• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crying

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Was wondering. Im not a big crier at all. I only do it when Im really overwhelmed or... sometimes randomly Ill shed a few tears at some sad commercial- while sort of making fun of myself at the same time as that happens?

But. I really rarely REALLY cry. Maybe a few times a year- and then usually its just BAD.

But some people cry a lot. I have an aunt who cries at some point just about every time I see her. So I was wondering other peoples experience with this.

Do you cry often? Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you expereince it?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
He he he he he eh this is a hard question for me to answer since I am not very aware of my emotions :(. Hmmmm I tend to cry when I am very upset at something like remembering a long dead relative or pet or when I fall out with someone I hold dear:cry:. I also cry when I hear a song that reminds me of old times.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Times I cry:

* When pets die
* When pets/random animals from movies/series die
* (Not in years but it has happened) When I get so frustrated about something that hitting a pillow isn't enough. Then I cry myself to sleep and wake up just fine. But it's more like "on demand" as a therapeutic release of emotions. Then I go back to my usual neutrality towards everything.

But yeah, I'm not the crying type, when bad stuff happens I'd rather hit a tree with a bat than lie down in fetal position in the corner of a room with a box of Kleenex.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to cry a lot, I was really sensitive growing up so something as simple as being around unfamiliar people would make me cry. After the crybaby phase went away, I'd cry like maybe once a week? I know that's really weird lol, but it was a therapeutic thing for me as a young teenager. Crying was a great release and I hate crying in front of people, so that time alone to just let everything out was helpful. Nowadays I don't cry as much, not because I don't want to per se, it just hasn't happened that much. The times that I do cry, it's usually from some work of art (film, music, etc.) or feeling empathy for another person I care about. I definitely think that crying is healthy, not something to stifle or prevent from happening. Sometimes it's the only way I know how to feel my emotions.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I cry all the time. It's funny because it's my natural reaction to basically any overwhelming emotion; sadness, frustration, stress, fear, happiness, gratitude, spiritual moments. I try really hard to hold it in and hate it when I feel it coming on in inappropriate settings (mainly at work cuz my job occasionally makes me cry because it's so stressful). But yes... I have started crying at doctor's appointments and other places I did not want to cry. I generally just pause and suck it back in, even with my intimates.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The last time I cried is when I had to explain to my son that his grandfather was dead. His tears tore me apart.

I barely cried when my father died and I loved him dearly. For some reason I’ll find myself starting to get emotional when an animal is hurt more than with people and even then it’s maybe a tear or two. I guess years of boys don’t cry training worked their magic. I feel sadness but I don’t cry. :shrug:

Not as often as I used to. I usually only do so nowadays when I am PMSing, but it also happens once in a while if I'm in excruciating pain or if someone has deeply wounded my psyche. If I see or feel something that springs those emotions, then I'd probably start crying to let it out.

In general, I think crying is natural and healthy. Sometimes I think we repress our emotions a little too much to where they'd eventually erupt uncontrollably once it reaches its threshold, so it's probably good to let it out every so often. For me, I consider it a release. I mostly cry when I am by myself though, since I'm pretty good at maintaining self control in public. I always try to contain my tears when I can publicly because I hate showing myself in a vulnerable state among others and having the spotlight directed on me. But if I do somehow start crying with others around, it's extremely silent and I'm able to shield my face by looking away or pretending I'm doing something else like reading a book. And other times if I'm unable to get it out but desperately want to, I'll listen to a song that gets me emotional and then the tears would flow naturally.

Sometimes it just feels good to cry. It's like cleaning up the gunk inside and having yourself purified again. At least that's how I see it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I would cry over anything as a kid. I was the biggest crybaby. Thankfully I became more stoic as I had gotten older, but I still remain an HSP.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah. I always feel better after I have cried- it just takes a really long time for me to get to that point. Could be a typology thing- being a 9 and all.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I cry all the time. It's funny because it's my natural reaction to basically any overwhelming emotion; sadness, frustration, stress, fear, happiness, gratitude, spiritual moments. I try really hard to hold it in and hate it when I feel it coming on in inappropriate settings (mainly at work cuz my job occasionally makes me cry because it's so stressful). But yes... I have started crying at doctor's appointments and other places I did not want to cry. I generally just pause and suck it back in, even with my intimates.

This is basically me.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a frustrated crier. Feeling stuck or trapped makes my eyes water.

I'm a visual crier. If I see others cry, I instinctive follow suit. It's especially bad in Pixar movies.

And I think I'm easier to please than I let myself believe. Receiving gifts or anything with heavy sentimental aspects.. I cry from happiness a lot.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you cry often?
It depends what's going on in my life. I'm depressed, lonely, and in pain to some extent a lot of the time, so that doesn't help anything.

Once in awhile I'll have a severe bout of anxiety/panic. Then when I'm on meds for it, the next phase after the anxiety and panic start to subside is being super depressed and weepy. As in crying uncontrollably for hours every day. But I know that's how these things work. Genre Savvy - TV Tropes

Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you expereince it?
Well if you're crying a lot it seems likely that's a sign of a problem. But I'm no expert. :shrug:

á´…eparted

passages
It is exceptionally rare for me to cry. It's a once a year thing or less for me, and even then it's short lived but very painful. I will instinctually hold it in even if I don't want to. A lot of it comes from I feel incredibly self conscious and embarassed if I cry, even if I am totally alone.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I'm a visual crier. If I see others cry, I instinctive follow suit. It's especially bad in Pixar movies.

And I think I'm easier to please than I let myself believe. Receiving gifts or anything with heavy sentimental aspects.. I cry from happiness a lot.

Ahh yes, I know the bolded well. What sorts of situations leave you feeling stuck or trapped? For me it's almost always a time crunch and I have too much on my plate because oh wonderful me signed up for too many activities or committed to too many things. Time just doesn't exist in my mind often, so that can leave me feeling very overwhelmed at times when I find out I just don't have the time to satisfy all my obligations. That's what ends up leaving me feel stuck and unable to escape...I truly hate that feeling :(

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was a crybaby as a kid, but not anymore. Maybe I used up most of my lifelong tear reserves.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ahh yes, I know the bolded well. What sorts of situations leave you feeling stuck or trapped? For me it's almost always a time crunch and I have too much on my plate because oh wonderful me signed up for too many activities or committed to too many things. Time just doesn't exist in my mind often, so that can leave me feeling very overwhelmed at times when I find out I just don't have the time to satisfy all my obligations. That's what ends up leaving me feel stuck and unable to escape...I truly hate that feeling :(

When I am unable to do something about situations that direct affect me. Being stuck in the mud because of something I did is totally fine with me. Being stuck in the mud because of something someone else did? Not okay, but I'll manage.

Being unable to get out of that mud until someone else chooses to do something? Closest thing to hell I can think of. Tears are spilling if others are hindering my path forward in such a way where I cannot just push past them. This has been the biggest factor in the emotional strain that came with being unemployed.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you cry often? Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you expereince it?
I hardly ever cry, at least since I have been an adult, and never in front of others. It is none of their business, it rarely helps the situation, and just makes me feel physically bad. I prefer to defuse sad, stressful, or painful situations otherwise. If others cry around me, it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable because I have no constructive response. If it persists much, it actually makes me less inclined to get involved or to help them. I prefer to wait until they have calmed down some and can describe what the problem is.

When I am unable to do something about situations that direct affect me. Being stuck in the mud because of something I did is totally fine with me. Being stuck in the mud because of something someone else did? Not okay, but I'll manage.

Being unable to get out of that mud until someone else chooses to do something? Closest thing to hell I can think of. Tears are spilling if others are hindering my path forward in such a way where I cannot just push past them. This has been the biggest factor in the emotional strain that came with being unemployed.
My corollary to this is: it is frustrating and annoying when others do stupid things. It is even moreso when I do something stupid. My hell is when others require me to do stupid things, e.g. at work.

Last edited:

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8

Me too! I am a visual cryer and also a sympathy cryer, if you start crying I start crying and immediately trying to comfort you (while crying)
but really I am a happiness cryer , if I am appreciating a moment , even something as simple as windows down my favorite song on and I get this sudden feeling of its just so good to be alive.. here comes the tears!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I cry a lot and they say it's suppose to make you feel better it never does i just feel worse.

Atomic Fiend

I don't cry often, haven't in many years. probably about 4ish. When I do cry it's usually a sign of a complete mental collapse and I probably need to be taken to get help.