitivity, including allergies and autoimmunity."

Source: Disease - Wikipedia

With all due respect, I highlighted the important bits. [MENTION=219]Metamorphosis[/MENTION] is right. It is neither exclusively "caused by an external force", and not all diseases are incurable.

Jaguar

lightsun said:
Do you think or feel alcoholism and substance abuse is a weakness or a disease?

alcoholism: an addiction to the consumption of alcoholic liquor. Hm. And the addiction to the consumption of posts on Facecrook is what?

Lark

alcoholism: an addiction to the consumption of alcoholic liquor. Hm. And the addiction to the consumption of posts on Facecrook is what?

Facecrook?! That's hilarious!

What's your beverage Jag? I'm guessing Scotch but I could be mistaken.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I'm also thinking back to the experiment where the rats were given highly addictive substances, and the whole point of the experiment was to illustrate that having a meaningful life would turn people away from addiction. I also recall another article that addresses the problem of bereavement, suggesting that causes of modern day mental illnesses have to do with disempowerment. The dilemma is, of course, that it is easier to pathologise a vast number of people than to actually change society for the better.