• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental illnesses and type.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Well, because of what they consider ADD, just about every EP has ADD. I think we should invent a pathologization for ESTJ.

An idea worthy of pursuit...something to do with the consequences of sticking to plans with no notice of what's really happening to goals or people??? Like, say, invading Baghdad with no regard for water/utilities/food for civilians or protection of national treasures...

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
oh, yes, the american shadow.

maybe heads of state who resign themselves to the prisoners-dilemma mentality should be diagnosed with "Strangelove".

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
What mental illnesses are more likely to occur in types? I've no real reason for asking other than to simply know.
Is it really possible to know that? That would have to be an exhaustive project and you'd have to be sure you have the correct MBTI type for someone who is imbalanced!
I don't think I would readily trust someone who said they could distinguish such a thing. Though I will say this. I think OCD can look like INTJ, and paranoid schizophrenia can look like INTP but I don't for one second believe they're the same thing.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a question: Do people with dissociative disorder literally have different personality types in them? For example, is one type like INTP and another type ISTJ and another type ESFP and another type INFJ, or how does that work?

strawberryfields

MBTI Type
ENFP
Usehername - I think I might be missing your point about the Myers-Briggs not being validated by the DSM-IV standard, and I think suggesting that makes this study unreliable. You can take people with clinical depression as diagnosed using DSM-IV standard, and then type them according to the Myers-Briggs and see what personality type there is proportionately the highest incidence of depression in? I can't be bothered tracking the article down, it was a study on the Sciencedirect website, and was taken from an academic journal. I appreciate MBTI is subjective but it's hardly like every scientific study uses entirely objective criteria; loads of psychology is about non-clearly defined theories and ideas.

katerp

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
There's a similar topic on another forum, and this is what I posted there:

I'm actually writing a research paper for a psychology class now and in my review of past research I've found some studies on correlations between mental illness and MBTI. All of these studies were published in professional, peer-reviewed journals:

*A 1994 found that those most at risk for suicidal ideation and behaviors are IxxP females, ISFx males, INxP males, and ENxJ males (BTW, their hypothesis was that INFPs would be most at risk for suicide)

*A 1996 study found that depressed patients were more comonly ISxPs, biploar patients were more commonly INxPs, and social phobia patients were usually IxxJ

*A 1997 study found that ITs are overly rigid, ISs are obsessive, and IFs are depressive

*A 1999 study found that bipolar patients are signficantly more extroverted and less judging than unipolar depressed patients (I've also seen a bunch of studies using the Big Five Personality Model that also found bipolar patients are more extroverted than depressed patients)

*A 2002 study found that depression patients were significantly more introverted, sensing, feeling, and perceiving; the overrepresented types are ISFPs and INFPs; and male ISFPs in particular are the most overrepresented in depression

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
There's a similar topic on another forum, and this is what I posted there:

I'm actually writing a research paper for a psychology class now and in my review of past research I've found some studies on correlations between mental illness and MBTI. All of these studies were published in professional, peer-reviewed journals:

*A 1994 found that those most at risk for suicidal ideation and behaviors are IxxP females, ISFx males, INxP males, and ENxJ males (BTW, their hypothesis was that INFPs would be most at risk for suicide)

*A 1996 study found that depressed patients were more comonly ISxPs, biploar patients were more commonly INxPs, and social phobia patients were usually IxxJ

*A 1997 study found that ITs are overly rigid, ISs are obsessive, and IFs are depressive

*A 1999 study found that bipolar patients are signficantly more extroverted and less judging than unipolar depressed patients (I've also seen a bunch of studies using the Big Five Personality Model that also found bipolar patients are more extroverted than depressed patients)

*A 2002 study found that depression patients were significantly more introverted, sensing, feeling, and perceiving; the overrepresented types are ISFPs and INFPs; and male ISFPs in particular are the most overrepresented in depression

Aren't the 2nd and 4th points contradicting each other?
Bipolar patients are commonly INxPs , and then bipolar patients are significantly more extroverted?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What mental illnesses are more likely to occure in types? I've no real reason for asking other than to simply know.

I would like to know as well.

Speaking as an INFJ, I have battled depression sometimes tinged with suicidal periods and feelings of purposelessness/worthlessness all my life. The only things I've seemed to've outgrown were panic attacks and an eating disorder in my youth. Other than those aberrations, it seems suspiciously cyclical... every 7-10 years or so? Of course, this could be completely unrelated to type and only related to me.

Or, like most things, it could be the unfortunate combination of circumstances and inclinations.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I would like to know as well.

Speaking as an INFJ, I have battled depression sometimes tinged with suicidal periods and feelings of purposelessness/worthlessness all my life. The only things I've seemed to've outgrown were panic attacks and an eating disorder in my youth. Other than those aberrations, it seems suspiciously cyclical... every 7-10 years or so? Of course, this could be completely unrelated to type and only related to me.

Or, like most things, it could be the unfortunate combination of circumstances and inclinations.
I have heard about the cyclical thing before and it was about 25 years ago so I no longer remember specifics, but I think you're right in thinking it has less to do with type, and more to do with inclinations.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
One noticeable thing if you look at the studies is...depression seems to run in personalities that are quite different from the ESTJ cultural norms. Duh. It's hard to stay upbeat when day in, day out you're being told you don't really look at things the right way...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Just out of curiosity:

Has anybody met a depressed ESTJ?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You probably find alot at the moment, but you werent refering to financial depression, were you ? :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, this seems to directly oppose what was said in another thread about T types... About them being unhappy, or something.

ESTJ is dominant T. How does this work?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, this seems to directly oppose what was said in another thread about T types... About them being unhappy, or something.

ESTJ is dominant T. How does this work?

How depressed can you get when instead of pondering the meaning of your existence, you're pondering whether to plant rhododendrons or begonias?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
According to these people, quite unhappy.

Then again, I get depressed just fathoming how to pronounced 'rhododendrons'.

First of all, that is a thread on an forum full of opinions.
Please don't go around quoting people's opinions on forums as authoritative.
I did not see any authorities quoted. If there are some, go ahead and post them here.
Secondly, I can't see how you came to your conclusion. Were there any ESTJs mentioned or taking part in that conversation? Post it here if there is.
Not all T types are prone to depression.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
First of all, that is a thread on an forum full of opinions.
Please don't go around quoting people's opinions on forums as authoritative.
I did not see any authorities quoted. If there are some, go ahead and post them here.
Secondly, I can't see how you came to your conclusion. Were there any ESTJs mentioned or taking part in that conversation? Post it here if there is.
Not all T types are prone to depression.

That was not what I was implying.

Mostly, I was wondering why the people there thought that Ts were prone to depression while most here say they are not.

The blatant contradiction is what interests me -- mostly that so many people there insist that F is necessary to be happy, while apparent studies show that Fs are more likely to be unhappy.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That was not what I was implying.

Mostly, I was wondering why the people there thought that Ts were prone to depression while most here say they are not.

The blatant contradiction is what interests me -- mostly that so many people there insist that F is necessary to be happy, while apparent studies show that Fs are more likely to be unhappy.
It depends on what kind of a T.
STs are different than NTs.