• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crying

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For some reason, I can't cry even if I wanted to. Even if tears manage to come out, there are no sobs.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've realized that I barely let myself cry anymore. It's weird. I kind of miss the old me. Maybe I should just let it happen. I almost always end up crying after drinking, so that is probably a good indication that I am holding too much in.

I've realized that I barely let myself cry anymore. It's weird. I kind of miss the old me. Maybe I should just let it happen. I almost always end up crying after drinking, so that is probably a good indication that I am holding too much in.
You could eat something I tried to cook. Guaranteed to make you cry. Or vomit. Maybe both. One way or another you’ll let go of something.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty much an emotional robot when it comes to crying in relation to thinks that directly affect or bother me, yet my face will leak like a faucet randomly during certain movies.

Kas

Fabula rasa
When I cry I turn into river and I run

I put a lot of afford to cry more rarely in my life. As a kid because my sister told me to be more tough and to grow up.
At this point I do not feel comfortable crying in front of people I don't know very well, so I rarely do so. But as above.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Also I can't handle cutting onions even wearing glasses and after putting a knife into cold water :dont:

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I never cried of course - I'm too cool for that :cool:
But I think I would though if someone I really care about died.
I don't really like to look weak or annoying or not in control so guess I'd rather die than to end up crying in front of other people lol :newwink:

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I rarely cry due to physical pain. I often cry for emotional reasons, usually when I'm sad or angry, and I also often cry when I'm moved by something heartwarming, so I guess I cry from happiness. I'm usually moved to tears by books, movies, and conversations with others.

I think it can be really therapeutic.

Digital Lion

I don't cry, as in sob excessively, but I occasionally shed a thug tear or two. However, it's never due to sadness. My sadness only tends to manifest as anger anyway, which I direct towards literal punching bags. But I only allow myself to shed "tears of joy," a la optimistic and persevering sickly children, stuff like Extreme Home Makeover or shows that deal with reuniting broken families and kids that were given up for adoption. Oh boy, that stuff hurts so good.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a fascinating thread, Frosty. Thank you for starting it!

I rarely cry. When I do, it often comes about when I'm trying to verbalize something that I'm feeling on the inside. I'll get snagged on a syllable and then the silent tears come down. Other times the tears sneak up all of a sudden, like when I listened to the Dvorak Serenade the other day. That particular music was/is so dear to me.

The last time I sobbed uncontrollably was in an argument with my SO, last Fall. I was so f-ing exasperated with the whole sudden move thing and felt so goddamned sorry for myself. I could not stop sobbing and had to take a hot bath. Sobbed there, too. Felt better, eventually.

I hate the commercials about animals and the posts on FB about animal adoptions. They don't make me cry, rather, they make me feel utterly powerless and I shut down. I get very depressed. I cannot look at them.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate the commercials about animals and the posts on FB about animal adoptions. They don't make me cry, rather, they make me feel utterly powerless and I shut down. I get very depressed. I cannot look at them.
This is nothing but emotional manipulation, however worthy the cause. I just ignore it all. I don't have energy for that.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been crying a lot lately. I am dealing with some personal things. It has left me very very confused because I am not someone who cries easily.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
when and if i do, it is generally with no trigger or emotion behind it... i am just doing something and it physically happens... one minute i am on a walk, and the next i am on a walk trying to hide that i am crying... even that is really rare... sometimes i feel like i can almost cry when i am upset by something like death... mostly it is useless because even if i push for it nothing happens... i feel it in my tear ducts, like it could almost occur... however, nothing happens after all of the physical ques that i will...

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Will someone please just punch me in the face so that I can feel a different kind of pain? HAHAHAHAHA.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you cry often?

Sadly, yes. It's a natural response to frustration, and I am frustrated very often.

Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you experience it?

I don't really think it's objectively a good or bad thing and the best way to describe it is as a release.

However, for me specifically, I see it as a problem. It's a sign of vulnerability that I don't particularly want to show to anyone unless I am comfortable with them, but sometimes it spills out.

Also, I feel disgusting after. As in, my eyes get dry, puffy, and irritated. My nose gets clogged and my throat usually hurts due to the phlegm build-up. Even after I wash my face, these symptoms still tend to last for a little while, sometimes for the rest of the day.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was a huge cry baby as a kid...I still kind of am. I'm the type that if you yell at me, I'm going to cry. At least now I can go a week without crying ahah, and I can hold it back when I do feel like crying. These days when I cry it's usually from said yelling, stress(work sometimes makes me wanna cry), flashbacks or some sort of depressive spell. I don't think it's necessarily good or bad, it's just sitting in a pile of salty water. I don't really like to cry in front of others, but some people are used to my crying anyway so.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I experience emotions very slow, heavy, and hard. I'm the 'still waters run deep' type of emotional person. Throughout my life I have had times of crying deeply for like an hour, sometimes longer at one time, but I have almost always been alone. I don't remember ever crying like that in front of another person. I've always had a lot of emotional control where I can feel sad enough to cry like that, but hold it off until I can be alone. I've been performing since I was 16, and so developed that ability.

There are sometimes that I tear up a little, but my crying is not often sentimental or in quick response to my environment.

I've had a few moments of social pressure where I ended up crying at the most inopportune time and embarrassed myself. Those were moments of frustration like when I was on jury duty for weeks and ended up being the deciding vote and the jury bullied me into a decision I couldn't actually make based on the evidence. I started crying locked in the jury room with them. I just remember one man who was short, red-faced, and super angry at me for not being able to make the same snap judgments he made.

I think crying is a release for me and saves me from having more pain stored in my body ending up as muscle tension, nausea, and headache.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I cry typically once a year? Typically it's a stress related sort of thing I think or me being overwhelmed (because I have little ability to gauge my own mental limitations and ten to overdo myself continuously for a year till I reach my breaking point... not on purpose of course). In recent years, I occasionally cry when people bring up certain topics or say kind and genuine things to me, and it's weird because there's very little mental or even physical feelings (outside of anxiety maybe?) that come with that. I'm good at crying without knowing my triggers, but unless you consider yearly to bi-yearly crying often, I'd say I only cry once in a blue moon. When I cry, it's typically for 1 minute tops, I'm pretty inclined to repress.

Logically, I think crying is a positive thing because it allows the brain to release neurotransmitters and other hormones that are existing with excess in your brain (or like.. foreign molecules of course) and that's good, but also... Expressing emotions in general is something I don't like at all and crying is particularly weird and embarrassing to me because I don't really know how to deal with it?

EDIT: WAIT I tear up a lot when I laugh genuinely, every single time, so maybe that counts as like "occasionally" if laugh cry counts as crying. Idk why I do that either, maybe my brain sees serotonin as a foreign invader.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Was wondering. Im not a big crier at all. I only do it when Im really overwhelmed or... sometimes randomly Ill shed a few tears at some sad commercial- while sort of making fun of myself at the same time as that happens?

But. I really rarely REALLY cry. Maybe a few times a year- and then usually its just BAD.

But some people cry a lot. I have an aunt who cries at some point just about every time I see her. So I was wondering other peoples experience with this.

Do you cry often? Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you expereince it?

Im going to edit/update this.

I actually cry fairly frequently now. I mean, its not ridiculously often or anything but I cried tonight at a sad movie. Ive found in the past few years Ive becone a sucker when it conss to crying at sad things not directly involving myself. Movies/books/stories I hear from people. I just start feeling bad that such terrible things can happen and then get happy tears I guess when something good finally happens or hope is brought somehow into the picture.

Ive become, and probably always was, quite the sap.

But yeah. I still dont really cry much otherwise. I dont cry much when it comes to my own experience unless I am really overwhelmed and caught completely off guard and really struggling to cope with a lot of feelings/something traumatizing has happened and Im blowing it up in my mind. But even this is rare and usually happens just all at once like a volcano erupting that I just cant hold in any longer.

But besides that, crying just isnt my go to for dealing with day to day sadness. It takes quite a lot to really MAKe me cry in the real world but once Im there Im a mess.

But I dont think of crying as being bad anymore and I dont anymore try to actively stop myself from doing it. Its naturalto have emotions and express them when needed. Crying must serve SOME biologic purpose right?

Ok now Ill shut up here too but heres an update 3 or so years later from me. Yay!

Yay?

Yay!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Was wondering. Im not a big crier at all. I only do it when Im really overwhelmed or... sometimes randomly Ill shed a few tears at some sad commercial- while sort of making fun of myself at the same time as that happens?

But. I really rarely REALLY cry. Maybe a few times a year- and then usually its just BAD.

But some people cry a lot. I have an aunt who cries at some point just about every time I see her. So I was wondering other peoples experience with this.

Do you cry often? Do you think crying often is a good thing? A release? Or a problem? Or just how do you expereince it?
I used to be a non-crier but I worked on it. I experience all of the emotions in a free but somehat restricted matter. Maybe it's education. I do cry. I've cried because of how Ivanova didn't find love in Babylon 5. I've cried over the marital problems of the main cast in Breaking Bad. I've cried over the problems of the female protagonist having a crush with the male protagonist in the tv show Dark Angel.

I've found out I can find inspiration from situations where I cry. I've cried because my wife has been harassed and her situation worsened for a time. I've cried because we had to leave someone out of a plan.

ENTJ cry baby here.